“SHELLFISH SALT MINE...”

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Joe's Crab Shack brings fresh seafood, authentic flavors and Southern coastal flair to locations all across America. Joe's menu features crab, fish, lobster, mussels, clams and shrimp.
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

I am a seafood lover and I have eaten the most amazing hot and cold platters in different countries and as such, I have very high expectations when it comes to eating shellfish.

Joe's Crab Shack came highly recommended and the nearest restaurant was 1hour's drive away from my accommodation in Tampa, Florida.

I really shouldn't have bothered making the trip as the meal was extremely disappointing.

On arrival, the restaurant smelt musty and rank; it reminded me of the smell of a Charity Shop I'd volunteered in many moons ago.
The table we originally sat at dripped rain water onto my host's hair - alarm bells really should have gone off by now.

We ordered Joe's Classic sampler and we could barely finish it... too salty. Next came the main; my host ordered the Ragin' Cajun and I, the Arctic Bay steampot.

Both steampots arrived heavily laden with salt. My host's meal was so unpalatable that she had it sent back to the kitchen; the replacement was almost as bad. Mine faired a bit better, but I only ate the lobster tail, crab legs and corn.

To prove how salty the meal was, I downed a 1litre bottle of water as soon as I got home. I will definitely not be visiting this restaurant any time soon.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed August 30, 2018

OK - this s not a typical restaurant. It is more like eating in a Disney park. Fried seafood and gumbo are the main attractions - and lots of food. Huge bucket of mussels is very good. So go for the shell fish and fun.

Last time I was here they had a motorcycle convention in the parking areas surrounding the place. Great fun!

Reviewed August 29, 2018

Out of town visitor surprise. I took my daughter to Joe's. She is from Annapolis Md. and a blue crab snob. anyway she was treated to a queen crab steam pot with old bay and enjoyed every once of it. Still not Maryland blue, but very sweet and moist, As usual good service. They have been taken over by Landry's group, so i already see some changes. The key lime pie is NOT AS GOOD AS BEFORE
Prices have increased as well.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

We went for dinner. Our waiter was fantastic!! Entertainment-waiters stop and dance. Crabs were delicious. Served warm with warm butter. Crabs are pricey.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

We came in there Saturday night for a nice dinner but got a rude awakening First we got our drinks that came out fast and tasty but our crab balls and calamari came out burnt and semi warm so we sent those back. Waited 15 more minutes before it came out right then our distracted server Amber got lost in the shuffle or something and another server Chris came along to get us more drinks still haven’t ordered dinner yet so Amber decided to take our order so we got shrimp sampler, the crab classic for 2 and paradise platter. Our shrimp on the sampler was tasteless and way over cook and the bacon wrap shrimp had no stuffing in it so my wife sent it back. The fish on the paradise platter was so bad I had to spit it back out. So we ask for a manager and she told us the Manager Jeremiah was the one cooking so it was made to Joe’s standards look like the standards went down the toilet. So no manager came to visit us and she took our food

Date of visit: August 2018

Been to Joe's Crab Shack? Share your experiences!