“Decent, but not fabulous.”

Delray South Shore Club
Sarasota, Florida
“Decent, but not fabulous.”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

First the negatives: Best of luck getting around if you've got any kind of physical handicap, as the only way up to the rooms is via slippery stairway. Also, the parking lot is hell, with tiny spaces that do not adequately allow for the opening of car doors. The pool is meh. The beach is meh. The shower is great, but again, very hard to get in and out of... and I'm 26! My parents had an almost impossible time trying to navigate the shower. My last complaint is that so much light comes through the blinds at night that it can be difficult to fall asleep or nap during the day. Also, the furniture in the living is very hard to maneuver in order to use the pull out sofa bed.
Now the positives: The kitchen is well stocked as far as utensils and plates and stuff go. There is a DVD player in the living area (although just a VCR in the bedroom). There isn't a radio or CD player, but the DVD player has a decent sound system, so if you bring your own CDs you can get music that way. There isn't really anything else besides the location, which is great. If you can get your car in and out of the driveway in one piece, of course. Our 1 month old Toyota Camry got pretty beaten up trying to get in and out of the very steep graded entry/exit.
As for what's around there: There is a Publix down the road, but I'd suggest going a little further down Linton to the Target for groceries and essentials... that Publix is pretty grim. Don't eat at the Marriott restaurant on Atlantic, go across the bridge and stop by the Blue Anchor or visit the Artists' District down on Swindon. I thought there would a lot more to do around Delray, but there really isn't. We ended up spending a lot of time in the room watching TV, trying to find somewhere that was open past 9.

One more thing, the Wi-Fi is horrible at the hotel, so make sure you bring your own internet connection with you or you'll be stuck with SouthShore wireless.

• Stayed June 2010
5 Thank Lady_Lordenwych

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
new york
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Excellent location, on the water, friendly and helpful staff! We bought more weeks and now have 5 weeks. We wouldn't trade it for anything. The other guests are great and we have made many friends in the 5 years that we have been coming here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bebopking
Long Island New York
Reviewed 29 September 2009

This vacation was an exchange through interval international. Before booking I do a thorough review of the location we are interested in going to. I read the reviews about Delray South Shore Club and they seemed pretty good, a small place, great location and on the beach just what we like and were looking for, and keep in mind we have never been disappointed with the reviews from tripadvisor before so off we went. Well I guest there is a first time for everything. Pardon me for jumping around, but here we go. The rooms are old and the furnishings in our room, which I believe it was room 304B just opposite the pool, were filthy. We had to use the extra set of sheets that they give you with the pull out couch to cover the couch so we could sit on it to watch TV at night. The bed was very uncomfortable and boy did it make a lot of noise ever time you moved. The room on the main floor had only one window facing the walkway so you get very little light that comes in which makes you feel like your in a motel 6. The 2 plastic chairs and small plastic table outside our front door were really dirty, Need sat out there, they really needed a good power washing. The path that goes through the place was all over grown with bushes and the few flowering plants that they do have. The pool is very small and so is the hot tub. The TV in the bedroom if it matters to you is no larger then a 15", very small, and the TV downstairs I want to say is 20 or 25" TV. Most of the drawers in the kitchen didn't close properly or were off they tracks, again really no big deal just what you to get a true picture of the place. Now the beach. They do not I repeat they do not supply you with an umbrella, we had to go to Publics to buy one, the cost $50. How do they expect anyone to sit on the beach in 90 degree heat without an umbrella. Chairs? no chairs to lay on but if you get them in time they have those folding chairs , the kind you take to little league game to watch you kid play ball with the little cup holder on the side, thats it. The resorts to the left and the right both have plenty of chairs and umbrellas, but you can't use them. Two last things. One afternoon about 3:45 i went to the laundry room to do my wash and the washer was full with towels that had just finished being washed, as i was taking them out and putting them into the dryer the women from the office came in, apparently the women who run the office also do the wash, she started to take the wet towels and put them into a plastic bag because it was time for the office to close, so I told her that I would dry them for her and fold them and leave them her her in the morning. She thanked me but told me that she will dry them in the morning and she proceeded to place the wet towels into a plastic bag. She put two sheets of bounce in with them and she told me that that will keep them from smelling. Wow. Lastly if you don't mind living with all of Gecko's friends, yes the same Gecko from the Geico commercial because they are all over the place then you vacation at The Delray South Beach Club should be ok. On the positive side the a/c was kicking and the water pressure in the shower was great. I guest that since you are reading this you are planning on going on vacation, well have a great time where ever you decide to go.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DavePat1327
Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I love the south shore club we go there every year! I love that it is right off the beach! At night my family and I go sea turtle hunting because around june the turtles lay their eggs and my daughter love to see the sea turtles! When we go there we always have fun!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Squirt6178
Boston
Reviewed 30 January 2009

For twenty-six years, my wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at the South Shore Club. We will be there again this February.

There are only 15 units so it is not crowded at the pool or in the jacuzzi. There are only one floor and two floor apartments so you just walk outside from your room with no need for elevators. It is on the beach side of A1A with the Atlantic Dunes public beach next door. A short sand path from the property leads you to a world class, broad, clean beach with great body surfing waves when the tide is right. The furniture is replaced periodically and the place is kept as clean as can be for a beach resort. The beds are comfortable, the staff is friendly and competent, the maintenance man is always busy helping to keep the place up to snuff.

My two children, now grown, still come when they can to the club when we are there and have only wonderful memories there. It is in walking distance of great restaurants and Atlantic Ave is a happening place with eateries and night clubs and shops. Over the intercoastal bridge is a movie theater with about a hundred movies, it seems (a slight exaggeration).

I recommend the South Shore Club unequivocally.

Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank mitchly
Kansas
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We stayed the 3rd week of June 2008. The beach was clean and only a short walk from the condo. The condo was excellent!!! Clean and bright set among mulit-million dollar homes. Grocery, shopping and restaurants very close. I would stay there every year if I could!

• Liked — The cleanliness of the condo
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank RosieKansas
boston
Reviewed 8 January 2005

You can't go wrong here if you want a clean, quiet, peaceful vacation in the sun. All units have ground floor access and less than 100 yards to the sand. There is a small pool and hot tub, as well as shuffleboard. I enjoyed good fishing from the beach. In a nice area with only fine homes and other nice condo's around it. If you want walking distance to nightlife, this is not the place... however, the beach will be mostly to yourself and this is a no crime area close to Boca Raton and Palm Beach... I would go there again in a heart beat...

17 Thank joedigio
2.3 km away
The Seagate Hotel & Spa
The Seagate Hotel & Spa
#7 of 15 in Delray Beach

Been to Delray South Shore Club? Share your experiences!