“Quality? I don't think so...”

Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This "hotel" was definitely not a hotel, but rather a motel. It was lacrosse tournament weekend, and my daughter and I simply wanted a clean, comfortable room to spend the night in. We arrived before the games started to check in- my room wasn't ready, but the room of our friends that we were traveling with was ready. We opened the door, and were immediately greeted with a horrible stench, although the room was supposedly non-smoking. Everything was at least 30 years outdated, filthy, and in need of a serious remodel. To top it all off there was a dead bug under the sheets on the bed. We contemplated switching hotels, but ultimately ended up having to stay due to lack of rooms at neighboring hotels. There are 2 2 story smoking buildings, and 2 1 story non-smoking buildings, in addition to the nice building 5. They are all equally gross and outdated, and poorly lit during nighttime hours. Another friend of ours in the same plight also found bugs, both dead and alive, in her room and was needless to say disgusted. There was no dining hall for the "breakfast," as it was located in 3 hotel rooms. Would recommend steering clear of that, and as a matter of fact this "hotel" entirely, it is not worth your money, stress, fear, and aggravation. Don't be fooled by the remolded lobby - the rest is pretty much a nightmare. Funny how the actual buildings you will be lodging in were conveniently left out of their online photo gallery....

Room Tip: Make sure to request building 5 when you call, it is the only one of 5 buildings that has been renov...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina A
Stella S, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

We appreciate your comments. I am so sorry you were not comfortable during your stay. Having a room that is not 100% clean is unacceptable and I would love to speak to you directly about your experience. I can be reached by phone at 302-328-0226 or by email at gm.de005@choicehotels.com.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Check-in was somewhat confusing with the closed restaurants next to the building and an out-of-date instruction sheet.

Route 40 has a large selection of places to eat, but the Golden Dove Diner (back ~ 1 mile on 40W) is a great place.

Breakfast was OK, with 2 waffle makers, but small choice other than that.

When I turned on the shower, a wad of hair floated away from the drain. How gross!!! That alone will keep me from returning.

Room Tip: No elevators for second story rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband and I needed to stop (bad weather) during a trip from SC to RI. We arrived around 9 pm. We were taken care of by a wonderful lady at the front desk who let us know exactly where everything was. After a bad day, she made us feel much better. According to my receipt, her name is [ddoyle.de005] She was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The hotel wasn't huge or luxurious but it was clean and welcoming and the beds were comfortable :) Due to renovations, there wasn't a great breakfast selection but because the hotel was in town, we found breakfast right up the road before getting back on the interstate.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. As a hotel, we accommodate many guests each night. It is nice to know that we made you feel comfortable during your stay with us. Dee Doyle was the guest service agent who checked you in. She is certainly an asset to our company and I will be sure to pass your comments along to her. Our breakfast is still a "work in progress" and we hope to it completely stocked to the high standards that guests have come to expect from all Choice Hotels International properties. We look forward to accommodating you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times and, in fact, the time before last was in January 2012 when they actually upgraded us to a suite due to the extent of our stop-overs there. We were traveling through that area again in May and when requesting a king bed were told they "didn't have anything available", so we requested a suite, only to be told that the price for that was $40 more than their king beds (which they supposedly did not have available). Whereas it was late in the evening we settled for a queen room that had a pull-out bed in a couch as well as the queen bed. Even though they had an extra sleeping accomodation, there was no additional bedding available. The room came with three very small pillows and no extra towels or any other accomodations. As to the actual bed - the mattress was dipped in the middle and I spent most of the night hanging onto the edge of the bed so that I wasn't crushed into the middle! Prior to retiring for the night, we walked through the entire complex and there were only about 10 vehicles in the lots and no additional lighting coming from any of the rooms. Which made us wonder how all the king rooms had been sold out! In fact, several of the rooms that we had stayed in on previous visits were quite obviously empty!
Upon checking out in the morning we had the same desk attendant, Giancarlo, as the night before. We asked about the linen situation and lack of pillows and he said that we could have "come to the front desk to pick up whatever additional items" we needed! I find that in total poor taste as we should be able to expect to find additional linens, etc. if the room provides the additional sleeping space! That was part of the basic cost of the room!!! The only positive experience to this stay was a man named Ray, who set up and maintained the small "breakfast" area. He was more than polite, helpful and accomodating to our needs. Five stars to Ray, but the rest got no stars!!

Room Tip: Suites in the newer building are great, if you care to spend the additional money!! Stay away from...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. Without having your exact dates of stay I can not knowledgably speak on the room types available. We have a large cliental from the 24 hour training facility for pilots that is located next door to us. Typically the pilots fly in and do not have vehicles. In regards to the room you were provided with the queen bed and pullout sofa, we typically do not provide the additional linen for the pullout unless it is requested or number of guests indicate that it is a requirement. As for the pillows, we are mandated by Choice Hotels International on the size, quality, and number of pillows provided per size of bed. I would like to speak with you personally to get more specific details regarding your stay. I can be reached at 302-328-0226 or by email at gm.de005@choicehotels.com.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I called 8 weeks in advance of our trip. Told the desk clerk I had limited mobility due to bone & lung cancer. That I would need a room on the first floor with very little walking to get to my room. We arrived at the hotel shortly before 4pm. We were placed in a building with very limited parking that was not near the entrance of the building. Once in the entrance we were at the other end of the hall. When asked if they could move our room closer to the entrance or to another building with parking closer to the entrance we were told that was impossible. There were only a handful of cars in any of the lots. We pointed this out to the desk clerk and he said that most of the guests would be checking in shortly and he could not change our room to another room because there were no more rooms to change to. We asked why someone in a similar or lesser quality room in a different building could not take the room they wanted us to take and lets us have that room. Again, he stated he could not change the room. Even after we pointed out that they had errored in assigning us this type of room, he again insisted he could not change the room. Never once did he apologize for thier error. THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

I am so sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our property. It distresses me to hear that you did not get the quality of customer service that is expected of all of the staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I would love the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about the situation so that I can address the issue with the exact guest service associate that you dealt with and to make the situation right so that you may consider giving us another opprotunity to accommodate your needs while visiting the area. I can be contacted by phone at 302-328-0226 or by email at gm.de005@choicehotels.com

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Front desk staff was very friendly. Hotel I was booked at was oversold and this property was able to accomodate me at the same rate. I stayed in building 5 which is the newer looking building. Room was nice. The breakfast was very disappointing. Would recommend going to the IHOP across the street.

Room Tip: Stay in building 5.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We Were visiting family in the area. I loved the lobby, room was Okay, the service was great. Front desk was beyond kind and courtious, even when we locked ourselves out of the room lol
Stayed 2 nights: night one we heard a car pull up and was VERY loud talking, woke my 1 year old up at 2 am with bright lights shining into the room, ugh it was a nightmare. Let's move to night 2: we parked right in front of our door to avoid another late night wake up. Good sleep, lousy tiny pillows.
It's a motel with good amenities and decent price. The airport is right behind and a loud highway out front with motorcycles and truckers coming and going. If your looking to crash for the night or two stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Ctaranti
qiskyways, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with noise. We try to provide as much quiet as possible for our guests. We could have contacted the guest and admonished them on their noise level, but after the fact certainly doesn't help get your child back to sleep.

We thank you for your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
9.2 km away
Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
8.8 km away
Super 8 Pennsville/Wilmington

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!