“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wimauma, Florida
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at the resort the weekend of the 2012 Bud Shootout and was in a King Deluxe Suite and it was fairly nice knowing the age of the resorts on the beach. At the time, I booked my room for the Bud Shootout I also, booked my room for the Daytona 500 race. There was a 5 night minimum of which I only stayed for 4 but, was ok with it. The lady booked me in a Studio so, I thought it should be as good or better than the King Deluxe. WRONG!!! It was a small room with 2 Double Beds and so very small. I paid $100 more per night and also, one additional night. I complained and of course, nothing changed. If you have to call the front desk you are in trouble...they rarely answer. When I entered my room, the entry light did not work, no wash clothes in the room...and get this you have a 5 night minimum and they do not provide you with a room cleaning or clean linens unless you pay for it...a whopping $87 each time. I can only imagine what some of the rooms look like or the beds when people leave. Do not get misled when they say a Studio Suite. It is so very small.

Room Tip: Choose a King Size or Double Queen Deluxe if you want space.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My biggest complaint was that there were no locks above children's reach. They could easily open the door and walk out as our 2 year old did. Luckily we caught her before she got away but who knows what could of happened. The door needs a deadbolt, latch or at the very least a safety chain. I also was harrassed constantly by sales pitch..very annoying. The living furniture was AWFUL. We had a broken faucet in the bathroom and could not even turn the water on but we called and they did send someone up to fix it right away. We did not even go in the pools...they looked filty!! The place does need a good cleaning inside and out..just felt very rundown. Finally, on a positive note..the view is gorgeous.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Make sure you allow extra time for the check-in. They are extremely slow and will spend most of the time with a "manager" trying to figure it out. If you get to your room and have things that require the attention of the maintenance crew, you better leave right away as it'll never get fixed. The pools are not heated as advertised. Also beware of the vultures that will try and lure you to the "sales pitch".

Room Tip: Goto the Hilton next door
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The hotel service and the rooms were bad. The facility is actually in a great spot and close to many amenities. My daughter loved the pool area so we even came back thinking maybe we got a bad room on the last trip. The ocean view suite room was just as bad. Musty, no Internet and worn furniture. The shower door would not close correctly and they would not switch our room. The door was actually dangerous. We ended up leaving a day early and stayed with a family member in Palm Coast. We repeatedly left messages for management and never heard back from them. My wife called Peter Davidson at ------------ this week just to see if anything has changed. She left two messages and again, NO RETURN CALL. What a waste of such a good facility.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MDSteveQ
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I just visited Daytona Beach with a friend for the beginning of Speed Weeks 2012. This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this resort and it never disappoints. When we checked in, we were assigned a room in the south tower (old section) on the beach, which was nice, but when we walked in, ouch, it was not that nice. The unit was way overdue for a rehab, we found broken closet doors, faucets that were really loose in the bathroom, the dining room table was sticky and the unit just felt dirty.

We went down and talked to the front desk and they accommodated us, by moving us to the 25th floor of the North Tower (newer section).

Our new unit was great, still needs to be updated a little, mainly the furniture that was not very comfortable, but not as bad as the south tower unit we were in. The 25th floor unit was on the south end of the building, it had a balcony facing the beach from the living room and another from the 2nd bedroom that faced the beach and the river, best of both worlds, amazing views from either. I would say the only real complaint I had with this unit, was the shower head in the 2nd bathroom, it was very bad and needed to be replaced. Overall the unit was very comfortable, had everything you needed, even though all we needed was beer, chips and snacks, we ate out each night, what do you expect from a couple of guys away from home, no wives or kids. :-)

The location of Ocean Walk is good, the connected Ocean Walk Village area is a nice perk, you don't have to walk far for food!

Be aware that you only get 1 parking spot per unit, so if you are having multiple people driving in, they will have to park in the daily garage across the street, even if they are staying at Ocean Walk. I find this kind of annoying, as the units sleep 8 people easy, and if you have multiple couples, with their own cars, this is a problem. I see that during the summer parking could be limited, but during the winter there were many unused spaces in the garage, even for Speed Week, so I would think they would have some concessions that could be worked out.

We will be back to Ocean Walk, as this is a great resort and is in a great location in regards to the Daytona International Speedway. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: ask for a unit in the North Tower.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vacation_Dude_20
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just used an RCI exchange to stay at this property and had a great week! We had a one-bedroom unit -- a "B" unit without at balcony -- and were afraid we'd feel closed in, but it was actually quite a good space! We slept well and had everything we needed to make many breakfasts in. The couch was uncomfortable on our backs, but everything else was well designed and nicely decorated.
We loved being able to walk out the door to the beach, to various restaurants and the cinema! It was not a particularly warm week, so we didn't sit out at the pool, but we did enjoy riding bikes and strolling down the boardwalk. Still, it's good to have a car (easy in & out, free covered parking spaces) to drive to lots of attractions -- we particularly loved Blue Spring Park (manatees galore!) and the Ponce Inlet lighthouse and area (the beach is particularly beautiful there). Do stop off at the concierge and get directions and lots of coupons!

Room Tip: Free internet only in lobby -- we had to pay AT&T $6/day in room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S B
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham Ocean Walk, however the accommodations left a lot to be desired. To begin on a positive note, the general hotel grounds and amenities are well cared for and we thoroughly enjoyed the two indoor pools, the outdoor heated pool, the hot tub (spa) and the waterslide. Although during our trip the weather was cold and windy we were able to swim in the outdoor pool that had the waterslide as it was heated to an agreeable temperature. The outdoor lazy river was not heated (I am told it is very hard to heat moving water and keep it heated so this is understandable) and we did not use it. Also, the kids area was not heated so my children played in the pool. The pools were open until midnight (YAY!) which we took advantage of by swimming on our arrival evening late with our two children. The pools were never crowded, although if you wanted a lounge chair in the sun you had better get out and reserve your chairs early. The indoor pools were also very nice, uncrowded and heated to a slightly cool temperature that was still comfortable for swimming.

After returning to the lounge one evening we found that they were doing Karaoke in the bar/lounge area that is part of the lobby. The activity director approached us and asked my seven year old if she would like to sing. My daughter loves nothing more than to entertain so she took him up on his offer and he managed the crowd and her singing with care to make sure none of the ‘rowdier’ guests got out of control while she was singing (not really much of a threat since it was a pretty sedate group, but I was happy that he did it anyway. It was a positive experience for us and very memorable. We were very happy he approached us because we never would have thought to do it otherwise.

The hotel staff was all very friendly and helpful. We did need to ask for some extra dishes/silverware and had a running toilet that needed fixed and all of these were given prompt attention.

We found the location of the hotel to be very convenient. I think they push that being close to the Ocean Walk Shoppes is a great advantage of the resort, but really we found the shops and dining to be passable and used them more for the convenience of location rather than because they offered superior product or great value.

Now for the negative: the room. We booked a one bedroom which is usually plenty of room to accommodate my husband, two small children and myself. The room did have a lot of space, but really lacked any thoughtfulness to the design. We really had no place to put any of our stuff away which meant everything was out in the open and we were tripping over it during our stay. Even something like this can be overlooked if the rooms in general are in good condition. Ours was not. We only had two cups and two spoons in our kitchen for four people (we called and we were given more), there was no dishtowel or anything of the sort and really when they say in their description that there is a mini kitchen they are not kidding, there was barely room for one person to turn around. There was no dining table in the room, just a small expanded area of the kitchen counter with four tall chairs around it (not appropriate for small children if you ask me). If people are sitting at the counter while you are prepping a meal your counter space is significantly reduced. Our microwave door was duct taped because the bottom section by the handle was broken, the burners on the stove were not attached and the burners would not work (this was easily fixed by my husband who is very handy, but I never would have been able to fix it on my own) the fridge door handle was very dirty and it looked like someone tried to paint the fridge and the paint ran and it was never corrected. The dishwasher barely accommodated the breakfast and lunch dishes from my family of four and we had to run it twice a day (I recommend bringing some extra dishwashing detergent). No big deal to run it twice a day, except it was really very loud.

The appointments in the living area were old and outdated and appeared to be unclean. We found an old moldy tomato on the floor and gum stuck to the bottom of the counter (actually my five year old found them). While we didn’t use the pull out sofa sleeper, it looked to be broken and was desperately sagging in the middle.

The real problem was the bathroom. The mirror was so old that the corners were wearing and had no reflective value to them. There was black mold inside the handle on the shower and along the wall in the grout around the edge. There was no way I would allow my children to take a bath so showers it was for all. The shower curtain was just a curtain made of some silky material (no liner) that a) barely reached the top of the tub and b) was made of such a light material that when the warm water was on it created a draft which made the curtain blow in and stick to you while you were in the shower (and this was gross because that too was moldy). The toilet and sink top appeared clean. The layout of the bathroom was not well thought out. The door from the bedroom and the door from the hallway both opened in and took up most of the usable space in the bathroom. There was only one towel rack which was hung over the back of the toilet. Not only was this not enough space to hang wet suits and beach and bath towels, but if you drop anything off of there and the lid is not closed on the toilet it is heading right in!

The beds were average and the pillows somewhat uncomfortable and hard. The TV in the bedroom was laughably small and there was an odd window to the HALLWAY in the bedroom?!!! The air conditioning unit was in the hallway closet and was really loud. If you have trouble sleeping with loud noises (it would circulate on and off so it was not steady and we found it disturbing whether you were in the bedroom or the kitchen/living area).

We were on the eighteenth floor and the balcony was very nice and the view from it was excellent. The screen door to the balcony was broken so we really couldn’t leave the door open.

The layout of the room was absolutely nothing like the layout they have on their website.

The kicker was we went on a tour for the timeshare. The room they showed us as a sample room was beautiful. Immaculate, updated and clean, it really only made me angry that I was paying for the junky room I had and at the same rate as the rooms in the north tower. I questioned our salesperson who assured me that only the rooms in the south tower were old, that Wyndham actually owned the rooms in the north tower while they only managed the rooms in the south tower and had less control over the condition. Really I was appalled that they (Wyndham) would put their name on something so trashy and then ask us if we wanted to invest a large sum of money with them to stay at their properties regularly. If the rooms in the north tower were all really that nice then Wyndham should be ashamed for renting rooms in the south tower for the same rate and it should be advertised as a ‘lesser’ selection. If the rooms in the north tower were not that nice, then shame on Wyndham for being so misleading in their sales pitch! We did ask to be shown another room and were told that there were none available (I kinda doubt that since it was the first week in February).

All of this was such a shame since all the common areas were well maintained and the resort location was so convenient. The only reason we didn’t leave was because we were not in the room very often and spent most of our time in these common areas or out and about in the Daytona area.

Sorry Wyndham, you won’t be getting any recommendations from me and I surely will not be staying at any of your properties any time soon. I can handle a room that needs a little updating, but I cannot handle dirty to the point of disgusting along with dishonest business practices.

Room Tip: Request the North Tower.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family