“OK - clean & quiet” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Worthington Guest House
Seattle, WA
“OK - clean & quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Staff were very friendly and the property was very clean & well-kept. Close to the beach but set back enough from the highway that you didn't hear any traffic. Tile floors in the bedrooms were a nice change from grungy hotel carpets. Didn't use the pool or hot tub, but it looked pleasant enough. Breakfast was basic but adequate. "Deluxe" room was spacious, although there was a very large empty space in the middle room that was crying for a small sofa or area rug.

Wouldn't go out of our way to stay here again, but weren't disappointed with our stay.

2 Thank doggone31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Cheshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Had 4 nights here, firstly was disappointed that after paying for a 'better' room we discovered that we we're up 3 stories, rather than poolside. The room was ok, basic but clean. Needs updating, I mean who needs a CD player in a room these days? Where is the Ipod dock? The wifi was incredibly patchy and slow which was frustrating as I needed to work. There was NO tea or coffee facilities in the room, which is OK during the day, but you're screwed if you want a drink in the evening when reception is locked.

Pool area nice, if a little cramped, the sunbeds leave virtually no room for walking past them.

The taxi ride to Wilton Drive is $15 - $20 and hard to hail a cab.

Probably wouldn't stay again.

7 Thank AndyXSteveUK
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

The Worthington/Alcazar is always a great guesthouse to visit. We have been spending time there for 4 years now and have an amazing time every visit. Rooms are clean and roomy (no couch needed, you don't spend much time in the room) and the property is beautifully landscaped. The addition of the work out area is a major plus and the extended happy hour on Saturdays is a great way to get the night going. Jim, the owner, is a great bartender and the drinks are NOT short shots. There are 2 pools on the property so you have a choice of close quarters or more roomy spaces. The hot tub is always a great place to get to know your neighbor. Thanks to the guys for another great visit!!! Jim & Ty.

Room Tip: Choose the adjoining Alcazar property for a quieter stay. The pool and hot tub on The Worthington s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Buxfan1
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The best part of the Worthington/Al Cazar property is the fun, playful and very flirtatious staff. They make the whole experience of staying at this property.

The physical property of the two hotels is rather average and nothing spectacular. It is not luxurious at all.. The rooms are clean and adequate. The areas surrounding the pools cramped.

We stayed in room #113 which is a large king studio. The layout of the room is odd and should have more adequate seating. There are just two chairs and a table with more than adequate space for a small sofa which is needed.

1 Thank phk123
li ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

the worthington gay guest house is a nice clean comfortable place to stay in ft lauderdale. good pool area, clothing optional with access to the adjacent property the alcazar resort.combint the both and you have 2 pools hot tub and alley for nite time amusement. the beach is a 5 minute walk (2 blocks) there's resturants and shopps in walking distance. dont really need a car. prices vary but i'm told the alcazar is less expensive, and quieter.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

About what you would expect in a gay guest house in Fort Lauderdale. Nothing special. Rooms are clean, grounds are nice. There is a cat that roams the premises, so beware. Friendly staff though maybe a bit too eager. Its a bit dated.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Worthington side feel more part of the resort.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I had booked a room earlier at the Worthington when sadly a death in the family forced me to cancel my visit. Though I gave ample notice I was told that I would be given a room credit. That seemed fair to me. A couple of months later I returned to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Royal Palms. What an amazing and wonderful place the Royal Palms is. The property, the rooms, the restaurant and bar are exceptional. But what truly makes it fantastic is the quality of service and the staff. They define service. From the handwritten welcome note, and fresh-baked cookies to every little detail, you are totally pampered and served. After a short stay at the Royal Palms I decided to use my room credit at the Worthington. I guess that was my mistake. When I went to check in, the difference was immediately glaring. The front desk was a cluttered mess and the staff seemed as though I was an interruption to their work. One of them never even got up from his desk. I told them that I would like to use my credit. The manager said "You can use half of it." Stunned I said,"can you repeat that?"
"I already told you!" he barked. "I don't understand." I said. "I already have paid for one night" "We'll lose money on you. You pay the difference when I give you half" I should have leff but I didn't. The hotel is old, tired, and has a nothing besides a tiny crowded pool. No staff was ever present. There were rude signs scattered throughout the place barking orders at guests. I have now returned to the Royal Palms. From nightmare to dreams come true.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank RT312939
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
I would like to clarify a couple things. His reservation was for Christmas Holiday, we have a 30 day cancellation policy. A reservation canceled under 30 day Holiday policy the deposit is forfeited. The 3 night reservation was canceled 10 days prior to arrival, under the circumstances, as a courtesy we informed the first time guest that we would forward his deposit to a future stay. We also informed him at the time that a forwarded deposit can not exceed 50% of a new reservation. The reason for this is , when a guest cancels with short notice, the resort may incur a loss due to the room being vacant for one or more of the canceled nights, just as we don't want a guest to loose their deposit, we on the other hand don't want to sustain a loss either. It's fair for both parties.

This person shows up at the front desk without a reservation, states he is staying at The Royal Palms and wanted to use his deposit for 1 night and then go back to RP. Well that shows real gratitude towards us for forwarding his deposit, we reminded him that he could use 50% of his 163.00 credit towards the 199.00 room since his credit was more than 50% of the nights stay. The remainder could be used another time. He got a little upset, he was the one barking. He couldn't understand why, I tried to explain but he kept cutting me off. Finally I gave him the suite for 50% off just to end the drama.

The rest of his comments as well about the resort are down right untrue. We have two large pools, both are larger than the RP's, Our resort is kept in excellent condition. We have won Superior Small Lodgings " White Glove Award" year after year in both buildings, which represents meticulously clean rooms with the highest standards for guest accommodations. Both building have been recently repainted, new fencing, all new windows etc...I'll agree we have a nice crowd at our pools unlike some other resorts, we are always busy.

I'm sure He did get "hand written notes", that may be due to the fact there are no room phones at the RP, so I believe that line. He also states " No staff was ever present", well the resort does not run itself. I am there 6 days a week myself. We are fully staffed during business hours. I live 2 minutes away and am available at any time should there be a need.

We have no "rude signs barking orders to the guests", the only signs that are posted are the mandatory pool/spa rules, no lifeguard sign which is also mandatory. Outside of those signs we have only one sign on each gate that states parking is for "registered guests only, visitors may be towed". We like for our guests to have a place to park when they get home at night. That's not really barking in my book.

We tried to be nice in the first place by forwarding his deposit, sometimes you can't win.

I would suggest to you, that since this guest didn't get his way, this is his retaliation. 99.9 % of our guests absolutely love our resort, the others are probably where they belong.
Jim Durhan- Proprietor