“Beautiful setting right on the ocean....TERRIBLE condition inside.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Manor Resort Hotel

Ocean Manor Resort Hotel
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Spotsylvania, Virginia
“Beautiful setting right on the ocean....TERRIBLE condition inside.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed here because it was offered as to us through a timeshare before our cruise. Stay away if you want nice amenities within the room itself.

We had read all the reviews here on tripadvisor...so we somewhat knew what to expect. We can now understand the negative reviews: Our room was unbelievably outdated. Furniture must have been 30 years old (front fell off several drawers, torn draperies, a HUGE upholstered chair that neither my husband or I dared sit in). We had NO towels at all when we arrived, but a quick call to the front desk and a very nice man from housekeeping brought up more than we needed for the two days that we spent here. Towels did look like they were about 20 yrs old.

The bed was horrific. Neither my husband nor I slept the first night. It squeaked and leaned dramatically if either one of us moved.

The lobby looks like it has had major renovation. A slick silver "art deco" sort of look. The front desk people were very nice and do seem to want to make up for knowing what the clients will encounter when they see the rooms.

We had vouchers for meals here, which was a big draw for accepting the two-night stay. The Tiki bar is very good...good food and nice atmosphere. The staff was great at getting the most out of our vouchers.

I would not stay here again. It does have real potential but the powers-that-be need to make some major changes to the interior because then, and only then, would I be able to take advantage of the water location that sadly gets downplayed because of the awful image of the interior of this hotel.

Room Tip: Only a view of the ocean would be acceptable to compensate for the terrible rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Annie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Best hotel I've ever stayed in! Come here for spring break! Tiki bar is so fun!! Owner is sooo hott :)

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Kdho226
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Pictures on the internet will fool you for this horrific property. All of the penthouse suites are damaged beyond repair apparently from wild parties they often hold. This hotel has a great deal of potential BUT there has been little to no new investment on the hotel side. Little things like decent furniture would help things dramatically instead they furnished the rooms with chairs and tables that are completely destroyed or duct taped. Our kitchenette never had anything that worked, a microwave with the face torn off it, lots of forks and no tea spoons, knives or glassware. This was a nightmare beyond belief. It appears they have concentrated efforts toward the condominium side of things and left the hotel to wrought. Please don't be fooled like I was, it becomes too costly to move during what is supposed to be a vacation. The manager also knows he is renting a dump. He appears to be well versed in every excuse in the book as to why the property is so bad.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Les0ps
Manchester Township, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

When I read that headline,I might think about going back to this Hotel. After my last review received over 3000 hits, I'm still learning how to play the hotel "smoke&mirrors" game!My reserved shuttle never showed up at the airport. I called three times getting, we'll be there 20min then40min.1 hour later,I called,they told me to take a cab it might be cheeper!!!..STRIKE 1!At the hotel,they told me my 1 rm w/2 bds bch view no balcony was ready.I paid for 2 rms,bch front,balcony!I was a party of 3...STRIKE 2!!They gave me a 2 bdrm suite w/view of a parking lot&workmen,no balcony or bch front!My daughter killed a roach(they later sprayed),hallway smelled like vinegar,my door didn't lock from hallway.They told me to hook the loop across the bar from the inside.My back hurt due to the dip in the bed.Had my agent call them to change my dirty room. They gave me 2 rms one w/balcony bch view-and one w/bch front,no balcony and told me to choose.While my daughter and friend went to get a car,I had to carry their bags and mine to the 2 new rooms on different floors..I'm 60! They did not offer to carry one bag!!!,I made 5 trips!STRIKE 3! My tub was beyond dirty,rusted fixtures rm 218..a joke!Steven King couldn't make this up. I stayed in hotels in 3rd world countries that looked better than this. In the elevator,one guy was yelling,wanting to leave..I smiled at him and said"trouble w/your room?". He said dirtiest rm he'd ever seen and wanted out..ocean front Penthouse!Again,I did my homework but they threw me too many curveballs and I struck out on this one!!They should have paid me to stay there,I would have given them a better deal than they gave me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank Montel38
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Potential firetrap. They have a famouse tiki bar and beautiful restaurant which attracts the locals and sells their website. Above the first floor it is a shock. Many of the rooms have gone into decay as part of this 60 year old hotel is condo owners who can no longer affort to upkeep. Sinks backed up, no basics, broken or no hairdryer. Was unusually cold during my stay, no heat, no blankets. Dirty and disgusting. German tourists who had been in flight for 24 hours with small families were checking out within the hour. The front desk would not sign off on anything and their printer did not work so no receipts could be given. Nobody knew what they had been charged or if their credit card was credited back.They like to charge your whole stay upfront with a security deposit. Parts of the hotel have been updated nicely, but a total crapshoot what you get and if your hotel room has even been cleaned before you check in even late in the day. Young couple got engaged the night before but fled the next morning. Shouting matches at the front desk and threat of police being called in by office staff. I intervened and suggested they should call the police and they backed off. To all the European tourists I told them to note the hotel on Trip Advisor. This hole is potentially overdue to be condemned, the authorities should be called in. The maintenance and housekeeping the next day were very kind and accommodating, however they are off shift by the dinner hour. Godspeed to anyone who is lured by cheaper rates in this area.

Room Tip: In this area go for the bigger name hotels, much of the area is decaying however they maintain the o...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank BookCritic
Boynton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

When the valet pulled up to bring our car around in the morning of our departure, it was smashed. It had been moved from the original parking spot, which means the valet obviously took it out for a joyride and smashed it up- it is a really expensive sports car. No management could be "found" and there was no one who would speak to us. The valet and hotel both refused all responsibility and when I requested video they refused. This is a subpar hotel and extremely unprofessional. My night in this disgusting hotel cost me over $4000.00 BEWARE! Not to mention the rooms are very old and the rooms and hallways smell like old mildew.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank wendycee7
Wichita ks.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Upon arriving at 11:00 a.m. to get a room, was advised that check in time wasn't until 3:00. They offered to take our luggage behind the desk, and we told them we would go eat lunch and buy a couple of souvenirs, and come back. Arriving back at 1;30 p.m. was told our room still wasn't ready, I asked if they were working on it yet, and the staff told me they wouldn't be ready until 3:00, and I said, I know, but you know we are here, can they get to working on it now, and the gal said, they won';t be ready until 3:00, so, took up a seat in the lobby and finally at 2:55, the lady said our room was ready. After waking up at 2:00 a.m. as the bed was bothering my wife's back, so nobody was sleeping at this point, I got up to go to the bathroom, and noticed 3 cockroaches scurrying around on the walls and floor. At this point it was lights on in the bedroom, a quick bedbug check, and moved all the clothing, and toiletries out of the bathroom, and stacked stuff on top of luggage. The pergo flooring is uneven and coming apart, the door is coming off the hinges, and has to be lifted to shut, and the room vent is very dirty, so you get a general idea of the room. Anywhere I pay a hundred bucks a room usually gets a clean and decent nights stay with pretty good service, however, not at this place. Next trip to a new area, I suggest check the reviews before booking a place in a new area. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: This was a fourth floor room, that appeared flooded at one time or another, but maybe it was the hum...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple