Let me preface this by saying, I am not a resort-type of person. I am a do-it-yourself type, let's hike a national park and see some museums type of person; but after a year-long battle with cancer, my husband and I needed a vacation to relax and celebrate. The first part of our trip was for me - spring training and visiting family and friends. The 2nd part of the trip at the Pink Shell was for my husband, who was an amazing caregiver and definitely needed a relaxing vacation!
I am also not a fancy type of person. I like a clean, nicely-appointed hotel with a plentiful breakfast and clean pool. But I don't like glitz or glam, skimpy bikini-types, etc. Honestly, I don't even really like the beach. But again, this portion of the vacation was for my husband.
Well, I don't know who enjoyed this part of the vacation more. We loved everything about the Pink Shell. We even texted our kids, "Use the emergency credit card and get on the next flight. We're staying."
I scoured through the reviews and it took me a long time to decide on which hotel to book. My husband was so impressed with my choice. We kept saying how we wished we had known about the Pink Shell when our kids were younger. They would have loved it! It was very family-oriented, but as a couple, we didn't feel uncomfortable or over-whelmed by kids.
Don't expect 4 or 5-star, up-scale rooms. The rooms are spacious, clean, nicely appointed with the Gulf Coast feel. The bed was super comfortable. By far, the view was our favorite thing about the hotel room. We spent each night on the balcony with a bottle of wine and chocolates.
Everyone was so friendly and helpful, from the ladies cleaning the rooms to the waiters and the people working at the front desk (who were so helpful). They were polite and professional without being stuffy.
The breakfast was outstanding...at the same level as the Embassy Suites. Huge selection of all different types of breakfast foods, including omelettes, waffles, fruits, danishes, breads, etc. The views from the dining room were magnificent. We ate lunch on the pool deck at Bongo's. It wasn't unreasonably priced and the food was delicious.
It was nice having activities on site. We did the wave runner tour to see the dolphins. There was a sunset boat ride where we actually saw even more dolphins than we had on the wave runners. There was no additional charge for the beach chairs, although you could pay for the nicer chairs (vs. the strap chairs) and umbrella for your entire stay. We enjoyed shelling, walking the beach up and around Bowditch State Park. The beach was beautiful - soft, white, clean sand and beautifully clear, mild water.
We also loved the location of the hotel. It was away from the touristy part of town. We took a drive on our last day to the southern part of Estero Island and we realized how much nicer the northern part of the island was. Quiet, no traffic. The traffic on the southern part was bumper-to-bumper. We were also able to walk from the Pink Shell to the touristy area, Times Square where there are a lot of restaurants, tourist shops and night-life. It was an easy walk through the quiet part of town (residential and condo-hotels) with sidewalks. So glad we didn't drive since the parking was a challenge in the Times Square area.
Our flight home wasn't until 7:30 pm and although we had to check out of the room by noon, they were very accommodating and arranged for us to shower and dress at the spa. So we were able to use all the facilities on our last day, even though we had already packed and checked out.
Thanks to the Pink Shell, I might just be willing to do another beach resort vacation (my husband is very happy about that!). Excellent, relaxing resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As a Top Florida Resort, Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina was voted the #2 resort on the Gulf coast of Florida by Conde Nast Traveler. Book on our website and you get more than a great room or suite at our beachfront resort. Every time you reserve and stay with us, and with every hotel deal we offer, you receive two breakfasts each day, two drinks, two in-suite bottles of Voss water, a Pink Shell Resort beach bag, and daily beach lounge chair and umbrella rental. The only thing we overlook is the beach! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina Hotel Fort Myers Beach
- Pink Shell Beach Resort And Marina
- Pink Shell Beach Hotel
- Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina Fort Myers Beach, Florida