“Fairly good but not memorable or worthy of return; overpriced”
Review of 29 South Eats

29 South Eats
Reserve with OpenTable
29 South Eats is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ash
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife andf I visited 29 South on a busy Friday night. We had secured a reservation through OpenTable as that was the method the restaurant utilized. We had no problems with the OpenTable method. To the credit of 29 South, we were running late for our reservation and were allowed to move it back 15 minutes through a simple phone call. The restaurant kindly moved the reservation without hassle. The food was fairly good but not memorable. The entrees and especially the appetizers are overpriced for the size of the servings. The crawfish beignets & fried green tomatoes appetizers were average, but again, not memorable as far as taste. Presentation was appropriate. The restaurant was clean. This is definitely an old, converted house. In the middle of the dining room the floor seemed to slope very slightly but this is, again, due to the age of the structure. My wife enjoyed the shrimp and grits, but at $22, this entree is definitely overpriced. The same dish, only better, can be had at Picasso in the Mandarin area of southernmost Jacksonville for $10. The fish tacos were not memorable at all. Of mention, I will always order the fish tacos if they appear on a menu so I speak with some authority as to this dish. The tacos lacked flavor, came with no sauce and were served in a (mostly) hard taco. Far better fish tacos can be had at Burrito Gallery or Olio in Downtown Jacksonville. The ambience was in no way romantic. The tables are fairly close together but not uncomfortably so. The service was average, she was nice but not overly attentive. The restaurant seems to put considerable emphasis on fresh organic products and "sustainability". While this is en vogue the chef is missing the mark on taste (tends to be bland), portion size (needs to be larger) and price (29 South is overpriced). I would probably not return for dinner but may try the bruch.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed 19 February 2012

You can't go wrong with the Chef's wine selections. NY strip steak was cooked perfectly and large enough to satisfy my Labrador and me.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We recently went to 29 South Eats for Valentine's dinner. Great place, as always. If you are in town, this is a great restaurant to visit. The pork chop dinner - very good - either my spouse or I order it. The fish special is always good as well as the shrimp and grits.

This is the freshest food around.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We had dinner inside as it was too cold for eating outside on the nice porch. Friendly staff, swift service, tasty soup, fresh salade, excellent fish and desert. Would change the inside deco however, to make it more welcoming. Would go back.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

As condo owners on Amelia, my wife and I have tried most of the restaurants over the years. 29 South Eats is consistently at the top. The food is great, service is friendly, and the wine list, while not extensive certainly meets my needs with an interesting mix of wines by the glass. Be sure to save room for the Coffee and Doughnuts dessert. It is the best.