“Brand new hotel on Fort Lauderdale beach......”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #15 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 12 March 2011

B Ocean is a new contemporary hotel....Great location with very friendly staff...Very nicely decorated from the lobby to the rooms...bathroom was very cool with a rain shower..the ocean view from our room was gorgeous.....all bells and whistles in the room were nice...the only complaint I have is the air conditioner was a bit noisy...maintenance came and did quiet it down a bit....the light coming in around the door was bright but still had a nice time and liked the hotel a lot........

1  Thank RobertH10
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Dear RobertH10,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you found our service and design to be excellent. My team and I are working hard to make sure all of our improvement areas are resolved as efficiently as possible. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.

Reviewed 12 March 2011

'I've traveled for years and have stayed in all types of hotels, and this is the only time I've written a review good or bad. Avoid this hotel! I was delayed on my flight and called the "B" for two hours to hold the room for a late check-in, but the call was never answered. There was no voice mail nor transfer, just ringing off the hook. When I arrived, the valet attendant took my keys, and showed me to the front desk, but nobody was there. The valet thought that he must be in the men's room and went looking for him. Twenty-five minutes later I was still standing at the front desk listening to the phone ring off the hook. Then, the elevator opened and a smiling young man welcomed me to the"B". He said he hoped I wasn't waiting long and I said that I had been. He apologized and said that he was the only one working that shift and that he was the check-in clerk, maintainance man, and room service. I told him the phones were ringing off the hook, and instead of checking me in, he excused himself and took the next call! I waited another five minutes while he listened to a complaint and said there wasn't anything he could do, since he was the only one working. When I was walking to the elevator, he told me to call him if I need room service, and he would personally take care of it. It took me thirty minutes to check-in, the phones weren't answered, complaints weren't dealt with, and the only employee at the "B" guaranteed me personal service! The room was small and the bed was uncomfortable with ill-fitting sheets, and in the shower the next morning I discovered there was no soap anywhere. This hotel is filthy and should be avoided at all cost.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank RobDefabbo

Dear RobDefabbo,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am sincerely sorry that your arrival experience was poor. I take full responsibility for this service failure, it is my job to provide support to my team so they may exceed your expectations. I have spoken with my Night Auditor and he has assured me that your experience was an anomaly. If you choose to give us another try, you will see that the overnight team is fully staffed to the appropriate volume. I am also very sorry that you did not find your bed comfortable or the room clean. I have received nothing but positive comments regarding both. My team and I embrace both positive and constructive feedback and commit to you that we will use for comments to improve. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

I needed to be i the South Florida area for a quick business meeting and then a few days of relaxation with my wife. Although we have been in this area a million times we never know where to say without looking around for a while. My wife found the B Ocean online and we checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor. Even though there were some negatives and a few things that didn't seem all that appealing (small pool and gym, etc) we decided to take a chance on this place and were thrilled from the moment we got here.

First of all, I cant even count the number of people that welcomed us upon our arrival. They have obviously made a concerted effort to be as friendly and welcoming as possible to their guests. Everyone went out of their way to check us in properly, make dinner reservations and anything else we wanted.

As you probably know, this is a recently opened place in a former Holiday Inn. Somebody in a previous review mentioned it's a HI with a paint job. That's the farthest from the truth. If you didn't know the history you would never know. It's very modern and contemporary and brand new. The lobby is small but new and comfortable and ultra modern. It is surrounded by two restaurants on each side and the a small, very heated pool in the back with a small bar.

We found the sleeping room very nice with a nice big bed, big tv, small but modern bathroom, plenty of space for clothes and a nice large desk. What else could you want as you look out your window right on the ocean?

On the night we arrived they opened the sushi restaurant for guests only. Nice place, innovative drink menu, but I thought the food was just average unfortunately and the service weird. It's a "sharing" concept so they bring the food as it is prepared which is cool even though my wife doesnt eat the same stuff I do, but all of a sudden it got brutally slow while waiting for the last cooked entries. No bigee, they took it off the bill and only charged us for one drink. Once they work out the kinks the service will probably be more efficient.

For breakfast room service the first morning, we left the order out the night before and it came as we requested the next morning but was missing one entree. Nobody answered at room service so i went down to the front desk and they immediatley took it off the bill. Sure, slightly annoying but mistakes happen and it was quickly rectified.

Yes, we could hear the pitter patter of little feet above us but nothing next door. We were awakened every few hours from 2am to 6am by spring breakers congregating by the elevators but i was too tired to tell them to shut up. Finally at around 6 someone from the hotel told them to get lost.

Behind the hotel some may find it slightly seedy. There are a number of bars and 3 tattoo shops along with a convenience store near by, and an ice cream store. I liked the fact that we could walk back there and have a quick drink or get a paper or something. You are in the middle of Commerical Blvd and Los Alos so everything else is close.

All in all, great place. We really liked it. Close, convenient, comfortable, cute, trendy, friendly, etc. Stay here!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2011

Dear rockface67,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. By looking at your profile, you travel a lot, so you obviously know what you are talking about. I am very happy to read that our efforts to greet every guest every time is being noticed. Our core value is to make our every guest feel welcomed and B appreciated. I will be sure to share your constructive comments with my team to ensure they improve on the need areas. Thank you so much for choosing to B Our Guest and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

We stayed at the B for one night pre cruise and thought it was great. The view from the rooms on the upper floors is fantastic. We stayed at this hotel when it was the Holiday Inn and have watched its transformation when we visited the area. The location next to the Galleria Mall with several restaurants to choose from was perfect. Thanks to Tiffany for the coupon for a free flat bread at Season 52. She was also helpful in switching our room to an upper floor. Tommy - you really should be a cruise director.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear kptbylor,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy that you found our views and facilities to B excellent. I am ecstatic that Tiffany and Tommy were able to show you such great service and I agree, they both would B terrific cruise directors. Unfortunately for the cruise lines, they are mine and I have big plans for them both. I hope you choose to stay with us again soon and thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.

Reviewed 10 March 2011

My husband and I traveled for a four day weekend just to get away from the cold weather. I got the room by negotiating a price on another website, so I could not choose the hotel. Once we arrived, we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel's style was trendy and contemporary. We were able to check in even though it was a little early. We immidately dumped our luggage and went down to the pool bar. The bar and pool area were perfect. I was suprised to learn the bar and staff had only been there for two to three weeks. You would have never know! There were plently of tables, lounge chairs and three cabanas to hand out in by the pool. The beach is right across the street (but who wants that when the bar is next to the pool.)
The hotel was situatated in the perfect spot. My husband and I walked everywhere. It was a ten minute walk to the Gallaria Mall where there are plenty of nice restuarants, plus Macy's and Dillards. There is a bus stop right out front of the hotel where you can hop on the bus for ten minutes and go to Los Olas Blvd.
The hotel Bistro was excellent. I highly recommend the organic eggs benedict. I had it every morning. My husband ate the Florida style eggs benedict every morning (with salmon). The sushi restuarant was not open yet, but it looked wonderful. It was opening a week after we left. Also, there was complimentary coffee in the Bistro.
The room was clean. The shower was GREAT! They provided Avveno products and a hair dryer. We had plenty of towels, tissues and toliet paper.
I stumbled upon this hotel, but I would stay there every time we go to Ft. Lauderdale.

Dear Cajerp76,

Wow, thank you for sharing such incredible comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you and your husband were able to experience B Ocean at her best. I am very excited to share your comments with my entire team, they work so hard to help our guests stay to B whatever you want it to B. I am glad you were able to B nourished at B'stro and that you enjoyed our pool area. I am happy to report that SAIA is open to the public now and the reviews are amazing. Please come back and B invigorated with us soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

So far I'm enjoying my stay so very much. The staff are super friendly and accomidating and the hotel is quite modern and sassy.
The room is fine I'm not moving in so I don't need a huge space, it is super clean and the bed super comfy.
They do however need to work out a few kinks in the bathroom, I keep flooding the floor. The glass door does not cover enough of the splashing with the overhead shower. The privacy glass I think was put in reverse I couldn't see out of the bathroom but my mom in, which was quite funny.
The food is excellent and the poolside area is perfect if u need to relax. On the smaller side, but they make the best of the space. Covered cabanas, lounge chairs, towels and a bar.
I've still have one more day of vaca left, and I wish I had more time. This was the perfect spot for me, my sister and my mom. We've decided this is our new girls only vacation spot and can't wait to come back next year.

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear aastylz ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a nice review of B Ocean with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad you are enjoying your stay and hope I have had the chance to meet you personally. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

I recently stayed at the B Feb. 28th to March 3rd in order to get away from the cold weather in Pennsylvania. We got to the hotel at 11am and were able to check in as our room was available. The hotel is beautiful from the moment you walk in and the staff was right there for your every need. Our room was a corner king and the view was awesome. I highly recommend this room with a floor to ceiling window and another large window over the desk area makes you feel as if you were on the beach. Due to the high winds during the trip we stayed in the pool area and were always able to get chairs. Although small it is a great place to relax and take in the sun. The pool bar staff was great and you have to try the strawberry mojito!!! I know the place is new, so it should be clean, but it seemed that the staff was always cleaning and that just gave it the extra edge over other hotels I have stayed at. The location is awesome for older adults, as it was not as congested as the "main" area where it is crowded with young adults and noise. It is within walking distance to the mall area, which has great happy hour bars like Trulucks and the Blue Martini. The last night was a blur having hit the happy hour and we locked ourself out of the safe and had another minor martini related issue. I asked to speak to the GM Joel Darr, as I was embarrassed to ask staff for help. Within 5 minutes Joel came out of his office and spoke to me. He laughed the issue off and made me feel at home. Within 5 minutes staff came to room and solved our problem with a smile. I hated that we had to check out and due to our flight leaving later in the day we placed our items with the staff and were able to use the hotels amenities till we had to leave. I have stayed at area hotels in the past and I will look no further the next time in Lauderdale. Thanks Joel for a wonderful stay, you and your staff were the "B"-est!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

Dear Chitwood01,

Thank you very much for sharing such awesome comments about B Ocean Fort Lauderdale with the TripAdvisor community. I certainly remember you and hope your partner is feeling better now. While I appreciate the nice comments about me, I must say your points regarding our cleanliness and urgency of my staff makes me more proud. I look forward to your return and thank you for choosing to B Our Guest!