All reviewsseparate buildingwafflesqueen bedeasy accessair conditionerhotel roomcomplimentary breakfastfurnishings
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews. I did stay in the old part of the hotel, so maybe the glowing reviewers stayed in the new part. They are pet friendly and charge a modest $10 fee, so that is a definite plus. The reason I did not like the hotel is because of the price. I paid $90 for a room that should have been $60 at the most. I've stayed in nicer Motel 6's. It was just an average room--no frills whatsoever. No fridge or microwave, no breakfast. The pillows were horrible--I have stayed in many hotels and motels and have never complained about pillows. They were bad. Coffee maker in the room was filthy--I had to wash it before use. Staff was friendly. High-speed internet connection was unreliable. Again, $90 for this room was a rip-off ($100 after pet fee). Very busy area--eight lane road out front and airport in back (though I only heard two planes). Would not stay here again (would avoid New Castle actually), so if you make a reservation be sure you are in the new section as it has to be better than the old.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Zeppy22
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I was very pleased with the Quality Inn Skyways and would definately stay there again when in the area. The room was recently renovated and was nice and clean. The bed was comfortable and the towels were nice and not paper thin. The front desk personel were very helpful. Considering the hotel is right next door to the airport, it was pretty quiet and I didn't hear a thing. The best part for me is that for a slight extra charge they have designated pet friendly rooms.

Though RT 13 (DuPont Hgwy) is very busy, there are lots of places to either sit down and eat or grab something fast.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank WyrDachs
Reviewed October 28, 2006

As a Choice Privileges member, I try to stay in the chain's hotels whenever possible. This was my first time at the Quality Inn - Skyways. While the hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, I found the facilities to be simply adequate. The reception area of the Quality Inn was quite attractive, so I expected my room to be the same. I was disappointed because it looked like, well, a motel room. There was a sizeable space at the bottom of the door (the 'open' side had a smaller space). I was thankful that I was visiting the motel during the colder months, when the creepy-crawly factor wasn't great. The room was a bit dusty, but otherwise clean. I think I've been spoiled by the interior corridors and less motel-like appearances of the Comfort Inns and Sleep Inns where I usually stay.

On the positive side: I arrived early, but was allowed to check in. Not only that, I was upgraded to a larger room with a microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the heating system worked well. The grounds were well-tended and there was a courtyard with a pool. The location of the motel is on busy Route 13 (Dupont Highway) next to the New Castle Airport, but it is very close to the New Castle Farmer's Market and about 15 minutes from the Christiana Mall. And considering that it is situated next to the airport, it was surprisingly quiet.

Polidoro Italian Grill was within walking distance (through the parking lots) of the motel. The restaurant was beautiful, the food was good and the service was excellent. Prices were reasonable, too. By showing the server my motel key, I received 10 percent off my meal. There was also a Damon's Grill on-site, between the motel and Polidoro's. I could have received the same 10 percent off my breakfast - if only someone from Damon's had actually been there to greet me. The dining room was empty and there was absolutely no one in sight. I waited in the foyer for a few minutes and then left.

While the Quality Inn could use a few improvements, I would certainly recommend it to those individuals who are traveling in Delaware and need a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank All_Things_English
Reviewed September 18, 2006

New Castle is not a tourist haven - while the colonial town center is pleasant and historic, there isn't much else there - so hotels/motels are few and tend to be low-end. We travel to New Castle each year to visit family (who live in Dupont Hwy.) and have always had trouble finding a local place that was nice - without having to drive to Christiana or Wilmington. In August I discovered the Quality Inn Skyways. It is right next to the airport. This motel is actually two motels. The old section (red brick surrounding the quite-nice pool) and the brand new section (light shade of stucco). I had reserved a room in the old section but when I got there they had made a mistake with my reservation and upgraded me to the new section at the same price - wbich turned out to be a wonderful deal for me. But my point is, I actually saw the insides of both types of rooms. The differences you see in the website photos are even more pronounced in person. Yes, the more expensive rooms are MUCH nicer.

The old part is ok, basic, a bit musty - but not so bad. But the NEW section rivals some of the better Hiltons. I typically stay in Sofitels, Marriotts, Hiltons, and boutique hotels such as Kimpton. The new section of the Skyways was really, really nice. Granite countertops, separate bedroom with really nice linens, fridge, microwave, cabinets, computer hookups - everything you want. Very large and clean bath. I was running around my "upgrade" going WOW!! And in spite of it being right adfacent to the airport, it was SO quiet!

Tried both property restaurants - the sportsbar was a typical burger/wings/tv screen sportsbar - was fine. And Polodoro's was somewhere between a sportsbar and a quite-nice restaurant - I had a good martini and salmon there.

Staff was just great. On top of upgrading me to the very nice section (it's well worth the extra money if you like nice places) they also took me over to the train station ( I tipped generously - was so nice for them to do that) and they were professional and attentive in every way.

The little corner computer desk in the lobby was often vacant, too, so I could check my email.

All in all, a super little place, and I will abolutely be back next year when we visit the in-laws. And by the way if you fly in to ILG (there are flights from Atlanta now) it's the perfect place.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank tbevis
Reviewed February 21, 2004

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very accommodating.
Lots to do in the area. I will never stay anywhere else when in the area again.

5  Thank luvinmybullies