“Good pre curise hotel”

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bay City, Michigan
“Good pre curise hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I searched all hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area prior to our Feb 14, 2012 cruise. Had it narrowed down to 3 and chose the Hampton Inn based on the positive reviews. We flew in a day early for our Valentine Cruise on the Carnival Miracle. I thought there was airport shuttle to the hotel but not. They have free shuttle back to the airport. So it was a 25.00 taxi ride for 4 of us including tip. The hotel lobby was very nice and open, looked very clean. Our check in was very speedy and Kelly was the most helpful person behind the counter. She gave us info on tours, places to see and go and places to eat at. There is a free downtown trolly that will pick you up and take you to downtown, about 6 blocks. You can walk too. We ate at the Cheesecake factory for lunch. For supper we walked 5 blocks to an Irish pub, Maguries Hill 16. Good Irish food and drink.
Keep aware of your surrounding at night. Nothing happened but was very deserted and dark.
The next morning we had the complementary breakfast. It was excellent. Lot's to choose from. Fresh fruits, hot and cold cereal, eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, make your own waffles, muffins. They even have a to go bag at the front desk for anyone unable to eat in. It had a bottle of water, and apple, Kellogg cereal bar, and a muffin.
The hit of the trip was the free shuttle to the cruise port. Our driver was the funniest guy in the world. We were cracking up the whole trip. We purchased the $10.00 return trip from Port everglades to the airport from the shuttle driver. Our cruise was a Tuesday departure, so we were the only ship leaving, so compared to the hectic Saturday and Sunday departure/arrivals, ours was very low key and easy.
If you are going on a cruise form Port Everglades, check out this Hampton Inn. We will use it again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor and had a good view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael K
Hampton_GMCityCenter, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL., responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank-You for taking the time to provide us with great feedback! We definitely have a wonderful staff that takes pride on ensuring each guest is happy. The Irish Pub is just a block or so from us which makes it an easy walk at any time of day. I hope you had a wonderful cruise and I look forward to seeing you on your next cruise and / or trip to Sunny South Florida!

Safe Travels,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bay City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

3 friends an I stayed 4 nights here before departing on cruise ship.. The hotel was beautiful, the room perfect for our needs, super clean, well appointed, very comfortable. But best of all was the very friendly staff at the front desk who made the stay even nicer. We were on the 4th floor, right next to door to parking structure, was very nice to park, enter, and there was our room. I'd stay here again if we travel to Ft Lauderdale again.

Room Tip: We liked 4th floor near where we parked.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darrell S
Hello Bay City -

Thank-You for sharing your experience... I am always thrilled to hear comments about how wonderful the staff is! Our staff takes each and every guests and treats each person as an individual and a VIP... allowing you to relax and enjoy your vacation! I do appreciate your comments about our housekeeping staff and room decor. One note that a lot of our past reviews have not mentions that you did is the fact that our secured parking garage allows guests to park n the floor our rooms are on ( up to the fourth floor ) allowing for ease with luggage. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Sunny South Florida!

Monticello, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We booked a one nite stay here through hotels.com with the understanding that our car could be left here while we were on a cruise. This was NOT the case. After talking with the desk clerk, Reinhart Schnieder, he was sincerely concerned about our problem. He did everything in his power to help resolve the problem. Our room was clean and we enjoyed the breafast the next morning. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thank-you for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize that Hotels.com did not have the correct information - I have taken steps to ensure that this communication gap has been corrected. However, I am delighted that my staff took great care of you and was able to resolve the parking error to your satisfaction and in a timely fashion! You are correct in saying that Reinhard is a great asset... he is just a pleasure to deal with and always ready to assist.

Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We had a one night stay here, the place was beautiful. My only concern was the neighbourhood. We took a Grey Hound from Orlando and ended up walking from the station to our hotel since the cab guys didn't want to drive us for a 2 minute ride. Which I can understand from there point of view, but walking through what looked like the ghetto with all our suite cases was not cool at all. It took us 10min to reach our hotel. We checked in no problems, the front desk staff were very friendly. We got to our 11th floor (I believe) room and the room was very nice and clean(and once again I love the how they change the comforter on top too, makes me feel better about sleeping in a strange bed). So we are settling in and all of a sudden we hear police sirens, no biggy. Until we keep hearing more and more and more. Probably 6-7 and two helicopters. Long story short, the area we had just waked by 5 min prior, there was a high speed chase that ended there and an officer shot the driver!! How crazy. We literally could have been caught in the cross fires if we would have been any slower in getting to our hotel. Totally insulated incident I'm sure (that's what the locals told us) but how crazy is that? So yes the location certainly could be better, but other than that I was pleased with our stay (the breakfast was good too)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sweet M
Thank-You for taking the time to share your experience. The hotel is located in a Downtown area that has a lot of colors if you will. The Greyhound station being a 10 minute walk is a tad more colorful than where we are located. The Hampton Inn Downtown City center is just a few blocks north of Trendy Las Olas a very hip hot spot for boutique shopping and restaurants with outdoor cafe's and a beautiful waterfront area, close to fortune 500 businesses and a $5.00 taxi ride to Fort Lauderdale Beach ... The hotel as you mentioned in beautiful and the staff is on point ready to please. I am delighted that you did have a wonderful time in Fort Lauderdale and loved the hotel...

Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale -
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Hotel and area:
This is a typical Hampton Inn, which means, by my experience, it is clean, well-run and pleasant. The area is empty at night as it is surrounded by office buildings and there are a fair number of "wanderers" at night in the area. However, property security is very good at the hotel, with locked parking levels (FREE!), room floor access only with room keys and actual security patrolling the property day and night.

It is a quick (20 minutes, on average) drive from the airport and it is easy to find. There are gas stations, at which to refuel, on the way back to the airport.
Within short drives (5-15 minutes) are:
Las Olas Boulevard
Galleria Mall
The Beach and Atlantic Ocean!

Check-in:
There is short term parking for check in and the check in process was quick and pleasant. As a Hilton Gold member I was given water but they were out of snacks so I was offered something from the pantry area; nice touch.

The room:
A "tropical theme" was in the room design and it made it fun. Colors of navy, lime green and yellow in mixed patterns reminded me that I was not "in Kansas anymore." New flat screen TVs have a good variety of programming and there is a fridge and microwave. The best addition is a safe that fits a 15" notebook computer.

The linens are typical Hampton and the beds comfortable. The desk chair needs some new padding but the separate roll out desk was nice for orienting myself by the window. (If you have to work in your hotel room while you're in Florida, in February, you may as well as see how nice it is outside.

The bathroom:
Clean, well lit, standard size. Magnifying mirror is a good addition. A full length mirror covers the closet door (right outside the bathroom) which is handy for getting ready.

Breakfast and pool:
How nice that this is a possible combination. The pool is right outside of the breakfast area and there are tables and chairs if you want to catch some fresh air before setting off on your day. There is no view, but any sparkling water is a plus. The breakfast is standard Hampton fare and a good way to start the day.

Check out:
Easy and quick! 'Nuff said.

Of note:
The hotel has recently converted their heating and air conditioning system and I could not get my room to cool down below 78º. It wasn't horrible but could be a real bother to others. I told them at check out and was informed of the issues...and offered another snack from the pantry for my ride to the airport.

If you don't have a car and are thinking of a beach vacation, this may not be the place. If you do have a car, it is a very good, reasonable, alternative to the oceanfront hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkWorld
Hello Maryland,

I must say, I think your response may just be one of my favorites! Very detailed and accurate too... We take pride in our property which clearly reflects in yours and many other reviews. I appreciate your comments and hope to see you on your next trip to Sunny South Florida!

ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We spend only a few hours here post cruise.Had a 10PM flight and didn't want to hang around the airport after getting off the cruise at 10am so this hotel was the only one with vacancies at short notice.We didn't feel safe walking in the area and as there wasn't a restaurant on site we ordered in food for lunch and dinner.Had to use room key on the outside doors and in elevator so I felt safe in the hotel. The coffee/tea station in lobby was well stocked and there was a fridge, coffee maker, microwave in the room to store and heat up our food.The bed was very comfortable and clean!They wash the comforters with each guest so that was the first time I didn't remove it from the bed before sleeping. Got caught up with my emails at the computer room, internet was fast and free.A shuttle was available to airport for a small fee and they had fresh warm cookies at the desk when we were checking out. Had a very relaxing few hours before heading home.They have breakfast in morning apparently but didn't spend the night so cant comment .Only complaint is having to pay full price for the room for 8 hours but they did get us into our room by 11am which we appreciated.Would stay here again .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Fort Lauderdale!

Thank-You for sharing your experience with us - I appreciate hearing feedback especially from a guests point of view. You are correct in saying that our rooms are clean and well appointed. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure that each and every aspect of the room is cleaned and then inspected twice for consistency and high standards set by ownership. Thank-You so very much for your business and loyalty! I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale!
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a averge Hampton Inn that is great if you need to stay in downtown or are just staying one night before you disembark for a cruise. It has a parking ramp so you do not have to worry about parking. Restaurants and clubs are a cab or long walk away. The location was quite except for a train track a short distance away. Large breakfest area with the standard eggs, bacon, waffles, etc. I recommend this hotel for a non beach location if the price is right.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank-You for taking time out of your schedule to share your experience with us. I am delighted that you had a great experience at our hotel. Our breakfast area is quite extensive and only going to grow in the next few month as we are adding a full bar with food options in the evening. Needless to say, next time you are in the area we will have even more to offer you!

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future,