“Very Expensive and not worth it.”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very Expensive and not worth it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We needed a last minute reservation and found the Hilton suites in Ft. Lauderdale. My husband is an "honors" member, but that didn't seem to give us anything extra. The room was very expensive, but there were few other options available. I am very familiar with Ft. Lauderdale as I have been travelling there annually for 40 years.

The room had an interesting layout. A half bath, kitchenette, small living room, small bedroom and large full bath. The balcony was long but at an angle so there was little ocean view. Also because the room was on the North side of the building there was never any sun on the balcony. There were no untensils or plates in the kitchen, you had to call and request those.

First impression was that the room was not cleaned thoroughly. The furniture was worn and torn in places. Several of the power outlets were not working. The half bath had hair on the floor. The curtains did not work well and had parts missing. The refrigerator made a horrible noise on an hourly basis which wasn't a big deal until it happened through the night. Even with the bedroom door shut is was still loud. It was not the ice maker.

One of the four elevators was out of service and often I had to wait for several cars to pass my floor because they were too full. Obviously a very busy time, so not a good time to have a non-working elevator.

The pool and dining room were on the 6th floor. At the pool there were not enough towels (I asked 4 times) and I was never approached by the pool staff for food or drink. There was a small coffee bar/carryout on the first floor but it was terribly busy all the time. I ordered room service and the wine had turned to vinegar.

There was valet only parking at $31 a day and the staff was nice, but it felt too nice because they had their hands out every time I needed access to my car. At $31 a day I was not inclined to tip every single time. Once they lost the car and it took about 1/2 an hour for them to locate it.

Upon check out I reported all of the above to the young lady who said "I'm so sorry, we try to make sure out guests are happy." She did not offer any refund of the bad wine or of anything for that matter. I was so unhappy I left early and was charged the extra reservation day anyway. So in a way this review is my only recourse. If you plan to spend time in Ft. Lauderdale I would avoid this Hilton property.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1r2ns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The property was nice and very clean. Staff was friendly and ready to help. Our 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite on the 18th floor (1818) was ocean front and had a fabulous view of the ocean from every spot in the suite, including the bathroom :) and a huge wrap around balcony. The hotel pool and the pool deck was fairly busy. The pool cabanas are nice but there is a rental fee of 95$/day
Market Cafe was good for snacks.
Our suite had a nice size kitchen with all the appliances, but there was nothing else - it was empty, no utensils, plates, not even a wine glass. I imagine everything was locked up in the 'owner's closet'.
The hotel is within a walking distance to many restaurants/bars/shops.
There is also a Sun Trolley stop very close to the hotel (the bus stop is in front of W hotel). They have different routes. We took a trolley to Las Olas. The fare is 50¢ per person. The trolley will drop you off anywhere along the route. Just wave and ride :)
Overall, the hotel is very nice and we would stay there again but I wouldn't call it Beach Resort.

2 Thank Renia_65
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel has ups and downs but definitely more downs then anything. Cleaning service is unpredictable and is not the most efficient. They forget towels for rooms and if asked to come later, they won't come back at all. Pool and hottubs are always dirty and full of sand. Restaurant has a small menu to choose from but a good continental breakfast. Valet and help is very well established and they are always willing to help. Rooms as well were unequiped with utensils and cups.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor with a ocean view. You love the sights you'll see
3 Thank Ryan R
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Note... All the hotels on this stretch of road are across the road from the beach. This is not a "walk right out on the beach" type of hotel. *** Hotel only have valet parking as well so be prepared.

Hosted a business meeting at the hotel in February for a couple of days. Was upgraded to a suite with a kitchen at the back side of the hotel. Had a great view of the inter coastal from the back and a nice view of the W hotel and ocean on the other side of the balcony. Room / bathroom and kitchen area were spotless. Ran low on coffee supplies once and the staff was quick to help me out. (It's always the little things)

Food for meeting was fantastic, presentation was wonderful and there was always someone close by to check in on our group for anything we needed.

Slight downside.. gets a little quiet at the hotel in the evening. There are numerous restaurants and bars within walking distance if you want to go for something different.

Room Tip: Check the room tip section for this hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Washington, DC.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

As I expected, my five days at the Hilton Resort perfected my Christmas break. Of course, the swimming pool was overcrowded with kids and seats at the beach were a little hard to find, but the hotel overall was the classic urban-Floridian experience. The hotel's restaurant, located near the pool, served oustanding pasta, even when I customized the order. The beach was great, and my view from the suite captured the beach and the city skyline at the same time. The hotel is also within range of two amazing restaurants, Steak 954 and Via Luna at the Ritz Carlton.

My favorite part was the coffee at Le Marche, a cafe' in the hotel located near the beach. The cafe had outstanding service, and was quick to serve you, even when you were waiting in a long line.

However, I did have a few concerns with the hotel. The breakfast area has no windows and a gloomy atmosphere. Once, we recieved constant poor service from one of the waitresses, and unenthusiastic service from the receptionist.

Still, overall, the hotel was great.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GoldPerson
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I spent three nights here a few weeks ago as part of a business trip, and I have to say that this was one of my most pleasant hotel experiences in a while. The quality of service was very high, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the breakfasts were fantastic.

In addition, you are right on the beach - perfect for an early-morning jetlag-busting run.

Thanks for a great stay. I will be back here again next time I am in town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChrisUKinHanoi
Central Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We just came home from an extended weekend celebrating our mother's 80th birthday. We had a blast! We mentioned her birthday at the front desk and they sent up complimentary chocolate-covered strawberries plus gave us 4 complementary buffet tickets for 2 (8 breakfasts total!!). We had 2 connecting kitchen suites and it was like we had a huge condo. The rooms had a few "worn spots" but was absolutely beautiful! Like other postings have stated, the southern-facing rooms are the best because you get sunshine throughout the day on the balcony plus great views of the ocean and inland waterways. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Very fresh food and great selection. We rented a poolside cabana for a day. VERY reasonable price of $95 per day and the attendant was wonderful! The location is great if you want to be away from the spring break crowd. It's close enough to walk to the shops, restaurants and bars but you don't have a lot of drunk people all over the place! We rented a van for the day and drove down to the keys. On Sunday, the bell hop desk arranged for the rental company to pick us up and they dropped us off as well (very nice since I couldn't find any other car rental company open on Sunday). The concierge recommended a restaurant that we could walk to and she made reservations for us which was very nice. The Casablanca Cafe was fabulous, the food was GREAT at a very reasonable price.
Loved this hotel and Fort Lauderdale beach. We will return and we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Southern-facing rooms get the most sun throughout the day. Suites with a kitchen save money especial...