Barnacle Bed and Breakfast
Parmer's Resort(Little Torch Key)(Great Value!)
US$183
  • Breakfast included
US$154
Sugarloaf Lodge(Sugarloaf Key)
US$140
US$279
AscendHotels
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$189
Hyatt.com
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$369
US$203
US$167
Hotels.com
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$159
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsocean roomkey deerhot tubkey westtiki hutbig pinebahia hondabird watchingsea breezebeach chairsdeer visitpeaceful spotdownstairs roombeach leveloff the beaten pathstayed nightsdeer walk
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Me and my best friend stayed at the Barnacle during New Years' weekend, coming in on a Thursday, and leaving on a Monday, and we both agree, the place was beautiful. It is an older house, and just like any, it had its beauty marks, but it did not take away from the expierance. The hostess, was one of the nicest people I have ever met, with such excellent cooking. The breakfast was amazing! The views of the water from our room were breathtaking. You can walk up on the roof and watch the sunset. Did I mention the Key Deer who will walk right up to you? It definately felt like a home away from home for us!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This was our first experience staying in a B&B. We had a very relaxing stay during our 3 night stay.

Below are some of the pros and cons of this place. From previous posts I notice that the managers took the cons personal. If they can take it as constructive, this place can get even better reception.

Pros
- Great views of the Ocean from many locations in the property, esp while enjoying breakfast
- The ocean breeze in our rooms made it for great air conditioning
- The key deers visiting the property made it that much closer to nature
- The hosts are very warm. They helped us plan our day trips. They also made something new and enticing for all the three days for breakfast

Cons
- Room maintenance could be better. Floors get dirty possibly due to ocean breeze. Few items in the room could use fixing such as toilet flush.
- If the seaweed can be cleared more regularly it could be more enticing for people to get in to the water esp with such great access to the ocean.

Room Tip: We stayed at Dolphin room that had great breeze when we stayed in December.. The crow's nest also looked enticing esp the open bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank svasudev
Reviewed November 1, 2011

the barnacle is just that, its just like camping the rooms have no amities they dont have a/c to speak of by in end of the night its hot in the room , had to move the fridge to get it to work , some of the lights dont work, there is no light over the bath room sink its makes it very hard to shave. the smell of the sea weed makes me light headed. there was no extras at all like extras toliet paper in the bath room. this was the second time i stayed there and i am disappointed in the place to much money for to little .they say in the ad no one under 16 but there were at least 4 kids there. i am not happy with my stay.

Room Tip: find a different place to stay
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hobartcycle
BarnacleB10, Manager at Barnacle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at The Barnacle. We would like to have had a chance to make your stay more comfortable if we had seen you at all during your stay. During the time of your stay, there were two teenagers staying here and they were very polite and quiet. It is true we do not allow anyone under 16 years of age unless they are the only ones staying in the B & B.

Again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Just got back from a long weekend staying at the Barnacle and everything was just fine for us. There is seaweed and there are bugs but it's a house on the beach just feet away from the water so we kind of expected that. The rooms are clean, the a/c worked fine and the breakfasts were different but still very good. The hosts are very helpful and more than willing to offer any assistance that might be needed to make a stay comfortable. We were offered full use of the kitchen (and any spices we cared to use), gas grill, bicycles, floats, beach chairs, life vests, and kayaks. We didn't use any of them as were basically on the road every day but we found that to be very refreshing. The Key deer come right up to the house which is unique and worthy of mention.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UK-USAUnited
Reviewed September 15, 2011

As another reviewer put it, The Barnacle is definitely "Quaint and Quirky". And, yes, it is an older B&B that is (sadly) showing many years of service. First off the positives: the host Michael was very gracious and attentive to our needs. I especially enjoyed his gluten free waffles. Possibly the best waffles I have ever had. We did not see much of the hostess, Michelle, so I cannot comment on her. Clearly she was a 'behind the scenes' partner. We stayed in the Crow's Loft, full aware of its limitations. The outdoor shower is unique and fun to experience. There is a definite thrill of seeing Key deer up close and personal every morning. Yes, the beach does have seaweed. And your problem with that? Bahia Honda also has seaweed. I admit I was hoping to launch our dinghy from the beach, but this proved to be not a good idea on account of the mucky bottom in the shallows. However, on the positive side, if you make it out 200 yards from shore it is EXCELLENT snorkeling.
One the downside, visitor's should be aware that The Barnacle is truly a beach house. By this I mean that the only air conditioned space is the rented room. All of the common areas are open to the elements. This means heat in the summer; and mosquitoes and noseeums year 'round. The Inn does supply guests with sunscreen and natural insect repellent to combat these factors. I was lead to believe that originally the inner courtyard (and breakfast area) was originally enclosed by a plexiglass ceiling. I would suggest the property owners re-install this item that was taken out by a hurricane.
Some other reviewers have complained about ants and inadequate AC in the Crows Loft. Yes, we also had some ant issue. I used our own RAID to cure that concern. Perhaps the owner might think about pest control? As to the AC: we were away during the day when I might imagine it would heat up. However, for sleeping we were perfectly comfortable. It might be nice if the owner replaced the sunshades over the skylights in the Crows Loft. They were frayed on the edges.
I would like to give this review 2.5 stars (half-way), but since I cannot I have decided on 2 instead.
I am not sorry we stayed there. It was interesting and "quirky". But I would not necessarily recommend it to my friends. A few upgrades by the owner would really raise my rating.
The host has no faults. He gets a "5 star" rating.

Room Tip: Expect to "rough it a bit" in order to experience a Real Keys experience.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rebecca W
BarnacleB10, Manager at Barnacle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Hi, yes Michael is a very kind soul, and deserves 5 stars, thank you. Yes, nature abounds here, and we do our very best. The Crows Nest/Loft is so very cozy, and has a wonderful private outdoor shower, in which to see the beautiful stars at night, as so many truly enjoy this fine attribute of the cozy room.
If anybody leaves jelly or candybars laying around, there will more than likely be little ants trying to get the leftovers.
We are The Barnacle, and we do have a Keys Ocean View, albeit with seaweed, which is not too difficult to get past, and enjoy the beautiful water of our beautiful world. If you do not wish to step over the seaweed, again, very easily one can go across the street to Coupon Bight, the Bay, and have no seaweed whatsover, and launch whatever one desires.
Recently I stayed at a regular motel for about 70 dollars, away from the beautiful ocean, the free kayaks, bicycles, excellent breakfasts, and all in all, personally--The Barnacle IS top notch.
Peace All.!