“Friendly staff, good for families”

The Resort on Cocoa Beach
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed one night in Cocoa Beach whilst on our drive to Miami. Wished we had stayed there for longer! Friendly staff, very helpful, and the Mexican restaurant within the hotel was very good too. The rooms were a good size, and it was a pity we were only there for one night, so didn't make use of the facilities that the hotel offers. I would recommend it to families. Nice pool outside, very clean.

Room Tip: The hotel is very near to the beach, just a short walk and you're on it!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Resort on Cocoa Beach

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I have loved Cocoa Beach since I was a little girl and my grandparents brought me here. And its pretty much the same place it was back in the 70's....updated decor yes...glitz and ritz, no. The 1st time I visited the resort was the month it opened and fell in love with the fact I could literally stumble out the back door onto the beach and it had my must have... a washer/dryer in the unit. We bought a unit that visit and have returned every year. Now I am not going to say we haven't had our challenges but we have a fabulous group of owners that strive to keep the resort in tip top shape. In the past 2 years major improvements have been made (new furnishings, appliances, flooring, remodled bathrooms/kitchens, elevators) and the most impressive thing is that I still see alot of the SAME staff every year when I return....Carol at the front desk is the best, Smitty at the beach renting chairs/umbrellas (whose price has always been 20.00 a set-up) and Sandi our GM. The one thing we still can't seem to get right is the wireless in the rooms...in the lobby its lightening fast, the rooms its spotty. We have been working on it for a long time (personally I think its due to all the reinforced walls to make the place hurricane worthy)... and we will continue to work on making it better. Oh, and speaking of hurricane worthy... we were there during Tropical Storm Faye when it sat over us for 3 days and not once did I feel unsafe, even being ocean-front on the 7th floor. The 1 thing that people don't realize is that room assignments are made on a First come basis...so the earlier in the day you come the higher your room will be, and this is the way it's always been. Our most recent visit was 12/17-12/24 and we arrived at 10am and were given a penthouse with a double balconey (which means the living room and master br have access to balconey). We are looking forward to returning this summer for 2 wks.
There are lots of good resturants in the area depending on what you want... our Favorite is Milliken's Reef out by the cruise ship docks.
My only complaint is that there isn't much for the teen crowd to do...but we're working on it.
Also some have said that they had noise issues....I have never had a problem in all the years we've been coming here...maybe I've been lucky or there are certain areas that have problems and I haven't been in them.

Room Tip: Arrive early to get the higher floor rooms...they are assigned on a first come basis
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank elphie1162
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My friend and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of December 2011. We were assigned a two bedroom condo on the sixth floor. Check in was a breeze...staff at the front desk were very helpful. Thr room was very spacious and clean. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, living room, and dining room. We had a balcony with an ocean view...had to lean over to see the beach and ocean. The hotel is situated directly on the beach which was nice. Unfortunately, it was too windy when we were there to sit on the beach. We did lay at the pool one day. They had live entertainment but it wasn't really happening. The location was convenient to numerous restaurants. There is a Mexican restaurant at the resort but did not try it. All in all, the Resort on Cocoa Beach was a nice place to stay. I would definitely stay here again if in the area!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debb05
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Very helpful front desk staff. Family of 5 stayed for 2 nights pre cruise and spent 1 day at Kennedy space center.Free parking and Wifi was helpful reception in rooms is poor.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We stayed here for the airshow because of its location and suites. Great location, clean and nicely appointed rooms. However, a few awkward moments did occur. When we checked out, we were told that if we wanted to use the facilities, we needed to hand in our rubber wristbands, that were $6 if lost (really?), and exchange them for paper wristbands that indicated that we are now day guests. Then, if we wanted to get towels, they would have to retain my driver's license so that if we did steal them, we would be charged $15 apiece (really?). I left the property to pick up a bottle of wine and lunch at the store for the airshow and realized I was driving without my license. Nice. Later, after coming off the beach from the airshow, we wanted to take a dip at the pool. We placed our belongings down at a table near the pool. We also placed the half-consumed bottle of wine on the table. Obviously, (duh) it's glass,(having owned four homes with inground pools, I think I know this) so we walked over to the bar to ask if we could have plastic to place the remaining wine in. When we got back our wine had been confiscated. We literally had to ask strangers around us if they had seen who took it. Finally, a security guard (really?) came over, lectured us about glass at the pool (really?) and told us our bottle was at the front desk. Not to sound like a snob, but I am. I am a 5-star person. I stay at high-end resorts when I travel. Since there are no 5-stars on Cocoa Beach, well, I did the best I could. My point is, the towel and wine issue would NEVER happen at a Waldorf or Ritz. Never. It would have been handled so much more appropriately. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Fruitcake13
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This resort was a perfect location for a five-day getaway for my husband and me, and just a block from the Cocoa Beach Air Show in November. We had a two-bedroom, two-bath exchange through RCI. The unit was very nicely decorated, and had a full kitchen with place settings for 8 (almost unheard of in timeshare exchanges) plus a full-size washer and dryer in the unit. There was a nice balcony with a table and chairs that looked out the side with ocean views. We were on the sixth floor. There are three elevators that offered quick service. The pool was large and very nice, and heated. The hot tub is located on a second floor deck overlooking the pool, with lots of lounge chairs on both levels. There is also a tiki bar by the pool offering frozen drinks and beer, etc.

The resort has a large fountain at the entrance off Highway A1A and also a nice waterfall in the lobby. A movie theatre shows relatively recent flicks. There was also a game room for kids, including two pool tables. There is a Mexican restaurant within the resort, but we did not dine here (instead, we went after fresh seafood, for which there are many choices in this area).

I like the fact that this is a relatively quiet location in a beach town, and the whole area isn't overly commercialized. However, you can drive across the Causeway and go to a large mall with surrounding restaurants and stores that are chain-type places. Of course, Cocoa Beach is also just a 45-minute drive from Orlando, so there are many choices of activities within a short distance.

I would definitely go back here for a longer stay with friends and family!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mderabas
Reviewed 15 November 2011

After the madness of a conference and DisneyWorld, Cocoa Beach was the perfect spot for a few days of actual vacation time. Very easy to get to from Orlando/Disney, the resort is a good size (not too big/small), perfectly situated on the beach, and central to everything you could want to do on a beach vacation. The pool and hot tub were great, very clean, and hosted live music, trivia, and other activities over the few days we were there. The room was very large with balcony (lean to see the ocean), and two good sized bedrooms. Twin beds were close to the end of their comfy life, but nowhere near as bad as those at the Disney Resort we had just come from. Bathrooms were spotless, with great water pressure. Towels were small and thin, not the best, but ok. Gym was great, onsite movie theater, game room, etc. all very nice features.
Downsides - Beach/pool towel policy was a little aggressive (1 swap per day, per person, in person). Onsite restaurant was awful, and I found a couple of women at the front desk rather unfriendly and unhelpful. Not able to break a $20, offered late checkout charge of $100 (even though the resort was clearly not at capacity), and no alternative to stay at pool and use restrooms, etc. offered as it is in other hotels. A simple request for directions back to the airport really seemed to bother the worse offender. Alone these wouldn't be a big deal, but all were delivered with lots of attitude and "face", and the general sense that I was an idiot, obviously bothering them with these three ridiculous requests. On a side note, it wasn't as bad on the beach directly in front of the resort, but walking down even a few yards, the tide lines on the beach were absolutely full of tiny, colorful plastic bits. This means the water there is full of plastic refuse sludge. Plastic and chemicals the little fish are eating, that the big fish are eating, that we are eating. Besides that, it's just gross to walk on, play in, or swim in. I had seen the plastic "dumps" churning out in the ocean on Discovery Channel shows, but have never seen the actual effects so clearly on the Atlantic Coast. So disturbing.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family