“Great stay, would stay pre-cruise again!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I landed in Ft Lauderdale airport around 9am on Saturday the 8th. It took a few minutes to deplane and get my bag from baggage claim. When I went to get a taxi, the driver refused to take me, insisting that there was a free shuttle provided by ES. I knew there wasn’t, however I called the hotel to confirm. I was correct, there is NO free shuttle to the ES. I got in the next taxi and off I went. Fare was $15 + tip. It took no more than 10 minutes to get there.

The hotel was nice. I got there around 9:30am and checked in. My room wasn’t ready, however the lady at the desk said I could drop my bags and head to the pool for a while, which I did. The pool area was great. Plenty of sunny and shady areas to relax. The pool deck has a few tiers to it, and there are areas away from the pool that are more private. She took my cell # and offered to call me when a room became available. She called me about a half hour later and I got room 1007. I was hoping for a port view room, but I opted to take the first available room instead. This room faced the main road, and during the day it was busy, but it did quiet down at night. If you are a light sleeper to do recommend that you request a room that is not on the main road. I sleep with earplugs, and since I was up at 3 that morning to head to the airport, sleep came very easy to me!

The room itself was clean. It had a fridge and microwave, and the living room area had a couch and a chair. There was a table and tv in there too. The bathroom was off the bedroom, and there was a tv in the bedroom as well.

Breakfast in the morning was good. I got down there about 8:45. When you check in they give you a card that says you have to hand it in for breakfast. When I went down on Sunday there wasn’t anyone asking for cards, so if you get there early enough the day before, you may be able to grab a bite then as well. Anyway, they had cook to order omlettes, but the line was long and I wanted to get to the port. I went to the precooked side and got eggs, bacon, etc. It wasn’t anything special, but it did the job.

I really liked the location. If it's a rainy day or if you need any essentials, or just don't want to be landlocked at your hotel, there are plenty of food options and shopping in the area. The grocery store (Publix) in the mall behind the hotel (look on google maps satellite image to see where you have to go) had a great deli that made sandwiches to order. There is a Ross clothing store in the strip mall across the street, as well as some nail salons and other stores in the area. Anyone that needs an ATM: there is a TD Bank directly across the street at the crosswalk. Speaking of the crosswalk....the hotel is on a busy road. I was a little concerned how crossing the street would be. It was no problem, the crosswalk gave you PLENTY of time to get across without rushing, so don't worry. Lots of people were out and about on that road crossing, so it's not scary or dangerous.

Room Tip: Choose a room off the main road due to noise......better yet choose a port facing room to watch the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,325)

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Arriving early from our cruise we were of course told we would have to wait for our room. The bellman checked our luggage for the day so we could roam. The grounds and lobby are beautiful but the room could have used some updating. We were able to check in 3 hours later and were met by the housekeeper who informed us the prior night the occupant had said he smoked on the balcony so we were delayed in getting our room until she could air it out. The room smelled. She asked permission to spray a room deodorant and it helped to some extent. We kept the doors open for several hours - no privacy. Maintenance showed up later and used an ionizer while we were out to dinner. The room still smelled. On check out, the desk person tells us we were put on a smoking floor in a smoking room and should have been informed of that. In the end, she waived our bill (over $200.00) and that was acceptable to us. We had made our reservations months in advance and arrived 4 hours before check-in so I do not understand why we were given this room in the first place.
The breakfast was top notch. The evening reception is very nice. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The hotel was full of college kids for some kind of a tournament but the hotel was still quiet. Location is fabulous. You could almost walk to the cruiseport. A large mall was behind us and restaurants were everywhere! We were a $6.00 taxi ride from the port and the hotel had a shuttle to the airport for $21. (that may have been $7.per person)

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Perfect hotel prior to cruise; hosted bar during manager's happy hour; beautiful lobby and patio area; everyone was friendly and helpful; room was perfect; will absolutely stay there again whenever we cruise out of ft. lauderdale.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I was with a "Travel with Alan" group; following disembarkation from a cruise. Hotel was beautiful and very nicely appointed. Manager Reception "snacks' poor (popcorn, crackers and potato chips) but who's complaining with free drinks! Complimentary "cooked to order" breakfast very good. Area where served a bit congested but manageable. Will keep this hotel and chain on my "go-to" list.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

So glad I picked this hotel. It is similar in price to other Hiltons in Ft Lauderdale but so much nicer. We had a two room suite with a small balcony, free drinks during Happy Hour, and free hot breakfast. Very nice atmosphere and beautiful lobby. Here is a photo I took from the third floor. Only downer was no free airport shuttle but it was only $7 per person. Well worth what we paid. Around the corner and behind the hotel was a huge plaza with a Publix where we picked up those last minute items we needed before our cruise. Nice restaurant behind the hotel also. Next time I will go a few days early to explore more.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I had a group of 25 staying at this hotel. It was convenient to the cruise, Lovely staff, pretty hotel and gorgeous pool area. Very convenient to stores behind the hotel to get some things prior to boarding, and many restaurants, although we went to TOm Jenkins BBQ as we love it and to The Old Heidleberg Inn, many also went over to the Irish Pub across the street and loved it although it was always PACKED. The breakfast in our hotel was good as always but it was so crowded and so hard to find a table to sit and the fruit and tht area were not replenished fast enough. had to wait 10 + minutes in line just to order the eggs, But everything was good. The price to park though is way to High $20 a night, then come to find out some got it removed off their bill. But hotel was clean and lovely and I would stay again if the price was right

Room Tip: I like it near the elevator, or ask to have a view of the Port
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale one night before boarding a cruise ship. The hotel is conveniently located to the cruise terminals, shopping (Ross and restaurants are across the street from the Embassy and the a grocery store, Five Guys, and other restaurants and stores are located to the side and rear of the Embassy.

The Embassy is in need of facelift and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Eat before you attend the 5:30 to 7:30 PM, 7-day a week Evening Manager's Reception, you'll get plenty of drinks, but for as far as food you'll only receive chips and salsa, potato chips, and pretzels. The line starts early and depending who's serving up drinks will determine how long you're in line.

The breakfast was included in my price. Choice of omelet (made to order), scrambled eggs, bacon, hot and cold cereal, fresh fruit (cut and whole), beverages (milk, tea, juice).

The cost to go to the cruise terminals was $7 per person and took all of 5 minutes!

I would definitely stay at The Embassy again.

I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room was around the corner from the elevator and the only noise i heard was a late night group of...
3  Thank VickyfromSeattle