“Shuttles to port was handy”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Ranked #37 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed here for one night before our Caribbean cruise. It's very conveniently located, not far from the port. They have shuttles down to the pier at $7 per person thereabouts.
Rooms were spacious and clean however a little odd that there is a vanity/basin in the bedroom as well as in the bathroom. Asthetically weird but convenient I guess.
We arrived on a very early flight and were able to check into the room which is always helpful! We also booked a day trip to miami through them and that was a real treat.
Breakfast was included but the layout is very obscure and very disorganised. Not really a problem though just confusing as we didnt know what the procedure was as it was very different from all other hotels we've been to. There were hardly any wait staff to collect vouchers or even seat us. The selection of drinks for breakfast was poor, the juice tasted like concentrated cordial.
Staff at front desk were friendly and we would come back again if we were to cruise from fort lauderdale in future.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,327)

Reviewed 18 January 2013

OMG! This Hotel is Amazing to pull up too!!! Simply Amazing. THE LOBBY IS EXTREMELY DATED. The pool area is Amazing!!! The Rooms are Embassy Standard...But The Bathroom in the Bedroom is Terrible if you have others sharing the sofa Bed. Really nice place. The parking price is ridiculous for those who are staying there, Especially in the area that the hotel in located in. So many nearby places to park lol

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing us. Our lobby is an old florida design. This fall we plan on updating the look, but keeping the Old Florida feel. Again thank you for staying with us and hope you return again to enjoy the hotel and the pool.

Sincerely;

Don Friedman

Reviewed 18 January 2013

A terrific hotel! All the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was perfect. I love that the bedroom was in a separate area because I'm an early riser and don't want to wake everyone up when I make coffee and watch tv. The room was clean and spacious. The lobby was filled with greenery and waterfalls/pools. Light shines in from above...amazing! We enjoyed the beautiful pool and koi pond. The complementary breakfast had made to order omlets, which were tasty. It has a cute gift shop with anything one could possibly want!! It's located near a nice shopping area with Publix and several restuarants. I liked that there are shuttles to the cruiseport and airport which was $7.00 per person and we didn't even have to wait for one. The driver was pleasant and didn't speed!! We will be visiting this one again!

Room Tip: I really think all the rooms are good!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cheryl2043
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I visit this hotel every January. In the past I have been pleased with almost every aspect of this hotel. The grounds, building and rooms are nice. The staff that cleans the rooms does an excellant job. I wish that I could say the same about the rest of the staff. While I haven't experienced a problem with the staff before, on my most recent stay this week, the service ranged from nonchalant to terrible.

The front desk staff often would be engaged in conversations that had nothing to do with their jobs, while guests waited for assistance. When we arrived at approximately 1:00 p.m., we were told that no rooms were available yet but that our room would be ready by 3:00. They took my cell phone number and told us that they would call us when the room was ready. We returned at 4:45, without having received a telephone call to discover that our room was ready. If they say that they will contact you, they should contact you.

The people preparing food at the breakfast were curt and uncaring, often getting omlette orders incorrect.

The wait staff at the E-Spot during lunch were incredibly slow and unresponsive. I had ninety minutes for lunch at 1:00 between meetings. The restaurant had guests at about four or five tables. There appeared to be one person working the entire restaurant. He was slow in taking our order of two items, and then it took fifty minutes for the orders to arrive at our table. I had to go inside and find him to see if he had forgotten about us. This caused me to rush through my meal so as to not be late to my meeting. This hotel needs to either talk to their existing staff about customer service, or find a new staff.

One other item needs to be addressed. For some reason, the internet service, for which this Embassy Suites charges $9.95 per day, was not working properly on January 13th. The hotel needs a better, more reliable internet service. Guests, and particularly those of us there on business, need reliable internet service.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel are subjected to vehicle noise on 17th, as well as bright lights...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SEMich
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We moved over to this hotel from the Ramada. It has a great location, close to the airport, the cruise departures and downtown. There is also a mini mall just down the street. The rooms are huge with 2 tv's, a living room, extra sinks, nice furniture. I am really impressed as are the people that came over with us.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brenspen52
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Expensive, but we love the pool area. We stay here often for our Hilton Honor points. When we moved the couch over to fit the roll-away, we found it needed swept about a month earlier. Housekeeping did come to the room with a sweeper to clean it up. We LOVE the pool area as do the kids. It's a great start to a cruise. We've stayed here before three cruises now, and have been satisfied. Just remember its always very busy because of the many cruise travelers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I work in a High end resort, so I know that it is not fair to compare. I have stayed in two other Embassy suites, besides this one. As I travel with family, it is nice to have the bedroom separate from the main livingroom. One of the draw backs is that the bathroom is located in the bedroom, so others must come into the bedroom to get there. But you get over it as you are traveling with family. THe rooms have a small fridge and microwave oven. Keep in mind, you are on vacation, so in most cases you are in the rooms just to sleep. Maintenance issues, should be brought to the attention of the front desk. Maintenance can not fix what they do not know is broken. Although, there were a few things like the handle for the bathroom, had not been repaired properly. There were problems with some electrical sockets not working. Like the plug in the bathroom for the razor. I had to use a plug out at the other sink. That is another bonus, there are two sinks, so if someone is in the bathroom, another person can still brush their teeth or wash their hands. THe breakfast in the morning, is nice. There is the option for both hot items and cold. The attendents keep things well stocked and tables are cleared quickly. I travel with an older person who uses a cane and one of the supervisors was quick to offer to help carry the tray to an empty table. We were overnighters joining a cruise. This location offers for a fare fee, transportation to the cruise terminal. This is nice as you dont have to worry about hiring a taxi. The on site restaurant on the night we were there offered both a Buffet style dinner or order off a menu. We chose to order off the menu. The food was nice and reasonably priced. We had arrived a day before our cruise, so we went on a tour to the everglades. One thing that could be improved on, Guests often order room service and they put out their used dishes. At our place, it is understood that any staff person noticing a dirty tray. To pick them up and take them to the kitchen. Walking around the hotel and seeing dishes from the previous night does not look very nice. Dispite the little, what I call whoopses, it is still a nice place to stay. I have stayed at places that are a lot worse and will never go back too. If I go out on a cruise via Fort Lauderdale. Embassy suites will get my call again. Please keep in mind that many cruise persons use this hotel. So it does get very congested in the lobby from about 10:30 AM onward.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, you may want to request a higher floor. The noise from the bar and rest...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our two-room suites and many other guests find it just as convenient. I'm disappointed to hear about some of the cleanliness missteps and electrical malfunctions you encountered. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams are working to resolve these issues and prevent similar instances from occurring in the future. We hope you will think of us the next time you take a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Again thank you for staying with us and look forward to hosting you again.

Sincerely;