“Not as bad as others say”

Crossland Economy Studios - Fort Lauderdale - Commercial Blvd.
Ranked #124 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Ok, I'll admit, it's not the Hilton but not as bad as what others were saying. We stayed here for the BCS Championship game, and it wasn't bad at all. The room was clean, service was good, and it was close to everything. My only complaint was that Ft. Lauderdale and the Miami area SUCK. There was no police presence in either city for the pregame festivities with the exception of those that were actually at the stadium.These two cities are nothing but trash and beggars, and have NO business hosting a high profile event like this one. In fact, we were supposed to stay for 5 nights, but cut our trip short to 2 because of the lack of safety of the surrounding areas. My advice is, if you absolutely must go to one of these two cites, you may want to pack some protection with you...but the hotel itself was just great for the price!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 October 2008

I was meeting friends here who are from Spain. They had booked this on line from Spain -- and were truly disappointed and could not get out of the reservation. So I still joined them for 5 days of their stay in the states. The room was supposed to have maid service after 7 days --- never happened. One blanket had huge holes in it. There was a smell coming from the air vent in the bathroom -- solved that by crossing the street and buying some air freshener at the grocery store. Personnel at the desk were helpful -- but they seemed to have a different timetable for our needs than we did. Oh well -- just won't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank o2bnfr
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Me and my father stayed at this Crossland Suites for an over night because we were staying at a crappy motel 6 and decided to stay somewhere else. This hotel was better. We checked in and the lobby was real small but ok. We asked where the pool was and they said "Sorry, we don't have a pool but feel free to use the pond in the back" Hah, that pond was full of alligators and it was in the bushes. So we went up to our room (239) and it had 1 double bed and a small kitchenette, but only had 2 towels. So I went to ask the maid for some towels and was the most rudest person, she said "Go to the front desk and give them your dirty towels with an attitude", that was just ridiculous when had just arrived. So I went back to the room and just said forget about the towels, so we went to the Hard Rock Casino to use the pool. It is a fine hotel but it needs more things like a pool and a free breakfast. I would only stay again if I had to but there are other better hotels in the area!

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank JM11traveler
Reviewed 18 May 2008

After discovering from Priceline that this was going to be my hotel for a week, I looked up for reviews and started to get nervous. Reviews indicated that this hotel stay was going to be horrible. Turns out my stay wasn't bad at all. A few adjustments here and there and I didn't have any significant issues. The fact is I got the room for real cheap and I wasn't expecting much. At times there were really strong smoking fumes in the room, but I soon discovered that the fumes come from the bathroom ceiling vent. So turning on the vent fan and keeping the bathroom door closed solved that problem. No big deal. To eliminate the possibility of disrupting phone calls I just unplugged the phone during my whole stay. Once again; no big deal. The facility is located at a major traffic intersection so there is a lot of traffic noise coming from outside. All I did to eliminate that was run the air conditioning fan all night and it muffled it all out so I could sleep just fine (I'm a light sleeper). Everything else was just fine. The customer service was fine and I didn't have any trouble with anyone.

The community region where the hotel is located is a cuban/black community so if you're not comfortable with that you may feel nervous. No big deal for me. However, I AM a 24 year old male with a muscular stature so I don't feel threatened when I suddenly become a minority. I traveled alone, and relied entirely on the bus system to travel. Had I been in possession of a car, I would not have left my automobile in the parking lot. There is some evening noise from people in the parking lot during some nights, but I didn't have anything to worry about out there. Overall my stay was just fine. The rooms are all insulated well from one another and the only noise you ever hear is from people in the parking lot or the traffic. It's definitely a 1 star hotel but for the cheap price I got it I wouldn't expect anything fancy (when I say fancy I mean like a 2.5 star hotel). The place looks a bit intimidating at first because of the community, but if you keep to yourself you shouldn't have any trouble. I give this rating 3 stars because it's what I expected to get for what I paid. All I needed was a room with a fridge, microwave, bed, and bathroom. That's precisely what I got. I felt reasonably safe and secure there. I don't care that room service is only once a week. In fact, I kind of prefer that. If you need anything, you just get it from the front office. No big deal. I liked how there was a grocery store just on the other side of the intersection and the bus line runs right next to the hotel. It worked out perfect for me. If you're worried about your stay, don't be. I was at first after reading other reviews, but after being there for a day or so I soon realized there wouldn't be any problems for me during my stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank ToniPortray
Reviewed 24 January 2007

We got to the motel and went to check in. The 2 black women said check in wasn't until 3pm and to wait. We went outside, looked at the clock, and it was only 5 minutes till 3! They wouldn't let us go to our room 5 minutes early! So about 20 min. later we went back to check in and the 2 women said to hold on that they were busy. We waited for 10 min. at the counter and they were still too busy. All they were doing was looking at something on the computer! We decided to grab something to eat at Burger King which was really close by. My boyfriend ordered a sandwich. We got back to the hotel and he opened the sandwich and the workers had put the veggies and sauce on the sandwich, but no meat! There were black people everywhere and they were very racist and mean to us. So we finally went to check into the hotel again and it was about 4pm. The ladies were still busy and then finally when they had time to check us in, the lady started screaming "Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!" to us in a very rude manner! When we finally got to the room it was nice and there was a stove, mini fridge, and microwave there and it was clean, but it didn't make up for how terrible we were treated.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank BenniesBabe
Reviewed 9 January 2006

I had booked this hotel for a week with Priceline [ during Xmas}. I went to go check the place out. I would not stay there under any circumstances .Even though we had prepaid in full....no way. I had read the previous reviews and even called the hotel and was told "there have been problems here but I am the new manager and I would stay here." The staff were totally unprofessional. The elevator was not in good working order, the fire extinguisher case was smashed, the door lock was broken, garbage was everywhere, the floors were black and more. I even took pictures of yhe garbage. THe smoke smell in the elevator was totally disgusting. This place should be taken off Pricelines list and any other tourist puplication. I am going to fight for a refund and plan to get one. The room is so tiny that I would have preferred staying in a car. Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank gayle727
A TripAdvisor Member
tx
Reviewed 29 December 2005

The customer service was rude and not friendly. The rooms were supposed to be non smoking and they smell like cigratte. We had two rooms. The first one the toilet was backed up and the fire alarm was on the bed. We had problems getting in both rooms. They have no one at the front office after 11 pm because they are closed. I would never stay here again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member