“This place is a big surprise”
Review of Kumo

Kumo
Ranked #18 of 106 Restaurants in Davenport
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 6, 2017

It is not often that I find a place that truly blew me away, this is surely one of them. Located in a simple Strip mall, this place doesn't look like much from the outside. But rest assured, looks can be highly deceiving.

We came in for a small dinner, and were somewhat intimidated by the "low standard look" of the place and surrounding. Nonetheless, we sat down and ordered some of their "Special signature" rolls and some Tampura. You can't go wrong with Tampura, the kitchen needs to be really bad to mess that one up. However, a Scallop tampura is something I've not seen in a while - and it was perfect. The scallops were done just right, not over cooked - moist and tasty. The sushi was colorful, fresh, tasty and most of all, generous and interesting - as Sushi should be.

Serious Kudos to the Wasabi paste, which in most places seems like a bland green color, this was vibrant and strong - cleared my sinuses in seconds.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

Sushi and tempura were quite good. The service was just ok. Waitress was not friendly. We ordered various sushi and it was tasty and big portions if fish.

Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

Came with a friend for dinner - place was empty at 7 on Friday! We ordered separate checks and I ordered edamame to start and the. Hibachi shrimp and veggies which came with miso soup and salad. My friend got teriyaki beef with veg - we didn't want rice. The owner said - would you like the edamame first and we said yes. Next thing we knew her meal came out with soup and salad, then my soup and salad came and nothing else! Waited 10 minutes - still no edamame. Owner and hostess sat to eat dinner!! We were incredulous and asked for the edamame which then came. My dinner came 15 minutes later and my friends meal sat getting cold as she was politely waiting for me! Staff sat there eating and on phones!!! We then asked for my meal and they said because we ordered separate checks our meals were not going to come together! We said you can see we are here together having dinner - could you time it so we could eat together and they apologized but it was SO bizarre!

Food and sake good - service and atmosphere non existent!

Reviewed July 20, 2017

I ate here 3 times over 2 weeks and also ordered a takeaway. Service was fast. Sushi was fresh and tasty. Value was excellent. Sushi Lunch special (Miso soup, salad with ginger dressing, 8 pieces California roll and 4 pieces sushi) was an incredible $8.99. We had pork gyoza followed by a sushi platter with some additional a la carte sushi for dinner. Again, great value and very tasty, all washed down with a bottle of Sapporo beer. When we ordered takeaway bento boxes, they were ready for collection in 15 minutes.

The restaurant is a little small and dark inside. It wasn't very busy any time that we visited. There was seating at the sushi bar and also at tables.

Reviewed July 6, 2017

This restaurant is small, but clean. The food was cooked to order and fresh. You can watch the guy make your sushi. Price was reasonable and affordable.