“A mixed experience - would not return.”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #67 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was traveling with a friend and we stayed in a "spectacular" room at the W with a balcony overlooking both the beach and the Intracoastal. The room and the amenities in the room were very nice. We took advantage of and enjoyed the beach boot camp and yoga. The fitness center was surprisingly lacking in cardio equipment with only one working elliptical machine.

As this was a vacation, we had questions for the concierge. At first, it was a substitute concierge so we were at least somewhat understanding about his apparent lack of mastery with regard to information about the area. When the actual concierge returned, we remained unimpressed. We asked about the downtown mural project in Hollywood (a city neighboring Ft. Lauderdale) and he not only had not heard of it, he did not offer to print up the map that I was able to load onto the small screen of my iPhone.

We did not enjoy the Happy Hour at the Living Room as the music was a little loud for our taste.

We had a lovely Sunday Brunch at Steak 954 (the in-hotel restaurant) but were shocked to find that a side order of asparagus cost $12. Finally, it was appalling to me that they wanted $40/hour to use the computers in their business center - that was regardless of whether you wanted to use the internet or not.

I would not stay here again. I would look at the Hilton up the street. There are five or six upscale hotels on that stretch of A1A. I would want to look at all of them more carefully if I was going back.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank MJBSLC
Welcome T C, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello MJBSLC,

Hoping all is well.

We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the ocean-intercostal views from your guest room, and our sunrise beach boot camp and yoga classes. We are sorry to hear that some aspects (ie. FIT, the Living Room and concierge service) of your stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our Guest Experience Team, and we do hope you will allow us another chance in the future to provide you with a memorable experience.

Brian P.
Welcome TC

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Please note that I personally shared these experiences with the Hotel with the hopes that some of them if not all of them will be addressed for future hotel guests to have a wonderful experiences as $300 a night plus parking fees deserves more..
Let me first start by saying personally... this is NOT a child friendly hotel. I was at this hotel for a conference for 4 days and it still was pretty pricey. I am truly not seeing where they did the renovations. My hotel room had horrible lighting. The bathroom had no makeup mirror and no lighting .... Yikes. The bathroom sink was dirty and looked old with very little counter space. There was a total lack of drawer or counter space. The one set of drawers in the closet oddly was very cheap and flimsy. I would compare it to a put together drawer you got at Office Depot for $49. The door stopper was killing me each time I went into the closet. Why would you put a stainless steel door stopper sticking up from the floor in front of the closet door? I almost broke my toe. Even the physical doors to the closet were very dated. I couldn't lock the sliding doors two the balcony and they offered two forms of locks. Nothing felt or looked new to me. Housekeeping never once removed any of the dirty wine glasses each day even after I paid the $5 tip each day. They only way to get a bucket of Ice is to call room service and of course pay the tip for the delivery. Now, they did take the bucket away each day. Hummmm... The phones were dirty and had makeup on the keypad area. The experience had me questioning how clean everything was, especially with the Flu epidemic we are experiencing. The phones were old and did not work most of the time and when they did, they continually rang busy under all the options, except room service. I either had to call on my cell phone to get someone or go thru the room service button and have them transfer me. When they gave me my wake up call in the morning they called 3 times repeatedly before I could finally get the stupid phone to physically let me answer it... Ugh. I felt tortured. The terrace area where we had some of our outdoor events had no lighting and we couldn't see each other after 6 pm. Why have an outdoor area with no lighting? We went to the Lounge Area after dinner our last night. They had a DJ playing music.. ok that was nice. YAY!! Well, we were being harassed by ladies wanting us to dance with them and kept putting their shaking butts in our presence, and after watching them and realizing, I had to finally go and ask for a manager that called security when they didn't stop trying to interact with our group. The security guard was not concerned and had asked me if I had ever stayed at a W before. What?? Now I was even more nervous when I realized I had to share my bathroom with men. The Lounge area only has one bathroom for both men and women. We all enter the bathroom and men walk down one side once you walk in he bathroom and the women walk down the other side hall of the bathroom and we all wash our hands together. Sorry, I personally do not want to go to the bathroom with my executives. Yikes... I must say the food we had during the conference was really good and well managed. The food I had in my room was just OK and very limited with a dirty menu, but the french fries tasted like fish. Management did tell me they come from two separate kitchens. Hummmm...
I think someone was laughing all the way to the bank on this $60 Million Dollar Renovation. I did share with management that if they could convince me that they have made corrections I would consider coming back but not until things get fixed. The 3rd party steak restaurant downstairs was excellent.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Karen B
TeamMarriott, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Karen B,

Thank you for kindly taking the time to share your experience on from your recent stay. We are disappointed to learn of the shortcomings you experienced and would like to take this time to express our apologies. We appreciate your feedback regarding the room design elements and have shared this with our Guest Experience team. Regarding the service opportunities, this is certainly not typical at our hotel, and we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention so we can take the necessary steps to ensure such inconsistencies are isolated. Once more, thank you for your review, and we hope to make it up to you on a future stay.

All the Best,

Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very annoying for older travelers that expert comfort and good lighting vs looking hip. Rooms are nice but not enough lighting and bathroom counter space. Curtain for a door. Clear and frosted glass for wall. Turn the light on and it wakes your roommate up in the middle of the night. Tub did not have any type of hand rail.

Service was good, friendly. I guess it is just an age thing.

Stayed: January 2018
2  Thank Wayne P

Hello Wayne P,

Hoping all is well.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your most recent stay did not meet your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our Guest Experience Team, and we do hope you will allow us to provide a memorable experience next time your travels bring you to the Fort Lauderdale area.

Brian P.
Welcome TC

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Love the views from (most) of the rooms here! Definitely gives you that feeling of being on the beach. Used to be a great place for platinum members to use some points, but the upgrades are not as good as they used to be, and the ever increasing resort fee is a complete scam. This hotel is still an OK value with cash & points, but I can't imagine why anyone would pay full price here (especially with that worthless resort fee).

On the plus side, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet and the views are great from the higher floors.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Eric B
Haley D, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Eric B,

Thank you for your loyalty to SPG and W Hotels. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear how much you enjoy the sweeping ocean views from guest rooms. Our daily resort fee includes amenities valued at over $150 including two beach chairs and 1 umbrella, complimentary bottled of water for the beach, complimentary cocktail in the Living Room, daily fitness class (beach bootcamp or sunrise yoga), two four-hour bicycle rentals and in-room high speed WiFi. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Enjoyed our time at the W Hotel. Fantastic pool area. Lovely steak house on the premises, great location, easy walking distance to several restaurants and shops. We will definitely reside at the W Hotel again when in Lauderdale.

Stayed: May 2017
Haley D, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello RJB1215,

Thank you for your review. Our central location in vibrant Fort Lauderdale gives you exclusive access to all the area's most popular restaurants & shopping. We're so excited to welcome you back the next time you're in Fort Lauderdale!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriends and I stayed here for a friends special birthday trip and were all disappointed. When we checked in, the key maker broke which meant that none of us could get into our rooms (not their fault but they did not handle it well and caused much confusion). We had all requested to be on the same floor to be near each other (11 of us, some sharing rooms). When I checked in, the agent changed my room to be near my friends, however when I went to pick up my key card, on 2 separate occasions, I was taken to a room on a different floor. When I was heading to my room a bellman came out of the elevator, he was on his phone, did not hold the doors for me and my hands were full of baggage, etc. the elevator doors shut, I dropped a bag and he kept walking by.

I ordered a cheeseburger at the pool and received a sad, small,two patties burger that was probably 6 ounces, it came without the cheese, and it was cold. It cost $18. Our drinks took 45 minutes to arrive. We finally gave up on our 2nd round and went to the bar where we saw our server on her phone and joking with the other servers at which time she saw us and said, “I have your drinks right here. I was letting the rain die down some.” We braved the rain to get them and it’s not our job, plus automatic gratuity was added because we were a party over 5 people.

That evening we met in the ‘Living Room’ for cocktails before dinner. The bar was not busy, there may have been 5 people at the bar and 3 bartenders. Clearly this bartender had an issue multi-tasking as I was standing next to a current guest that he addressed, served an additional drink, handed and processed the check, all without acknowledging that I was standing there. Conversely, I stepped down a few feet and there was a female bartender who acknowledged me directly while finishing another guests drink! Saw her a couple of times while staying and she was great!

The rooms while spacious, had little closet room. They were so cramped that there was no where to hang a dress. The bathrooms did not have an outside door, so if you had a roomie, you better be close! There was also mold in the shower. I’m not sure they actually scrub.

The room service server was excellent!

I expected a lot more from this property.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank apewine

Hello apewine,

Thank you for your review. Our talent is here 24/7 to provide our signature Whatever/Whenever service, and we are sorry to hear that your most recent stay did not meet those expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our Guest Experience Team, and do hope you will allow us another chance in the future to provide you with an unmistakable stay.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The customers service was outstanding with Evan's and the insider. Thank you my son enjoyed his birthday. When I arrived at the hotel you had about 4 valet parking attendant and not one of them offered to bring all my luggages up to my room. They watch me unload then ask for my keys. Other then that Evans went above and beyond to make sure everything was good with my stay. The view and the room the amenities everything is just great.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicia S

Hello Alicia S,

Thank you for sharing your incredible feedback with us! We're honored you chose to spend your son's birthday at W Fort Lauderdale and are happy to hear what an amazing time you had. We will certainly pass along the kudos to Evans for ensuring an elevated stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.