“Decent for the price”

Ranked #47 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Rochester, New York
“Decent for the price”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Good service and decent rooms. It was somewhat annoying to be charged $10 for breakfast when other bargain chains include it in the room price. I like that the hotel is well located near the beach.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank mikeyw17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My partner and I arrived at the Courtyard by Marriott - Fort Lauderdale East on saturday, 14th April 2012.

We checked into the hotel after having a few issues at the front desk re: the monies that would be deducted each day from my Barclays Bank current account. I was told that it is "Marriott Policy" to deduct US$20 PER DAY for sundries. A policy that was in no way detailed in the booking information. I booked via Expedia and read the details VERY carefully. I said that this was VERY unusual practice. I DO understand completely the practice of a hotel registering ones credit card details in case of sundries BUT to ACTUALLY deduct monies each day off of the card is something completely unheard of in my experience as a world traveller. I was asked with whom I made the booking. I said Expedia, the front office woman said, "Oh well they may not have stated it..."; My response was, "You know that people are booking through 3rd, 4th, 5th party websites, hence you should ensure that ALL of the necessary policies are clearly outlined. Especially one such as this, which you seem so adamant about!"

After much discussion, the front desk woman allocated room 316 to us.

I asked to check the room before accepting it. We left our baggage in the office located at the back of the front dest whilst we went to check the room.

On the surface, at least, the room looked okay apart from the obvious fact that the carpet needed to be vaccumed. The front desk woman said she would send someone up to do this. Circa 15 minutes later, a man came to the room and vaccumed the carpet. About 15 mins after that, my partner and I decided to go to Publix supermarket and Best Buy to purchase some supplies and a sim card. I placed valuable items from my HANDBAG in the safe BUT did not remember to place my camera in the safe as it was in my suitcase. We did not return back to the hotel until minutes past 10pm.

On sunday, 15th April 2012 my partner and I decided to unpack our belongings and sort through our goods. At first, it was my partner who noticed that his Jaguar cologne was missing. All that was left was the silver lid. The Jaguar cologne - large flask size, in a distinctive blue bottle - costs circa US$105. I continued to check through my suitcase and discovered that my Sony camera model no.: Sony Cybershot 12.1 mega digital camera was missing. However, the charger (which I had placed in a separate compartment) was still there. The current cost of this camera and the camera case is (please click on link: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW200-Digital-Optical/dp/B000M4MLSS) = US$699.95 + US$8.39 = US$708.34

We were both, and indeed still are, completely distraught by this! I am more distraught by the fact that the camera has my personal photos of family and friends.

To top it all off, azs if things could not get any worse...the toilet was incapable of digesting ordinary waste. We requested a plunger; which had to remain in the bathroom for the duration of our stay.

Would I recommend this hotel? Do I need to say...HELL NO!!!

Room Tip: If you do decide to go to this hotel, PLEASE ensure to use the SAFE IMMEDIATELY on entering and do N...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle C
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Michelle C,
I understand it can be very unsettling to lose family photos and valuable items and am truly sorry for your experience. I appreciate you contacting me directly after your week-long stay with us, since we take these matters very seriously. Immediately after our conversation, we read the room locks and the record showed that there was no unauthorized entry from the time of your arrival until the housekeeper cleaned the room at 3pm the following day. As discussed over the phone, I recommended you report the situation to the Fort Lauderdale Police Department and offered to assist you in that process. We have received your letter detailing the incident and have forwarded to our headquarters for review. The response will be sent to your e-mail, for privacy matters.
I apologize for the confusion upon check-in regarding the additional authorization of funds. It is common practice for hotels to authorize a determined additional amount on credit cards upon arrival to cover incidental charges. This is the same process with debit cards, but in this case it engages the funds, until the hold is released a few days later. This is why we notify our guests in advance during the check-in process. In this particular case, when our Front Desk Manager called your bank internationally, she was informed that they did not have a hold on your debit card for additional funds.
Your observations were also shared with our Housekeeping Team and appropriate disciplinary action was taken. Please forgive us for providing you with a sleeping room that was less than perfect.
Kindest regards,
Rob Lewis, General Manager
Naples, FL
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The team who helped us were all very friendly and helpful, from reservations thru checkin (Ann Marie especially wonderful) and checkout. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Excellent choice for lodgings!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We always try to stay in Marriott hotels as we have Marrriott reward points. The price on this one wasn't too bad for this time of year (April) - it was $110 plus tax but that didn't include breakfast. They did have coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby. The personnel were nice but we didn't feel that the hotel was up to usual Courtyard standards. Not a great location - corner of U.S. 1 and Commercial but it was handy as we were visiting family who were staying at the Wyndham Palm Aire.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are a little quieter - we requested a two queen bed room but took a single qu...
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I used this hotel as the host hotel for my wedding in April. For the area it was in and the proximity to the beach, it was affordable and convenient. My guests were very pleased with their rooms and they thoroughly enjoyed the hot breakfast!! The staff was very courteous and the facility was very clean. Brea Strager was the absolute best person to work with in the midst of wedding chaos and I have no regrets about my decision!

1 Thank LarrP
NYC
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Although we were told by the hotel that the serious Internet problem they have will be fixed soon, I am convinced that my email account was hacked while staying there. I was able to get on their wi-fi Internet for short periods of time, after multiple attempts each time. We did notify hotel of problem and they were aware of it. The hotel was the only place that my account could have been hacked - all the entries in my address list were sent an email from a hacker.

Other than the Internet problem, I really liked the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ilsro
San Rafael
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Close to the airport - near great restaurants - staff great.