1,812 results
All reviewsgolf coursedive shopgrounds are beautifulmanatee touradventure centershuffle boardsunset cruisewater viewwet suitsmain buildinghot tubold floridagreat weekendscallopsmusty smellstayed longerboat rentals
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Okay, we recently decided to stay here for 2 nights while we were in CR to snorkel with the manatees. The location is convenient, and the property is nicely laid out. Yes, it is an older resort, but all in all the public spaces seem to be nicely kept. We stayed in the new wing in a king (Expedia rate $104/nite), so we thought this was good. The room was clean and newly renovated. After some research my husband was able to hook us up to broadband for $10/day. We thought the room was quite comfortable for the money. There were a few things that were disappointing: (1) walls thin -when our neighbors came back we could hear them quite well along with their tv at 6 am.; (2) the heat fan blew loudly; (3) no refrigerator in the room; and (4) no ice machine on our floor, had to go upstairs for ice. We decided to make things easy for dinner on the first night and ate in the dinning room. The service was good. Both of us being in the restaurant business, thought several things to be disappointing. We concluded that either there wasn't any management or they needed some serious pointers! We were told that they were "out of ALL WINE", no wine list!!!! WOW!!!! We were told that we could have a glass of house wine or buy a bottle of that (Robert Mondavi version, I think?). We ordered the clams as an appetizer, and the waitress came back after taking our order and said that they were out. So, we chose something else. I ordered the grouper with "mango salsa." Call me crazy but I could swear that the salsa was either canned fruit cocktail chopped, minus the cherries, or possibly the syrup with chopped up melon from the breakfast buffet? Not too impressive being a Saturday night!!! So, knowing these things, we probably won't spend the money there the next time we return. We did find several good places around the area to eat. We ventured out to Pecks and had steamed blue crab for lunch (which was AWESOME!!!), and we headed to Charlies for stone crab (the only place around that still had them on Sunday) for dinner. All in all we had a good experience at the resort and will return, but we will do some things differently.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PurpleladyAsheville
Reviewed January 19, 2010

To be fair, we had to cancel our reservations at the hotel and boat rentals at the marina and can only say that we did so in a timely manner and were refunded accordingly for the room rental. However, the marina was a different story. The owner refused to refund the deposit and said that we did not cancel and then said later we had multiple reservations, but never got his story right. As with the hotel, we did cancel the boat rental, had a name of the person we spoke with and the date of cancellation. Apparently the marina does not provide confirmation numbers and he decided he would argue with my wife and I and said it would have to be handled with the hotel. Well, the hotel basically said that they would try to resolve it, but never did and after many phone calls to the accounting department and one to the assistant manager (that was never returned) I was eventually told that I would have to file a complaint with our credti card. We did, and after much hassle got the money back. Would it not have been a lot better just to have been friendly and not aggrivate a potential return customer?. After that, I decided to stay somewhere else.

JB

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Firefox264
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My sister had her wedding at the Plantation Inn. I was concerned about how it would accommodate the extended family and friends but shouldn't have worried. The staff was wonderful to work with. We had a golf package rate that included a wonderful hot breakfast buffet. It is an older hotel so some issues in some rooms with the heating, but overall they were more than satisfactory. The bar was a great place to hang out with family between planned events and watch Bowl Games etc.
The food at the reception was very good - better than usuall expected when serving so many.
Tennis courts, volleyball, shuffleboard, croquet, etc helped keep kids of all ages entertained. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Perhaps at one time this hotel was a first class establishment, it apparently has fallen on hard times. We could tell that renovations had been done, but rather slip shod. We have lights that don't work, the walls seem thin, it's extremely noisy from the other rooms, there is a strong mildew odor. The front desk person was rude upon our arrival and was not clear in the least with direction to our room. The front desk person at night, perhaps the same person, but I'm not sure, I spoke with them on the phone, was equally rude when I asked about internet access. I thought it was free, but found that it's $10 per day.
These are small nuisences and irritants, but when added together they make for a very poor stay. If you'd like to enjoy yourself, it would behoove you to look elsewhere, in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peggy70403
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at the Plantation in August during the busy scalloping season. The main resort was full and our room was in a building across the street on the golf course. The layout of the room was nice, with a kitchen, full bath, and 2 sofa beds downstairs and two double beds and a full bath upstairs, but it was in need of refurbishing. Lamps upstairs featured bare bulbs with no covers. There was a bit of mildew and rust, not too bad, but worth mentioning. There were also a few things that needed attention, such as burned out light bulbs and a broken towel rack..
Parking was very convenient, including a generous area for boat trailer parking.
The pool area and pool bar are very nice.The only meal we ate at the resort was the breakfast buffet, which I am sorry to say was awful. All 4 members of our group heaped their plates, then left most of it there after tasting.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
We took our boat and found the boat parking very convenient. However, the boat ramp needs to be extended. You can't launch or load a large boat at low tide. Navigating a boat over 20 ' is difficult in the channel.
Despite the less than perfect things, we enjoyed our stay. The kids were thrilled to see manatees and dolphins. If the Plantation invests in some improvements, it will be a great place to stay in the Crystal River/Homosassa Springs area.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family