“Little hard to find, but fine dining in Clearwater tends to be...”
Review of Cafe Ponte

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 58th St.
Reviewed 24 December 2016

Great service, very good menu of choices, elegant atmosphere.
Wish we had know about the early bird tasting menu, as we planned on eating between 6 and 6:30. Would be wise for them to tell patrons when making reservations.

The peppers and mushrooms was our fav starter. Good thing we had a starter, as portions are a bit small for the lamb ragout and the short ribs ( I rarely complain about this). The seabass was a fair size portion, and quite delicious, though I only had a little bite. My short ribs was more like a short rib, very flavorful, a bit fatty for my taste, but probably only 4 or 5 oz. I wondered about the portion of filet mignon, considering the size of the short rib, but the two staff I asked did not know.

Took my own bottle of wine, since I have an extensive cellar, and found the $25 corkage a bit stiff, considering we were celebrating two birthdays, and did order wine from their list.

All in all a very pleasant evening in a romantic setting.

Reviewed 21 December 2016

Excellent experience at Cafe Ponte. Had 5:30 reservations not knowing there is a special from 5:30-6:30 for a tasting menu. My husband and I both opted for that since it was our first time dining here and the price was very good. Of course we started with cocktails, he had a jalapeno spiced Mule which he loved. I had my usual dirty martini and was pleased with it. The tasting menu included cream of mushroom soup with white truffle cream on top. Best mushroom soup we have ever eaten. Then we had a kale salad with walnuts, bacon, etc and a nice vinegarette. Excellent. For a $10 upcharge he had the filet mignon and I had the sea bass. His steak was DELICIOUS and my fish was also. The dinner ended with the most seriously chocolate flourless cake we have ever eaten. We took it home as we were full from our meal. Our waiter, Zack, was excellent. Very attentive without being intrusive. There is also a server who comes to the table with a choice of breads to eat. I had the flat bread and it was delicious. The restaurant itself is very nicely laid out and would be an excellent place for a special dinner or event. Can't wait to return again.
This is not a cheap place to dine but we felt the service and the food was worth the money paid. We had a gift certificate for $50 and the bill was about $125.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

My reason for this comparison is for those who appreciate outstanding food.. and possibly have eaten at Café Boulud Palm Beach or at any of David Boulud’s restaurant.. If you are in the Tampa Bay area searching for a fine dinning establishment.. You won’t go wrong with Café Ponte.. Having visited both restaurants within a month of each other.. I write this with fresh memories.. The food at both restaurants was perfect.. presentation, quality and taste.. For value I give the edge to Cafe Ponte.. Clearwater vs. Palm Beach..that would be expected. The service at Cafe Ponte was very good but has slipped compared to our last couple of visits.. Our waiter’s service was acceptable but a bit slow from time to time.. The service at Cafe Boulud was horrible and no comparison to the service we received at Café Ponte.. We dined at both on a Saturday night so they were equally busy.. Maybe a bit more busy at Café Ponte.. If you are in Tampa it’s worth the drive over to Clearwater.. You won’t disappointed..

Reviewed 12 December 2016

A group of 12 good friends went to Café Ponte to celebrate the holidays. The hostess was friendly and efficient, seating us as we arrived instead of making us wait. The table was well placed, the server was attentive and knowledgeable, wine and cocktails were served promptly and the breadbasket had something to please every taste. The starters and sharing plates were spectacular, especially the meatballs and the chilled seafood with mustard sauce. I had scallops which were delicious, and I sampled the filet mignon, which was perfectly prepared and fork tender. The dessert selections were astounding, especially the pistachio ice cream, caramel sauce for the house-made donuts, pot de creme, and the chocolate lava cake (yes, we shared). I highly recommend Café Ponte for any occasion and congratulate Chef Jason on a memorable meal. Kim

1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

I had dinner with clients at this location. I let them make the reservation so I knew nothing about it. Food, atmosphere and service were fantastic. I'm guessing the lovely lady that visited our table a few times to check in was the manager or owner. Regardless, she acted with the concern of an owner. I complemented her on the food and desert especially the pistachio ice cream and she sent us an extra scoop to share. I don't know what one scoop of ice cream costs, but it was enough to make me a customer for life. Good on you all.

1  Thank Rick H