“Exceeded Our Expectations”

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
South Jersey
“Exceeded Our Expectations”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Let me preface this by saying, I am not a resort-type of person. I am a do-it-yourself type, let's hike a national park and see some museums type of person; but after a year-long battle with cancer, my husband and I needed a vacation to relax and celebrate. The first part of our trip was for me - spring training and visiting family and friends. The 2nd part of the trip at the Pink Shell was for my husband, who was an amazing caregiver and definitely needed a relaxing vacation!

I am also not a fancy type of person. I like a clean, nicely-appointed hotel with a plentiful breakfast and clean pool. But I don't like glitz or glam, skimpy bikini-types, etc. Honestly, I don't even really like the beach. But again, this portion of the vacation was for my husband.

Well, I don't know who enjoyed this part of the vacation more. We loved everything about the Pink Shell. We even texted our kids, "Use the emergency credit card and get on the next flight. We're staying."

I scoured through the reviews and it took me a long time to decide on which hotel to book. My husband was so impressed with my choice. We kept saying how we wished we had known about the Pink Shell when our kids were younger. They would have loved it! It was very family-oriented, but as a couple, we didn't feel uncomfortable or over-whelmed by kids.

Don't expect 4 or 5-star, up-scale rooms. The rooms are spacious, clean, nicely appointed with the Gulf Coast feel. The bed was super comfortable. By far, the view was our favorite thing about the hotel room. We spent each night on the balcony with a bottle of wine and chocolates.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, from the ladies cleaning the rooms to the waiters and the people working at the front desk (who were so helpful). They were polite and professional without being stuffy.

The breakfast was outstanding...at the same level as the Embassy Suites. Huge selection of all different types of breakfast foods, including omelettes, waffles, fruits, danishes, breads, etc. The views from the dining room were magnificent. We ate lunch on the pool deck at Bongo's. It wasn't unreasonably priced and the food was delicious.

It was nice having activities on site. We did the wave runner tour to see the dolphins. There was a sunset boat ride where we actually saw even more dolphins than we had on the wave runners. There was no additional charge for the beach chairs, although you could pay for the nicer chairs (vs. the strap chairs) and umbrella for your entire stay. We enjoyed shelling, walking the beach up and around Bowditch State Park. The beach was beautiful - soft, white, clean sand and beautifully clear, mild water.

We also loved the location of the hotel. It was away from the touristy part of town. We took a drive on our last day to the southern part of Estero Island and we realized how much nicer the northern part of the island was. Quiet, no traffic. The traffic on the southern part was bumper-to-bumper. We were also able to walk from the Pink Shell to the touristy area, Times Square where there are a lot of restaurants, tourist shops and night-life. It was an easy walk through the quiet part of town (residential and condo-hotels) with sidewalks. So glad we didn't drive since the parking was a challenge in the Times Square area.

Our flight home wasn't until 7:30 pm and although we had to check out of the room by noon, they were very accommodating and arranged for us to shower and dress at the spa. So we were able to use all the facilities on our last day, even though we had already packed and checked out.

Thanks to the Pink Shell, I might just be willing to do another beach resort vacation (my husband is very happy about that!). Excellent, relaxing resort!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Mom2Boys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The sand wasn't so great this year, full of shells and sharp broken ones at that! Must be due to the beach widening project this year? Resort did their best to groom the sand,, but if you weren;t very careful OUCH! Major bummer for walking on the beach,
Room was nice and clean, very attractive, but very expensive.. staff is friendly.. Great views..But if you don't have kids, book a room away from the Octopool.. the waterfall is super noisy and its full of little ones until dark...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jewel63
United States
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was our 3rd week-long visit to the Pink Shell. As was the case of our 2nd visit, the room quality was a big disappointment. We made our reservations in Sept. of 2011, so it's not as if we just dropped in unexpectedly. This place is very expensive; therefore, the carpeting and furniture should not be shabby. And since we are not handicapped, why put us in a handicapped room? Overall, the staff was very accommodating, especially Dane, Nick, Bob, and the host/hostess in the breakfast room, but the service at Bongo's was not up to its usual standard, because the staff was very disorganized. Nobody seemed to know whose service section belonged to whom. As a result, we waited and waited and waited for both service or food often. The highlight of this visit was the the marina. Excellent! We rented a pontoon boat one day, bikes the next, and were very impressed with the staff, the prices, and the quality of the equipment. Hats off to the marina staff!
Be sure you use the breakfast tickets every day and remember to return the wristbands and towels. That way, you will get more for your $$$$, regardless of the room's condition.

Room Tip: Lesson learned the hard way: At check-in, ask to see the room before taking it. There is a huge disc...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chartergirl
Cincinnati
Reviewed 9 April 2012

First of all, we had a great vacation despite the issues we had at the resort. That being said, I would go back for the location, but I will never pay $636.00 a night there again! It was spring break for many people so they got top dollar. We stayed in a two bedroom condo at the Estero Beach Villas. The rooms were renovated, but still seem a little "tired". A good paint job is needed in some areas of the condo. The bathrooms are very small and the lighting is not good. There were ants in the guest room where our boys slept. I had read about these in a review prior to our trip, and how true it was!! The master king size bed was awful!! My husband turned it but it was no better. (still sagged on both sides) I never got a good night sleep and woke up with body aches daily. All the pillows were flat an uncomfortable. Simple things to fix, so it just gives me the thought that they don't really care about the guests comfort. The lanai was the best part of the entire condo. It is larger than the ones in the main bldg. We had a corner room so we could see out of two sides for a gorgeous view. When they say 3 pools, well, one is just a kiddie pool, one is VERY small, and the main one is mostly for smaller kids. We have two teenage boys and they only swam once in the main pool the whole week. We enjoyed the beach very much! There is volleyball, tetherball, and water sports that were not cheap, but worth it to us. Make sure you put towels out on the complimentary beach chairs during peak season, because there are not enough to go around. DEFINITELY put towels out early on pool chairs. The breakfast buffet was nice, with your typical omelette chef, bacon, sausage, yogurts, fruit, donuts, etc. The food at JoJo's was awful!! We ordered calamari and it looked like they just threw tiny squid on the plate with no breading, just tentacles and heads everywhere! Bongo's pizza was my son's favorite food in the whole resort. It was good. As far as the overall service at the resort, to me they all seemed tired. They were nice but looked to be just putting in their time. I expect more out of a 4 star resort. Even the housekeeper seemed annoyed that we didn't want her coming to clean at 7:00am. Come on, we're on vacation! She actually cleaned one day with my boys sleeping in the other room and we had gone down to breakfast. If you miss her when she wants to come, you better call, like we did daily to get her back. My husband and I took the dolphin tour on a jet ski. Can rent all the water stuff right at the resort. Jake was awesome on the tour! The others that worked there were all great too!! The only problem we had is I went parasailing with my 17 yr old son and the captain gave us the wrong photos twice!! (could you check them at least after the first time they were wrong???!!) Well, he just over rides the photos all day long, so we will never get our pics! How careless!! The captain called me but didn't seem to feel all that bad. I spend $160 for a 10 min ride with my son doing something I will probably never get to do again with him and he deleted our photos! He said it's happened before.....well, how about doing something different so it doesn't happen again! Yes, this was very upsetting to say the least!! All in all, we did have a nice trip but there is nothing very sophisticated about this resort to justify paying over $600 a night. Oh, the walls were paper thin in this bldg we stayed in so you could hear everything day and night. Get a higher level for beauty and stay away from the lowest level, as the parking garage is right underneath.

Room Tip: I would try to stay in the main bldg if possible. Nicer rooms, bigger bathrooms. If yo want a little...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank travelers043
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We recently spent a week at the Pink Shell with our family. The resort and spa were absolutely wonderful in everyway. The room we had was very clean, spacious and well stocked. The 3 pools and gulf beach front, along with the planned events ie; crafts, hair braiding, crab races, super sundays, movie night, etc., kept the children endlessly entertained. We also really enjoyed the poolside massage. The location was perfect, both close to the nature area in one direction and the town the other direction. The breakfast buffet is a wonderful way to start the day and the pool bar is a great way to end it. Really enjoyed our stay!

Mechanicsville, Maryland
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We went to the Pink Shell to celebrate my sister in-laws 50th birthday. Two of the nicest people we had the pleasure of meeting were Dane and Kat. These two employees worked in all areas of the hotel so you never knew where you might see them working. They were always enjoyable to talk with and had great dispositions!!!!!!!! The hotel was very nice and very clean. The rooms were great and we loved the screened in decks which allowed us to leave the doors open all night and listen to the ocean. The gym needs more equipment!!!!!!!

Room Tip: if you stay above the 2nd floor you will have a better view of the ocean
1 Thank Richard B
Ohio
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Great vacation to the beach with my wife and 17 month old son. We stayed in the Sanibel View rooms. Cozy room, spacious bathroom, great balcony. Only downfall with the rooms are that walls seemed thin, or we had noisy neighbors... Kitchen area was a little small, but functional.

Beach was great (chairs provided, charge for an umbrella so bring your own)...pools even better (chairs AND umbrellas). All beach towels are provided. Two pools that accomodated my little guy's height. Hearty breakfast, compliments of the hotel. Plenty of other restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Overall a great time. Please note that the hotel will put an extra $100 hold on your card PER DAY. This can be used to charge things against daily - drinks from the bar, food from their restaurant. Anything you don't use will be reimbursed, but additional money will be tied up on your card until you check out.

Room Tip: Request the top floor for the best view and most quiet.
4 Thank ohioisforlovers
25.1 km away
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Captiva Island

Been to Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!