“Worthwhile”

Nemours Mansion & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Owner description: Nemours Estate is open for visitation during the regular season May - mid November. Self guided; accessed by walking or from shuttle. Cameras are permitted. The Estate is CLOSED on Mondays.
Wilmington, DE
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Worthwhile”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Nice Tour. Worth seeing. That says it all. Did I get to 50 characters yet?

1 Thank Buckbo

New Castle, Delaware
“Spectacular”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Spectacular! They've done a wonderful job restoring it. Will take family members when visiting.

Greenville, Delaware
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great for guests but they treat you like a felon on the tour!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We have taken many out of staters here and I am always embarrassed when the tour guide acts as though we are criminals, and we are in our 50's!!! I had a bad cold and didn't want to blow my nose in front of everyone, so I turned around to blow and I thought they were going to arrest me!! They are also rude to minorities, condescending and insulting to our guests who are all highly educated and accomplished, more so than the tour guides!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Hannah K
Wilmington, Delaware
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“History comes alive and personal lives are revealed”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Very personalized home as well as a mansion - collections reflect eclectic interests of the owners and give great warmth to the mansion. Many of the paintings and artifacts are real treasures, collected by the du Ponts during their tours of Europe. Time line of Du Pont history very interesting as is the role Alfred I du Pont played in the company's development. The gardens are over the top and seem incongruous in this countryside - however, they reflect the grandiose nature of the "Gilded Age" in the USA and give us a feel for that period.

1 Thank judithdrj
De
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“marvelous”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

beautiful home and gardens, total renovated in 2010. a must see.