“Welcome to the jungle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regatta Bay Golf and Yacht Club

Regatta Bay Golf and Yacht Club
Ranked #46 of 157 Outdoor Activities in Destin
More attraction details
Owner description: Regatta Bay is the premier golf course of Destin, Florida, located just east of the mid-bay bridge and Destin Commons. Come enjoy your favorite game in a pristine, natural setting like no other, under the warmth of the Florida sun. It is a 6,894-yard, par-72 course offering an extraordinary golf experience for players of all skill levels.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Welcome to the jungle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Professional staff and nice atmosphere for golf. We liked the wetlands and natural habitat. It was scenic golf. We expected "bay views" due to the name of the course. But didn't have much of it. However the course was well maintained and challenging for handicap 10 and above. It was fun to play even with the challenges. Not too frustrating! It starts out
alittle open then gradually narrows down.Value is good especially at
twilight rate. Might consider bringing a GPS for a few blind tee shots. Also don't make a tee time after 4:00 pm. Otherwise you won't finish by dark.

1 Thank Okie-CRNA

Moultrie, GA
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Way to slow for the first round”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I was part of a group of 11 that decided to take our semi-annual golf vacation to Destin last week. Regatta Bay was the first course we played. Up front I will say the course was in nice condition and was a good layout. The marshalls and starter were friendly and talkative. Our biggest issue was the speed of play and subsequent attitude of the pro(employee?) behind the counter.

Around the 4th hole, a marshall stopped us and told us that the fourth group in front of us was slow and that he had asked them to speed up. On maybe the tenth hole, we saw the marshall again, and he remarked that the group was playing slow and that they probably should not be playing golf (something to that effect). I did not ask but was thinking why they did not ask them to pick up and go to the last open hole to finish playing.

We played in two foursomes and a threesome. I was part of the threesome which was the last of our groups. As we were putting on 16, our group in front of us said, "Hurry up, and we will play in as a sevensome." It turned out that the slow group had let several groups play through which included our first group. So now we were stuck directly behind the slow group. As a sevensome, we had to wait on them on the teebox of 17(a par 4), the fairway of 17, the teebox of 18(a par 5), and the fairway of 18. The time for our round of golf was between 5 :00 and 5:20, and the time for our second group of golf was between 5:10 and 5:30 - unbelievable. I mentioned this to the pro behind the counter but he just gave excuses which I can not even remember now. I found it interesting that club management would prefer to make all of the groups behind the slow group upset rather than the offending group themselves.

I will say that 8 of us played an additional round of golf in 3:30. So it can be done. The only reason I will not play Regatta Bay again is because of the intial slow round and the lackadaisical attitude of the inside pro.

2 Thank robinsoniv
atlanta ga
“Greens sucked!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

This course is a tough one to judge as far as score goes. I played here on June 9, 2008 and the greens were horrific on the front side. The back side got a bit better but they were all slow and very spotty. The ball was definitely not rolling true and probably cost me at least 5-6 shots. I would question the honesty of the staff as they told me when I called that the greens were awesome.

KY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice course, questionable staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2007

Nice layout, used every club in the bag, a fair course. Greens not consistent from front 9 to back 9, had to adjust considerably. Group in front of us had a cart break down in the fairway, we had to wait 5 - 10 minutes for a new one to be brought out, which was no problem - however, a ranger came by 15 minutes later and told us to speed up (we were still right up on the group ahead). Even after our explanation of the delay, his response: "well, we're loaded today, so you have to keep moving, catch that 10 minutes up". We desire a good pace of play as much as anyone, but felt that they were obsessed, and not too diplomatic about it.

2 Thank wanderingolfer
Indy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very nice but overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2006

very well manicured course. excellent layout challenging and fun, but not rediculously unfair.

i played after 1 pm and the rate came to $89. pretty pricey considering they have construction going on around a few holes (back nine is adjacent to destin commons, so you have open views of highways, traffic, and mall construction).

in comparison, I played Bluewater Bay (Marigold/Lakes) the day before at 8am, payed about $65 with a coupon, and was totally secluded from highway noises and construction (a few homes were being built but hardly noticeable).

I'd play regatta again, but would not feel good about paying the regular fee--would only go later in the day. for that money i could play twice elsewhere and have a very comparable round.

7 Thank WhiteOut06