“Far from everything”

GreenLeadersGold level
Newark, Delaware
“Far from everything”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Wanted to try this hotel, even though it has quite a history. Was able to use spg points though it was 4000 more points than hotel in nyc.
Anyway, expected it to be 5 star because of the cost. $31.00 for a sirloin steaks!!! I mean, why not ribeye or filet..but sirloin???
Not within walking distance to anything so if you're not familiar with the area you would probably decide to eat here.
Expected it to be close in atmosphere and dining to hotel dupont or christiana Hilton. I'd say It's only a 3 star hotel.
Also we spent extra to be on the club floor, but when we checked in were told club lounge is closed on weekends. They compensated with breakfast tickets and two free drinks. Would have rather had access to lounge. They should have told us it would be closed when we booked the room.
The room was very clean, and the bed was heavenly. Love Sheraton beds!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank brhaps1
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear "brhaps1",
Thank you for choosing to use your SPG points for your stay with us. We are listed as a category 4 Hotel for point redemptions (7,000 points) similar to most Sheraton Hotels unless they are in a resort location where they are listed as category 5 Hotel (10,000 points). We feel we offer excellent dining options if you choose to stay in or we are 10 minutes from both downtown Wilmington and the Christiana Mall for alternate dining options. I am glad you enjoyed the Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper Beds" and the cleanliness of the room!
Jeremy C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

This hotel is truly 4 stars! Love everything from the spacious suites, lounge, restaurant, the business center (or link as they say), HUGE gym with top of the line equipment, pool/got rub...I could go on and on. It was all capped off by the incredible customer service. The sales team is also remarkable.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear "Claude R",
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate you noticed some of the great amenities we have to offer. Of course our greatest amenity is our staff and I am glad you noticed!
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I were in town visiting friends, we decided to stay at at the closest SPG properties. The hotel is great, the rooms are huge and the beds are comfortable. We stayed in the Junior suite, it was amazing. Would definitely stay there again if I am in the area. Did not wake up early enough to have breakfast, so cant comment about it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear "mehtap3",
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. As a member of the Starwood family, the Sheraton brand participates in the SPG program as you mentioned. You can either earn points on your stay or redeem points for your stay. I am glad you enjoyed one of our 80 Junior Suites which have approximately 415 square feet of space. Our 60 Deluxe Suties are even more spacious with approximately 675 square feet of space. Next time you will have to get up early enough to enjoy a delicious breakfast in the Wilmington Grille!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Can I say this is a GREAT HOTEL...Right next to 95. From the time I checked in the front desk staff treated and welcomed me perfect. They explained all the amenities around the hotel to the "T". Next the room/bathroom was clean and comfortable. Bed was so comfortable that I wanted to sleep right away but I had to go back to work. I missed the food/breakfast service but from what I saw the food was great. Pool area was nice/big and clean also had room for the handicap. Had express checkout( Thats always a plus). Will definitely be back for business or pleasure

Dear "Cruzin_Travels",
Thank you for the compliments. We love that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned we are conveniently located adjacent 95. Can't wait to have you come back again!
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was impressed with this Sheraton. It felt more like a Westin experience. The rates seemed high to me, but the reason for those rates are because this really is more like a "4 star Sheraton." The lobby area is beautiful. The rooms, many of them suites, are tastefully decorated and comfortable.

There were some disappointments for a newly designed hotel. First, the hotel went cheap with HVAC and installed cheap 2.5 star hotel style window units. It was awful and sounded like a jet engine. At the very least, the suites should have the central style unit. The parlor only had a fan in the wall between the two rooms. This resulted in very uneven climate, with the parlor being much warmer. The bathroom was standard Sheraton. However, while hot, the shower flow was obnoxiously weak. The tub itself and shower head were cheap. The refrigerator and microwave was convenient. The bed is not the Sheraton bed I love, but something else (temperpedic?). It was awful, and I hope this hotel gets the regular Sheraton mattresses sometime in the future.

The club lounge was nice. It is two stories and very open. The asian appetizers for free were the same things off the menu. There is an expensive automatic coffee/espresso/cappuccino etc machine which was nice. Everything was clean and presented perfectly. The breakfast was the usual free club lounge breakfast. It was fine and a great value.

The restaurant here is easily on par with the Westins I've eaten at. I was very impressed with my food. Debbie is also a wonderful bartender and great to talk with. The restaurant was priced appropriately for the quality. I would consider going there just to eat and drink. (and say hi to Debbie)

Location wise, it is off the turnpike but you can't access it directly off the turnpike. I didn't look at directions soon enough because I've seen it from the turnpike and thought I'd be fine. Please be careful with directions if you don't know for sure. There is nothing immediately nearby to do. It is an easy 15 minute drive from University of Delaware.

Despite the flaws, overall this feels closer to a 4 star hotel than a 3.5 and I feel it is highly recommendable. The staff were excellent, the restaurant/bar was stellar, and the rooms were nice. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear "csj81",
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I agree with you that we feel more like a Westin than a Sheraton. The open atrium lobby is a unique design that is not seen frequently. I am glad you were able to enjoy the Sheraton Club. The continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres are just a few of the amazing benefits available for a small premium or if you are a Platinum SPG guest. I am glad you were able to make a connection with Debbie in the Atrium Lounge. We feel it is a great place to meet for happy hour or dinner any day of the week.
I also appreciate your feedback for improvement. From your description it sounds like you stayed in one of our Junior Suites. We also have 60 Deluxe Suites which have a separate HVAC unit in both the bedroom and living room. This might allow for a more even climate split as you mentioned. As for the pressure in the shower, we do offer the Sheraton showerhead which meets the Brand's desire to lead the industry in environmental sustainability practices. I am sorry if this did not meet your needs. We also offer the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Mattress. Take a peak under the sheets on your next trip to Delaware.
I agree with your feedback on the directions. It is important to take a look at our website and have handy prior to driving. I am having difficulty getting signage on 95 to direct you here. We are adjacent 95 at exit 5A.
Thank you again for your feedback and your postive comments on our staff. It is very important that we exceed your expectations when staying with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
albany
Reviewed 16 April 2012

comfortable beds, friendly staff, good restaurant makes for a comfortable stay.

Dear "csj81",
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I am glad you had a "comfortable stay". Our team works diligently to create an environment for guests to relax. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
cuyahoga falls, ohio
Reviewed 11 April 2012

It's not often that a hotel has such incredible staff that serve with such kindness and concern. I arrived at the hospital with my 92 year old father who was very ill. Not only was the staff helpful, but they did everything they could to accommodate us. I could not have asked for better treatment. The handicap room they gave us was exactly what we needed. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel and know that in the future I will stay at the Sheraton Wilmington South. GREAT SERVICE - GREAT STAFF!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sara w
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear "sara w.",
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. It is exciting to hear the team exceeded your expectations. I am sorry to hear your father was ill, but hope that we made him feel as comfortable as we could. We would love to welcome you and your father back again (hopefully under less stressful circumstances).
Warm regards,

Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
7.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!