“Nice Stay - clean, quiet, reasonably priced”

Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Windsor
DC
“Nice Stay - clean, quiet, reasonably priced”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Just stayed one night and will come back again. Recently remodeled and very quiet. Although clearly visible on a hill from route 91, it is a mile or so away so there was no road noise and had a view. The rooms with balconies also have an in-wall HVAC that was very quiet (I hate window HVAC units which are always noisy).

Service was great - very friendly and responsive.

My only quibble was with the Fitness equipment - no weight machines other than free weights (but it did have nice bikes, stairstepper, treadmill). Pool was nice but not big enough for laps.

Room Tip: Get room with balcony for better HVAC and view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Richard A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you so much for the nice comments regarding my hotel. I appreciate your business and for posting the comments.

Richard D. Austermann
Direct Line 860-731-4112
Cell 413-237-3761
richard.austermann@ihrco.com
Interstate Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 19 November 2011

As a long-time Hilton Diamond HHonors member, I was pleased with this HGI property and am happy to recommend it to you as a great lodging option located near the Hartford airport and a quick 15 - 20 minute drive into downtown Hartford itself.

The property is located on a hill just off the interstate and a couple of miles from the airport; acess back on to the interstate is quick and easy and the drive to/from downtown Hartford never took me more than 15 minutes. There is plenty of free parking in front, on the side, and in the back. Check in took just a minute and my king room on the 6th floor was very nice.

This property has signs touting a recent $3 million rennovation, and the common areas and rooms show the benefit. Hall carpeting is new and contemporary. My room's carpeting and furnishings were new and very, very clean. Rooms feature the usual HGI amenities and a large LG flat panel TV with a good selection of channels. My king bed was extremely comfortable, with a spotless duvet. HVAC worked well and kept the room comfortable at all times. Internet access (free, as at all HGI properties) was reasonably fast.

The business center was clean, well-equipped, and offered a variety of complimentary office supplies. The health club was well-equipped and clean. The restaurant is a little on the small side and would likely be crowded/noisy when the hotel is full. However, service was great, the food was well prepared and offered at reasonable prices.

Overall, my stay at this HGI was relaxing, comfortable, and exceeded my expectation in all respects (and I tend to be a fairly demanding reviewer). This HGI is among the best I've stayed at during the past year and I recommend it to you if you're staying in the Hartford area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor offer nice views of the area
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Flying_Lawyer
Richard A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you for the nice comments provided on tripadvisor regarding the Hilton Garden Inn-Windsor, CT. We appreciate feedback from our guests and use it to better service future guests.

I hope we have the opportunity to be a part of your travel plans the next time you are in the Windsor, CT area. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Richard D. Austermann
Plano, TX
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I'm a Hilton Honors member who travels frequently and to Hartford/Windsor are for business. Since this property completed its "renovation", I began using it as my "default" booking option for travel to the area and have spent 3-5 nights per month over 3 months in the hotel. Unfortunately, I've had to accept the realization that their "renovation" is only skin deep and that the renovation didn't include a much needed staff overhaul.

On my last two visits, the rooms I've stayed in have a funny smell that I can't quite pinpoint and couldn't eliminate with Febreeze or anything else. On my most recent visit, I had to have maintenance remove BLACK MOLD from the bathroom ceiling! The guy literally showed up with rubber gloves and bleach solution and the staff was clearly annoyed that I asked to change rooms. While the maintenance guy was in my room I asked about the smell and he said it was probably a dirty air filter. He opened the unit to access the filter and remove it for cleaning and.....as he's taking it from my room to clean it....all kinds of "crud" is falling off it onto the floor and into the air....not sure the thing had EVER been cleaned.

The next morning, while showering, I realized my tub wasn't draining properly so I was standing in dirty water as I showered. When leaving for the day, I asked if they could fix it while I was out; next day......never fixed. I also don't think (on any of my visits) housekeeping ever mops the bathroom floors.

With the exception of the young lady who works the breakfast shift in the restaurant, bad attitudes abound with the room service/restaurant, maintenance and housekeeping staff. They all seem to have an "it's not my problem" attitude.

Positives: convenient location, refrigerator & microwave in sapcious room, new furniture & carpeting.

Unfortunately, the positives aren't enough to outweigh the real underlying service and maintenance problems that I've experienced on 3 recent visits in 3 different rooms. It's Marriott for me in Windsor from now on.......

Room Tip: Choose Marriott Windsor instead.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank travlingirl1123
Richard A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to notify me of the concerns you had with my property. I would like to discuss this with you if possible. Please contact me at the hotel
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in August and enjoyed it very much. The hotel was very clean, the beds were comfortable (they could use some better pillows though). The hotel staff we encountered were very nice, so I'm not sure about the staff(ers) referred to in previous reviews. Our first night, we arrived late and didn't know the surrounding area, so we just ate at the hotel's restaurant. The food was good and the service was very accommodating considering that they were about to close, we were not really rushed at all. Our waiter was very nice and my kids had him laughing. My only problem with the place was the AC unit kicking on and off all night...it would get hot, then the AC would kick in (loudly), then it'd get cool and shut off...wash, rinse, repeat all night long....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This 10 year old hotel had been recently modernized. It looked like it has just opened. Room was large, had very comfortable bed, large flat screen TV and even an iron and ironing board,. Had a buffet breakfast that was excellent and priced right. Front desk very friendly and helpful. Had indoor pool, hot tub and large exercise room with good equipment.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Old Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I checked in on Business. Walked to the front desk where the woman hardly acknowledged me. She wasn't polite or friendly at all. I got up to my room to have two beds and my reservation was for a KING. I called down to explain this problem and she immediately put me on hold without asking me to hold. I was on hold so long I hung up and called back to the front desk , after 15 minutes my room was changed. The next day I went to the front desk for directions to a restaurant in South Windsor and another FRONT DESK WOMEN WAS JUST AS USELESS AS THE WOMEN WHO CHECKED ME IN! Long story short the FRONT DESK service was poor. I'm a frequent guest at the Hilton Properties and I've never had service like this. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend this place to friends, family or colleagues.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed here three nights for a work trip. This is a great hotel for the business traveler, and I would also recommend it for a personal stay. There’s a welcoming reception area (all renovations mentioned in prior reviews must now be complete). The first floor restaurant/lounge area would be nice to relax with a drink/book at the end of the day. When I did my bed bug/check the mattress test, I was very happy to see how new the mattress and covers were, and also how CLEAN everything in the room was (no worries about going barefoot).

The little touches add up: the in-room coffee creamers are individual liquid packs, vs. the powdered crap. The bathroom is fully stocked with toiletries, and there’s a fridge & micro in room. Prices for the pantry’s food/drinks were reasonable ($1.50 for water vs. $3+ that I’ve seen at other hotels), and breakfast could be done a la carte (nice if you just want a bowl of cereal), or the full buffet (the rosemary potatoes were pretty darn fabulous.) Every staff person I met was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
0.2 km away
1.8 km away
Residence Inn Hartford Windsor
5.3 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!