“Go To Restaurant”
Review of Amalfi Ristorante

Amalfi Ristorante
Ranked #117 of 318 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Italian
Description: There's two locations in Waterbury with the name Amalfi. One is a pizzaria/deli/catering. The other is a traditional restaurant.
Reviewed 22 April 2015

Firstly my review is regarding the restaurant on Wolcott, not Chase Avenue. We have been coming here for several years and have never had a bad meal. We do not live in Waterbury; therefore do not come that often but have been with company and have tasted or seen about a dozen different meals. Veal 'amalfi' is one of our favorites. The dining area is spacious and our waiter was super friendly and attentive. His name was Michael. Love their rich thick sauce and you always go home with welcomed leftovers. They had a special $10 bottle of Pinot which we purchased and it was delicious. It is a perfect place for families and meeting up with friends; not a romantic setting and a place where you can visit and not feel rushed. We have never tried their pizza but it looks delicious. It is a convenient place to go after shopping to get away from the crowds and traffic in the malls.

1  Thank jerika

Reviewed 2 January 2015

We have enjoyed dinner multiple times. Great atmosphere and clean dining area. Pizza is awesome as well.

1  Thank RalphsRapidTransit
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very disappointed this evening. Let me first say I am a loyal customer to their take out on chase ave. I have never had a bad meal there. But this restaurant is not there his he same food. This may be one of the worst food I have ever paid for. Eggplant parm was just a soggy mess. Chicken parm was bland & dry. Definitely not cooking fresh. All the fried appetizer was frozen food. Just too bad, I like the owner and the staff is nice. But they do not know what they are doing.

5  Thank Martin N
Reviewed 9 March 2014

First, as other reviews have pointed out, there are two Amalfi's in Waterbury. Not sure if they have same owners. The picture on Trip Advisior for Amalfi's Ristorante on Wolcott Street is the picture of the Chase Avenue location.
My review will be about the Wolcott Street location, which is the traditional sit down restaurant.
Went Saturday night with 2 other couples, 3 kids, and 1 infant. They had two high chairs, one of which had a broken strap. Why can't an owner just fix these things?? There is two rooms for dining. One room doubles as their private function room, and the other is another large room with maybe 10 or so tables. There is no ambiance, no soft lighting, no dinner music. What you do have on either side of the room are two huge TVs hanging on the wall. One had ESPN on and the other CNN. If your date night is not going well, you can just watch TV. Although, I'm not sure I would bring first date here.
Our waitrerss was nice, and attentive but still needed a little work. First, Carbernet wine as we all know is pronounced caber "nay ". Our waitress kept pronuncing it caber"net". No one on staff can correct her?
The menu has your standard italian fair choices, including pizza and children's choices. Nightly specials too.
The bread that came to the table while waiting for dinner was, well, incredible. Hot Pepperoni bread made on premise. You need to be careful you don't fill up on bread as you will keep ordering more.
I ordered the Chicken Saltimbocca. Very good. Remember, the prosciutto is salty, so if you not a fan of prosciutto you might not like it. The portion was a good size too. My wife ordered the Penne alla Vodka with chicken. Very very good. Plus, it was probably the largest plate of food we had seen in a while. At least a couple days worth of left overs!
Our friend ordered the calzone with meatball & sausage. This was not your typical calzone. Their large calzone is, well the largest calzone you will ever see! And, it's good too! Be prepared to take home what you can't finish, and I'm telling you - you won't finish it!
Overall, Amalfi's food is good. The portions are large, and quite delicious. But you are eating in one small loud room with no character at all - well, except for the one's on the TVs!

3  Thank CTSoxFan
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Amalfi on Chase Ave has always been our 'go to' spot for pizza. This particular evening only the restaurant on Wolcott St was open since it was past 9 p.m. so we bought a pizza and a chef's salad to go. It pains me to say that I was extremely disappointed with the quality of food we bought. It seemed like absolutely no care went into the construction of this pizza, as it was obviously charred with the top of the crust black in some spots. It was cut haphazardly so the slices were disproportionate and the bottom of the crust, we found, was also a bit burned. The chef's salad looked as though a toddler put it together. Normally the meat & cheese is rolled tightly with nice presentation on the salad but this time it was like all of the ingredients were just lazily thrown into a bowl. It's a real shame. Where's the quality I've come to appreciate from the Chase Ave location? I've always enjoyed Amalfi's pizza and I love that the owner always recognizes us when we stop in. We will probably still give Chase Ave another chance but Wolcott St lost my business.

5  Thank Sarah M