“Savior during the winter storm power outage”

Courtyard Waterbury Downtown
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Waterbury
Reviewed 27 December 2011

After loosing power in Middlebury on the night of the storm and being told by CL&P that I would be without power for at least a week, I jumped in my car and sarted driving around to all the hotels in my area to see if they had any rooms. After visitng 3 hotels my last stop was at the Courtyard Marriiott in Waterbury. What a pleasant surprise after standing in line for a about 10 minutess they said yes, we have one more room left. What an incredible stay. My children and my parenets and I stayed warm, had great meals, had a pool and cable for our 7 day stay at the hotel. The rooms were impeccibly clean, the staff bent over backwards for everyone (and they were SO busy I can imagine the stress). The rooms were spacious, carpets new, sheest crisp clean and room decor beautiful. I now proudly reccomend this hotel to guests traveling through, Waterbury is lucky to have this hotel with great management.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Courtyard-Waterbury, Senior Sales Manager at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

We are so happy we had a room available for you! I am also delighted that you had a wonderful, cozy stay. Hopefully the snow stays away for a little longer!!!

Reviewed 21 December 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel for a weekend getaway with the Family to visit a local Indoor Waterpark. The hotel was exceptionally clean and easy to locate. Not to mention, every single staff member on board was friendly, more than polite and helpful - I was so impressed by the pleasant staff! The hot Breakfast Buffet was also great; there was so much variety to choose from. My husband and kids couldn't get enough of the indoor pool and I myself really enjoyed the hot spa tub adjacent to the pool. Overall this is a very nice hotel, I would definitely stay there again and recommend to others!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

We hopre to have your and your kids back for a dip in our heated pool soon! Thank you for the review!

Reviewed 14 December 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here 12/10/11-12/11/11. The hotel was very close to the interstate and there is free parking in a garage directly adjacent. The staff was friendly and our room was clean and spacious. We also used the pool and hot tub, although it appeared that the fitness center was closed for renovations. Overall, we were very pleased with our decision to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Very clean hotel but the service wasn't really there. Staff seemed to be busy in their own thoughts.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank travelingdude81
Courtyard-Waterbury, Senior Sales Manager at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I am quite pleased you found our hotel to be well kept up. We have a very dedicated housekeeping and maintenance team that we are truly proud of. We will continue to work with all of our employees to ensure they possess the service essential to make you feel at home.

Best Regards,

Tiffany Miles.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed here for one night in early November while driving through Connecticut. The hotel is easy to access from the highway, the room was clean, offered great service and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Courtyard-Waterbury, Senior Sales Manager at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We are happy to hear you had an effortless stay at our hotel. WE hope to have you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed here one night due to the October winter storm and power outage. We were looking for a warm place to sleep and hot water. The trouble started when I was checking in. I was at the desk and the customer service person was so slow. Plus, he kept answering the phone while I was attempting to check in. The entire process should have taken 10 minutes, but it lasted about 35 minutes. The hotel has a free parking garage that is secure at night, which was nice.
When we walked into the room it seemed clean and the linens matched the walls/decor. However, the room seemed outdated and the improvements were superficial (like linens). The paint/walls in the shower were cracking and peeling. The heating system was so old. It wasn't a digital display and the thermostat didn't work. We turned the heat to cold and the AC on, but there was no relief. The room must have been 80-85 degrees. It was so hot that we were sweating.
Also, because the hotel is located in downtown Waterbury, it is extremely loud all night. We opened the windows to get some cool air in, but had to close them because of the noise. There is street noise, yelling people and loud clocks all night long. Overall, it was horrible and we couldn't sleep at all. We left the next morning wishing we had stayed in our house without power & heat (39 degrees at home).
Lastly, we had made our reservation using Hotels.com and paid at the time of booking. A few days after we checked out the hotel charged us for the room. This was a second charge in addition to the fee we paid on Hotels.com. I called the hotel to have the second charge removed and they didn't apologize or even explain the mistake. They did remove the charge.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Your reviewed is appreciated by the hotel. We were glad you were able to book a room at our hotel during the power outages many surronding cities suffered during the 1st snow storm of the season. As you know many people were without power. In fact we had a waiting list of over 100+ guests and that impacted our heavy phone traffic we experienced. We are thankful as alot of our staff members over extended themselve 16+ hours a day to fulfil the unexpected demand we received. Our renovation was complete in 2008 and we spent over 4+ million remodeling the entire hotel, guest rooms, restaurant, banquet space, in addition to the wallpaper, paint and linens. I am sorry to hear about your billing issues and am very thankful the issue has been corrected. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband stayed here twice this past weekend due to a canceled concert at the Palace Theater that was rescheduled. We arrived during a nasty snowstorm to a full hotel. They had our reservation and we were pleasantly surprised by the king sized bed room. The room had a small couch (which folded out to a bed we noticed) and coffee table. There was also a desk area that had a pull out table so there was a lot of workspace if needed. You could tell the rooms had recently been redone as everything look clean and new. Due to the storm there were some power surges but we never lost power. The bar stayed open late to accomodate the stranded guests (and the band). The front desk workers were cordial and helpful even though they were over extended due to the storm. Also wifi was free and pretty fast and parking was free - two things you hardly ever get at this price point. I would return if in the area again.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor or one that doesn't face the street. Can be a lot of street noise.