“Great gyros and falafel”

Mediterranean Grille
Ranked #55 of 397 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed October 10, 2017

My dad fondly remembers falafel from his trip to Israel many years ago and my parents and I decided to try this place during their recent visit to the area. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but everything was quite good. My mom loved the lamb gyros - they use real roast lamb, not the spiced meat you sometimes find in gyros - and the salad. My dad and I both enjoyed the falafel, which was nicely cooked. The staff was knew what was in their food and was able to modify their falafel to a vegan version (take off the tzatziki and add tahini). The veganized falafel would have been even better with hummus (or a tahini sauce, which wasn't on their menu), but it was pretty good as it was. Service was fast and friendly. This restaurant is a classic example of a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that serves good food and has good service.

Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

The lamp gyro is without peer. Stuffed with lamb, tzadeki sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and wrapped in a real N Y style peta bread (not the dry grocery pita.) very reasonably priced and family operated,this is my type of restaurant. There are several tables and take out is available. Don’t expect a white glove service or linen table cloths but expect good food and good value for your bucks.

Reviewed September 25, 2017

I started with their Greek chicken and rice soup, and it was delicious. But then I had their gyro, which was well prepared, but the gyro meat wasn't right. I'm pretty sure they don't have a traditional spit to cook it on. Given the high quality of the soup, I have a feeling that many of their other dishes would be good, but I'd pass on the gyro.

Reviewed September 10, 2017

we stopped by on the way to a movie and were very pleasantly surprised.

the greek salad was delicious, as was the lamb gyro, greek potatoes i had and my wife said the shrimp were cooked perfectly in her greek spaghetti.

Reviewed June 3, 2017

My husband got spanicopita meal and I got the lamb gyro while we were there. Our favorite out of everything was honestly the greek salad. Next time I would plan to get that for our meal. The dishes were good, but honestly it doesn't come close to the taste of the gyros and shshlik you can get at the Gyro Kabab House off 273. They are still our top of our list. Compared to them, this gyro had significantly less flavor.

Been to Mediterranean Grille? Share your experiences!