“Disappointing.”

Ranked #81 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Greater Tampa area.
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I wanted a couple days off to celebrate my birthday. A bit of a mini-vacation, if you will. I only live an hour away from Clearwater Beach, and so I wanted something basic, and cheap (keeping in mind I'm a college student, and I work part-time). I saw no sense in paying the ridiculous tourist prices for a bed to sleep in. For that, this place was fantastic.

I reserved a room for myself and my sister. We arrived, and were lucky(?) enough to be upgraded to a bigger room, because the owner had rented ours to someone else. The first night, we bought a few groceries and stayed up in the room, only leaving twice, for dinner and for a bit of night-swimming on the beach. We were exceptionally quiet, I have no problem saying.

The room itself was bearable, to say the least. The AC unit was taped to the wall and very loud. Had we been squeamish, our gecko friend might have scared us off. The dishes were... eclectic. The maid service appeared rare (you have to clean the room before you leave, basically, lest you get charged).

The owner, however, was very polite and friendly when we arrived. I liked him a great deal, until the second day of our stay. I asked three of my friends over to go to the beach. They arrived, and were waiting for me beside the pool, while I got together a bag. The owner preceded to ask me aside and tell me he wanted them off his premises immediately, and that they were free-loading unless I paid for them to stay. His impression of myself and my friends may have been inaccurate, because we are young, but I happen to be under the impression that if I am paying for a room, not damaging anything/breaking the law, and am not disturbing the other paying guests, I may do as I please. I was polite, though, as he had my credit card information, and we left for the beach, but the day was severely dampened, as my friends were then too nervous to even join me for a drink in my room.

I certainly would not go here again, in hopes of finding more polite, and less arrogant and presumptuous innkeepers elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank jadoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Holland Landing Ontario
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We have stayed at this motel for two years in a row. The service has been great. The owner and his staff are very friendly . The beach is only a couple of minutes away and restaurants are within walking distance if needed. The room was very clean and everything you needed was there and if not the owner would get it for you.The pool was great and we stayed for 10 days and it was checked and cleaned several times while we were there. All in all a wonderful vacation and we WILL be back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I have thought about this quite a lot over the last few months, and to be fair, our views have not in any way changed. Yes the property is run by a Brit, but my goodness, please rest assured, we British do have standards, and this does not in any way meet them. The marketing photos are TOTALLY misleading. We had my parents-in-law with us, and I was mortified that we had booked us all into something so sub-standard as the Traveler Motel. With all the health and safety issues the motel would most certainly have been closed back home. I have to say that we were surprised that the American safety standards allowed for such obvious risks, particularly where little ones were concerned. To illustrate, there were exposed cables, obvious evidence of damp, refrigerators that would not shut due to the amount of frost in the freezer, hair from previous occupants in the shower, air conditioning units that did not work, or at best totally ineffective, holes in the wall covered up with paper, towel rails in the bathroom held up with tape, towels with holes in them - I kid you not! It was vile, and there is NO WAY we would ever stay there again! When it came to the cutlery and crockery in the kitchens, quite apart from the fact that nothing matched, many pieces were still dirty, and I would suggest that you be prepared to re-wash everything prior to use!

The location is lovely, which makes it a bit of a shame in the sense that with a bit of imagination, style, attention to detail and health (I really must find the photos we took as evidence!!), it really could be something special.

Don't get me wrong, my two boys loved the pool. Quite frankly, children (aged 7and 8 ) are so much more amenable when it comes to having fun.

The landlord Kerry was quite sweet in a somewhat naiive way, but totally ineffective, and with no obvious idea of style and decorum. For those who have written raving reviews about the Motel, I suspect our Amercan cousins are extremely polite and so much more tolerant of effort, albeit sub-standard.

We will definately be visiting Clearwater again, as we loved the area, and the people we met were delightful. They made a miserable venue worth the visit. Needless to say, whilst we were there we had a look at other potential residence to stay.

Our recommendation to you - definately not worth it - there are better venues for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Rooki00

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Northern Alberta
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The way I'd describe the room is as if your single aunt moved in there when she was 25 and she is now 85. She cleaned, painted and repaired throughout the years but things have never been replaced. It is getting hard to make them look clean, even if you wipe them down. But she is proud of it.

Take a look at the price. This is no frills. You have to take your own garbage out. Soap and shampoo aren't provided.

The kids swam in the pool. It is small but relatively clean. They had fun.

Kerry is what makes the place bearable. He will accommodate you but he is no servant. He keeps the springbreakers out but you can hear noise all around the hotel. The windows don't stop any noise. We kept the A/C on to create some white noise to help us sleep.

No bugs in our room.

The location is perfect. They should tear this motel down and build another. But if they can rent the rooms then why would you? Besides, it would then cost 3-4 times to stay there.

We made it work. We survived. But we only spent a short time in our rooms as it really wasn't a place you'd like to hang around. We talked to some older people that hung around the motel all day and loved it. They reminded me of an older aunt. Makes sense.

We would not choose to stay here again. If it was the only place to stay we might bite the bullet and try it again. Maybe

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank NorthernAlbertaChuck
Iraq
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I stayed for about 20 days in July and August of 2009 over two different occasions. I found it to be an excellent value with a great location – just one street back from the Mandalay and the beach. It is less than a 5 minute walk to the beach and is right next door to Frenchy’s Salt Water. In fact my room, room 12, overlooked the restaurant and bar area.

It is definitely a throwback to the 60s and 70s as all the small motels on Clearwater Beach are. However, I found it to be clean; spotless in fact and quiet. I never heard a peep from my neighbors and there was no noise at all from the restaurant next door.

I found this motel based on reviews on TripAdviser. I did a walk up after travelling for 3 days from the Middle East and was accommodated immediately. At the time I was a bit vague as too how long I wanted to stay but that wasn’t a big deal. Kerry, the manager, explained how long the room was available for and he told me to let him know when I got close to wanting to check out. How easy can that be?

I can afford beach side prices; I really can, but why pay $200-400 a night in the off season? For the price of one night beachside I can stay several days in a relaxing, no fuss, and no hassle motel that feels more like home than in some sterile behemoth looming on the beach. It’s so close to everything, quiet and a great value. And they have free high-speed WiFi that worked wonderfully.

As I got towards the end of my visit Kerry informed me that the motel had been booked for several of the days that I had wanted to stay but hadn’t committed to yet. Absolutely no worries as he called around the beach and found a motel for me for a very competitive rate. Then I followed him over to the new motel and he went in with me to introduce me to the owner and made sure I got the rate that was quoted him. He even offered to help carry my luggage up to my new room!

I have to comment on complaints that I see on TA because I found them to not be true of my experience:

*The air conditioning units are surrounded by some kind of tape (masking or Duct) on the inside and out.

Yes they are and so what? It keeps insects and water out. Another option might be that expanded foam that you spray in openings but that looks, in my opinion, much uglier than the tape that is used. The tape is white and blends in with the wall color. I do believe that they are replacing all these units with ones that have heaters as well as AC.

*The swimming pool that he shows on trip adviser is not his swimming pool. It looked as if someone poured milk in it.

I don’t know what pool you were referring to but the one I saw on TP is the one at the motel. I sat by it many times. Most days, but not every day, I saw a pool man cleaning and checking the chemicals. The water was always crystal clear.

*It also appeared that some people stay here long term as they were grilling out by the nasty pool.

Yes there is a grill on the pool deck and it was used quite often. It’s called a vacation and people like to ‘grill’. Everyone, and I saw quite a few families using it, seemed to have a great time grilling steaks and fish that they had caught on the charter boats just down the street. The grill area was spotless at all times. I never saw trash or food residue the next day.

I’m not a smoker but smoking is allowed on the property outside the rooms. This was never an issue with me and I never smelled a hint of smoke in my room or any other room I was in.

The only issue I had was with the plumbing. It was always a bit of a dance to get the hot water and cold water in the shower just right.

I had a great laid back time. Without hesitation I’m planning on staying there next summer for several weeks.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 5 August 2009

* you get what you pay for
* dated & not cleaned very well
* was appalled to discover bugs in the bed, after waking up with 'mysterious' bites every morning
* best thing here is location and an owner that is personable

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank inOntario
Iowa
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My wife and I were very pleased with the Traveler Motel when we stayed in June, so we came back in July for an extended weekend (Friday, July 17- Tuesday, July 21). We were again very pleased with the place. We thought it was clean and no bugs. The pool was clean also.

I agree with the review that said something about the 50's style tile in the bathroom, but it didn't bother me and I was told that updates were coming.

I was very surprised to read the negative reviews. (Just to let you know, I had never met Kerry East, the owner, or stayed at the Traveler Motel before June 2009.)

I would recommend that anyone going to Clearwater Beach not book online. Check out the room of any motel, BEFORE agreeing to stay, since many of the motels have a no refund policy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple