All reviews bar next door mermaid bar the green turtle bridal suite breakfast was delicious front porch amelia island within walking distance historic district other guests overlooking the courtyard jacuzzi tub both mornings chain hotel room key get away location is excellent
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Florida House Inn is a lovely old building with lots of character. This is the second time we've stayed here and both times it has been very quiet with very few other guests.

Parking is available in a large lot at the back of the inn and there was certainly plenty of space when we stayed! Great location - easy walking distance to everything.

There is a large garden seating area at the back of the inn, with a lovely old mermaid fountain and two lovely porches at the front.

We were given an upgraded room at the front of the inn, facing directly on to the upper porch - this was nice as the inn was so quiet and no-one else went on the porch, but some people might not like the fact that you can see into the rooms from the porch if the blinds are open, so maybe something to note when you are booking.

The room itself was cozy and quaint and had everything you could need but was a little on the small side. Likewise with the shower room, but it is a historic inn after all! Everything was mostly very clean, although my husband thought the cleaners could have made more of an effort in the corners of the shower floor and a couple of other areas that are traditionally neglected in most hotel rooms I find.

Breakfast was very nice - you help yourself to coffee and the rest is freshly cooked and brought to your table (we had eggs, bacon, grits, freshly squeeze orange juice and toast) For the price we paid the fact that we got any breakfast was a bonus, but it was excellent. The dining room is very nice also with the ceiling painted with blue sky and clouds and many charming decorative touches.

Definitely enjoyed my stay here (although you can still hear that pesky train!) although if you are expecting a traditional B&B experience (where the host/hostess fusses over you in a smaller space) you may be disappointed. The inn is quite rambling, with lots of nooks and crannies and the service style is pretty laid back and non fussy (which I liked).

2  Thank PooksNorthCarolina
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I got married here in October and I can't say enough great things about this place and the staff. They were attentive and flexible and made everyone in my group feet welcomed and comfortable. The staff pulled out all the stops for my big day and worked with us to make it special. The food was out of this world and they even kept the bar there open late for us! The building is very charming and it's located right in the heart of beautiful Amelia Island. You can walk to a lot of shops and great restaurants. I absolutely loved this place and will definitely be back. If visiting the area I can't think of anywhere better to stay.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated differently so look on the website before you book to find the one you like!
1  Thank Gabriel M
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Florida House doubles as a Bed and Breakfast And Restaurant. It was built in the 1850s and has been kept in good condition. My wife and I have stayed at multiple BBs in the past, so we have a good idea of what is out there.

Pros:
Great location. Close to the River and restaurants.
Competitive prices
Restaurant attached to building

Cons:
Poor customer service
Mediocre decor in rooms
No complimentary Tea,cookies/snacks
No bath salts for hot tub
inadequate breakfast

In conclusion, the Florida House Inn is competitively priced compared to the 2-3 other BBs that are located in Fernandina, FL; and while I understand that you get what you pay for, the service at the Florida House Inn was clearly Below Average as compared to any other BBs that I have stayed at in the past. One example of this would be the towels that we asked for. After using the original set of towels in the room upon our arrival, we asked for a second set so that we could shower later that night or the next morning. After going to the front desk two different times, it wasn't until 5 hours later (9:30 pm.) that we received the towels. Also, what separates most BBs from one another are the "little things". We payed extra for a room with a Hot Tub, but upon our arrival we realized that there were no bath salts or bath bubbles in the room. After asking the front desk about this they informed us that we could drive to a convenient store a few blocks away and buy some. Another aspect of a BB is the cozy atmosphere that they provide. Unfortunately we were not able to enjoy our stay due to a Wedding Rehearsal Dinner that was taking place there that night. I understand that the Florida House Inn is a business, but they should either require Rehersal Dinners to rent the Entire house, or at least inform their guests that they will be sharing the BB with a large group of people so that they can decided if they would like to stay somewhere else. Lastly, we were assured that the breakfast we would receive in the morning would Not be a continental style, and would Not leave us hungry. We were promised many choices to include eggs and bacon. To make a long story short, after eating the breakfast they provided me and my wife, we decided to pay for an additional breakfast at a restaurant down the street. As a side note, both my wife and I have athletic builds and are Not Over Eaters. In defense of the Florida House Inn, I understand that it has recently been taken over by New Management, a young couple (late 20s early 30s). While the husband seemed like a nice guy, he also seemed like he had a lot to learn about business. It is quite apparent that they Husband and Wife have some miscommunication issues and a lot to learn about running a business. The Florida House Inn has a lot of potential, but I would refrain from staying there for a good while until the New Management works out the kinks in the way they handle business. Simply relying on the reputation that the Florida House Inn has earned itself over the past century, in order to sell rooms, isn't fair to the couples that choose to spend the night there.

1  Thank william c
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in this historic inn on Amelia Island for a wedding weekend. The historic building was so charming and the service was friendly and great! They hosted the wedding, which was beautiful and they served amazing southern food. The location is great too. Right in the heart of this quaint town which has so much history and many fun things to do! I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The beautifully restored 17 room Florida House Inn, an 1850s (and reputed oldest surviving Florida) Hotel, created by the man who built the first Atlantic to Gulf Florida railroad, is just a block from the main (15 mph limit) avenue in old Victorian downtown Amelia Island, 2 short blocks from the must-see (and enjoy) Palace Saloon (also said to be the oldest Florida saloon), and 3 blocks from waterfront Brett's Wayside Inn restaurant and the tour boat dock. Run by very down to earth and friendly Barbara Canal and her smiling staff, the hotel has a lovely fountain-strewn rear patio, lawn and bandstand, lit by overhead strings of old clear big round bulb lights. Lazy rockers on the lengthy front wooden porch are a perfect place to sip a morning coffee or something more bracing from the mermaid-themed bar. A number of the rooms feature fireplaces and a couple have big old tubs. Rooms with a view of the back were most favored. Although we ate out mostly, the food served at the wedding we attended on the premises was imaginatively presented and marvelously seasoned authentic southern fare, including locally caught and obviously fresh shrimp and scallops which I (a non-scallop fan) found to die for. With upcoming rates as low as $90, and only $190 for the bridal suite (!!), and most rooms in September $140-150, the Inn figures to be one of the best places to imagine the footsteps of ex residents and Sunday supper enthusiasts U.S. Grant and the Carnegies, Rockefellers, Goulds and Morgans. The Inn has recently acquired and has complementary plans for the adjacent Green Turtle Bar & Grill, which features entertainment in a casual indoor-outdoor setting weekends. If you're an early night tuckaway you might request to be away from the northern Green Turtle on weekends, though most sounds were muted after 10. This was our first trip to Amelia Island, but we'll be back ASAP, and stay right here.

Room Tip: Antiquers take note: At the corner of the main avenue and 6th street is a rambling antique shop which has a vast variety of bric-a-brac at fabulous bargain prices. We were constrained by small air luggage but will return better prepared. We also highly recommend the boat tour of the intercoastal waterway up past Georgia's southernmost (and Amelia, Florida-adjacent) Cumberland Island, a now US park service protected sanctuary of wild horses, bald eagles and the remnants of several large Carnegie - Rockefeller residences, as well as a glimpse of the nearby submarine base. The on-board guides were spectacular in their knowledge and presentation. A horse-drawn cart tour of the many Victorian
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple