New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Rising Sun, Maryland
“GoldDiggers and Cockroaches.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I had our reception at the Newark Ramada. At first we started out dealing with a very nice woman who called us, and gave us great prices and then 3 weeks before the wedding she was fired and the manager asked to meet with us. He started telling us all the prices and they were all more than what we had signed our contract for. It seemed to both of us that he was just after our money. Every time we asked how much something would cost he would say $200. No matter what it was. It seems very unlikely that anything we needed (highchairs, linens for the tables etc.) would be exactly $200. The overall reception went over very well, but getting up to that point was very difficult. There was not on time when I would call that he was available to take my call, and anytime they said he would return my call it took at least 4 days. He was not fit for the job of party planner if you ask me.
Also, we stayed at this hotel for our wedding night and we had stayed there one time previously. Both times we found cockroaches. This last time, on our wedding night, we found one inside the microwave. After that, it is pretty impossible to sleep. The front desk staff is nice, the pool is nice and the restaurant has good food, but the one manager, Indy, needs to find another profession.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca S
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Facts - Our Sales Director was never fired! She Quit - as per our contract we were not supposed to provide linen for the tables which I did without any additional charge!!
We did not charge any more than on the contract except a $200.00 charge for extending the event for one more hour - you were informed about that & you paid that amount & we allowed you to use the banquet hall for 2 more hours!! We allowed you to come in one day previous to the event to decorate the banquet hall!!! No one complained during or after the event - I was personally there till the end of the event till1 am.!! If you recall I even met you!!
All your phone calls and emails were responded to at once - I suppose you know that.
your mother-in-law who paid for other expenses called to thank me personally (see the other review on trip advisor - "What a GREAT WEDDING"!!!)
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime on my cell phone number that I gave you - thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I have really enjoyed my three-week stay at the Ramada Newark, as a former hotel manager, with two years experience in the hospitality industry, I must say, I am very impressed. I found all the staff very warm, and friendly, and know almost all of them by their first names at least.

This includes, Indy, Donielle, Steve, Danny, Chris,Taleah, Joe, Kefa, Bryce, David, Tammy and a host of others.

I will definitely come back to Delaware, and will surely stay at the Ramada; as a movie star, I'll gladly recommend the hotel to my colleagues in the movie industry, as well as others that may need accomodation.

I also wish to commend the hotel for it's contributions, and co-operation, during our three weeks of film shooting; I must say that the hotel satisfactorily accomodated at least five big Hollywood movie stars, within the period, and not one of them complained. For all these and more, the hotel will get credit, when the movie is released; which in my opinion, is perfect advertisement for the hotel.

Keep up the good work, team RAMADA NEWARK, see you all again, very soon.

IGONI ARCHIBONG

Room Tip: Customers should be asked if they need a smoking room, so they can be aware that they can actually c...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We were overwhelmed by your appreciation of our facility and our staff. We all appreciate that in spite of your busy schedule you made time to pen a few very lines. We all thank you for choosing our property for your stay and including us in your film. We wish you the very best of luck in all your future endeavors. Thank you.
Medford, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

3-4 weeks before our stay my wife called and made reservations at this hotel for a soccer tournament my daughter was in. This hotel was recommended by the tournament and they sent out a noticed that it was $79 per night, no mention of minimum stay. Again my wife made the reservation verified the price and confirmed. 1 week before our trip we recommended this hotel to other parents/team mates. They called and got the same rate of $79 per night and again like us only stayed 10/8. After this a Donnella, who was on the list called us and told us that the rate was for 2 nights , not 1 and that the rate would be $99. We were a little perturbed but it wasn't a large issue.
Now we went to the hotel, I go to the clerk tell him I had a rservation and without him even looking he said they did not have a room and they were overbooked, but they could get us to a Days Inn. I asked if they were overbooked why didn't they call me and let me know, he said he didn't have a phone number to get a hold of me. THIS WAS A LIE. They already had called me to tell us that the rate had changed, so I know they had my number. At this point I was getting very angry because I had 3 12 year old girls who wanted to be with their team and didn't kniow if they could. I asked to speak to the manager,who was not there,of course. I asked for his number and the clerk gave me a card, I walked out and called the number and the same clerk answered the phone and then seemed surprised that I wanted the managers actual number. I told him I realized he can't give me his personal number but he could call him and give him mine, so I gave him mine and gave him some time to call him by walking outside. I went back in and he said he talked to the manager and he said to get me a room at a discounted rate. I said fine, but the "discounted" rate was $84 dollars. Still $5 more that the original discounted rate that they said we couldn't get because we didn't stay 2 nights but our other parents who reserved their room after us for 1 night still got!!! I am not worried about the $5, I am wondering why my card was charged $99 though when the bill I signed was for $90 and change.
Now I don't know if this is a privately owned Ramada or it is corprately owned, but if this is how you are running your hotels you need to seriously look into how they are actually run. I can also tell you that the hallways smelled like smoke even in the non smoking hallways and we even had a parent ask for a new room because the smell was so bad in their room.
I would like a response to this feedback, I work for a company that takes customer service very seriously and I do too. I would pay more for good service and recommend any place that gives it.
Unfortunately this Ramada did not live up to what I thought Ramada's standards were and I would never recommend this one. I look forward to any response.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
I did respond to your complain and explained the whole situation and I suppose the matter was amicably settled. However I offer my sincere apologies again for the incident, and we shall make sure that such occurences are never repeated. Thank you very much.
Rock Island, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in Wilmington in August. The rate was amazingly low which concerned me re quality. Staff checked us in early which was helpful as it was raining and miserable outside. The room was clean, water pressure in the bathroom was good and the breakfast was adequate. Not special but enough to get the day started. The staff gave us a coupon for a complementary appetizer at a restaurant in a small mall area across the street. This property has an outdoor pool and if you have kids ask for a room or rooms that face the pool. These rooms on the first floor have entrances from the pool side and the hall side of the units. Very helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate the fact that you liked our Hotel and that our facility met your expectations. We would like to extend our thanks and would very much like to have you back at our property in the future. I suppose one of our front desk agents would have made you aware of our WYNDHAM rewards plan which guides you to receive points while you stay at WYNDHAM properties and get you free nights. If not I would suggest you visit the wyndhamrewards.com/earn site and sign up for the same. Thank you very much - take care.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for work in Newark and Wilmington. Good hotel for a place to stay. Not glamourous, but not bad. Bath was re done. The price was fair for what you got.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ddistant62, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thank you very much and we are happy that we have been able to cater to your requirements and we assure you that every time you stay with us we shall take care of you and deliver our best services and hospitality.
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel was booked purely to sleep, therefore it fulfilled it's job. However if you plan on spending any time here I wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast was absolutely appalling, we took one glance and left. The room had many questionable stains in many questionable places. I'm just happy that I had jet lag so don't remember that much!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dan_from_the_UK
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

The staff is rude and they have no elevator. How can they have AARP sign with no elevator. We were there for a family reunion with several elderly relatives. We had to deal with an extremely rude front desk clern, incompetent management and some of the rooms smelled bad. I would stay at another hotell if at all possible, but I think they get away with this because it is in a good location and some of the rooms have been renovated. If you must stay here, get a second floor rooms. They are much better. The lobby had old furniture and is connected to a bar and/or nightclub. There was an event there Saturday night and many hotel guests could not even find parking spaces. Do not stay here, There is a Staybridge right beside it for a much higher rate and I think that's how they get customers too. One more thing, the breakfast was total yuck...unpalatable rice we had never seen before. Ramada needs to fire everyone, complete renovations and/or tear the place down.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family