We stayed for 3 nights and while we knew it wouldn't be the Royal Hawaiian, they could put a little more into upkeep. Carpet in room felt gross/dirty and it had a huge rip in it. Not much water pressure in shower. Elevators and halls were HOT, HOT, HOT..i don't know if they had A/C in them?? On Friday night they had karaoke by the pool...geez! Loud and annoying! Then on our 3rd day there, I go up to our room and my key doesn't work. They had locked us out!! Because we have a purchase limit set on our CC and over certain amounts it doesn't approve without our authorization, but Holiday Inn takes the whole amount for your stay when you check in??? Every hotel we have stayed at, many MUCH nicer than the Holiday Inn only take/put a hold for 1 nights stay until you check out. So when we checked in we gave them our card thinking they would take 1 night and we could call the day we checked out to authorize the full amount to be charged. NOPE they tried taking the full amount, so I go to the desk to talk to them...the manager tells me all this and I am like 1: Why didn't you tell us this when checking in that you were going to take full amount then and we would have had the limit set to be authorized? 2: Why didn't you call us? The MANAGER said he called our room twice, but they didn't leave a message on our room phone?? because the light was not blinking on our room phone. So how do we know to come fix this if you don't leave a message??? 3: Why did you wait until our 3rd day there if you were so worried about it? 4: When I asked them to turn the key back on so I could go get the card and call for authorization they acted like they didn't want to let me back in the room?? Seriously? How are you going to insult and guest at your hotel like that??? Nor to mention how do you expect me to fix it, if you don't let me in? It was just terribly insulting and ridiculous! We travel a lot and have stayed in many 4-5 star resorts (actual resorts) and never been treated like that! It was just handled poorly and the manager didn't really seem to care that they had troubled us, by locking us out of our room! He didn't really even apologize, it was sad! I have no issue with them taking the whole charge for your stay upfront, I suppose they have too, because I am sure people have stayed and then not had any money at the end, but just tell people you are taking the whole amount?? I can't imagine that we are the only people who have purchase limits on their cards!
Not that I actually expected it to be a resort, I knew better. At the same time though, I am not sure why they think they can call it a resort, resorts have much nicer pools, grounds and actual spa/salons. There is NO Spa, they have a hot tub and call that a spa. HA HA! Sorry a spa is a place to get facials, massages and relax, you have a hot tub.
Pros: On the beach. Chairs & umbrellas. Great views from Ocean front rooms. Free DVD's. Mini fridge. Heated Pools.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach/Destin, Florida is a family oriented beachfront hotel tucked away from the Destin traffic on Okaloosa Island. No other location compares to the world's whitest beaches and emerald green waters. With fishing, golf courses, shopping, and other attractions nearby, you are sure to find a way to pass the sultry Florida days. Our full service resort features all the helpful amenities needed for a comfortable stay, including luxurious penthouses and one bedroom suites with kitchens. Romantic getaway? Our fabulous honeymoon suite presents cozy bedding in a warm setting and a deluxe view of the Gulf of Mexico from the Jacuzzi tub. Visit the Crab Island Cafe specializing in seafood entrees, or our seasonal poolside Manatee Grill & Bar. We haven't forgotten the business traveler or conventioneer. With 3,500 sq. Ft. Of meeting space, we are ideally suited to accommodate any function from a business conference to a wedding celebration. Relax, our professional event and catering staff can offer creative, budget-conscious ideas for a successful event. Want to add some fun to your day on the beach? Take advantage of all that is offered for free - bikes, ping pong, bingo by the pool, beach service with chairs and umbrella. Our Dive-in movies deliver drive-in quality in a wet atmosphere as our main pool becomes a cinema. Guest under the age of 24 must be accompanied by parent or guardian. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity.ca and Hotels.com so you can book your Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach Hotel Fort Walton Beach
- Holiday Inn Fort Walton Beach
- Fort Walton Beach Holiday Inn