New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands

Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
NW, IN
“Clean Room, Great Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed 1 night at this location. We arrived rather late and found the staff to be somewhat inexperienced at handling a minor problem, but overall it was a good experience. We had asked to be close to the front entrance on the first floor as I have a medical issue that restricts walking too far. We were given a room on the first floor the farthest from the entrance. When I inquired about moving, the young lady could not give me an answer. We continued to our room, which was very clean and nice. After about 45 minutes our telephone rang in the room, the young lady said we could move if we wanted to to a closer to the entrance room, but we had already unpacked and were in bed so we declined. It would have been nice to know andwe would have moved had this option been open tous upon checkin or very shortly after. 45 minutes is too long to wait to offer a room move, especially when it was 10pm.

On a good note, the breakfast was fantastic! We were up and out early, so we opted to make a plate to go. Scrambled eggs and sausage pattie on a bisquit, fruit and a glass of juice and we had a to go breakfast! Very yummy! We also tasted the sausage gravy and it was great also! No need to buy any breakfast with a nice spread like they had. We would definately stay here again! Friendly staff, clean rooms, great breakfast!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
central ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Good firm beds. Good breakfast overall. Stayed 3 nights. Stairwell closest to us never got vacuumed while we were there. Our tub was slow to drain. Room was well attended--no problems there. Office internet area had 2 computers available, but one never connected to the internet and the other was out of order on occasion. Connection seemed a bit slow. Office chairs were a bit low for my taste. Breakfast options were good, but some items (yogurt, cereal, certain bagels) were not replenished as the days went by. Noticed that some of the small cereal boxes were out of date. TV was loud in breakfast area; my attempts to quiet the TV were unsuccessful (only available table was directly in front of the TV). Perhaps the staff could lower the volume and show the closed captions. Did not like hot toaster location; cramped for space in breakfast area. Good cookies in afternoon. We reserved the AAA rate, but later heard the staff offer walkups a rate lower than what I was paying.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank duffbeerdude
GatorFan49, Owner at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Thanks for taking time to provide feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I have personally addressed some of the issues with the staff to ensure our guest's stays are better than expected at all times. With regards to the internet, we are in the process of upgrading the equipment to ensure consistent and reliable internet and business center services that exceed the standard. I hope you will visit again and give us the opportunity exceed your expectations.
tampa, fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

After an unexpected break down on I75 and a 3 hour wait for AAA, we were so thankful to finally get to our lovely room. We had booked months in advance and found checking in a breeze. We stayed in a King Suite- small frig not too cold, microwave, large walkin shower, in room jacuzzi. Nice spacious room and bathroom. Semi quiet, could hear some talking in the hallway. Very clean. Comfy bed and pillows. Breakfast was good but small. Nice area, close to everything. Ate at Cody's Roadhouse after race. Awesome prime rib! Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Love the King Suite. We were on ground floor which was ok but a little too close to housekeeping cl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed overnight on a weekend for an athletic event at the University of Florida. There was a short wait to check in because there was a flood of guests checking in at the same time. There was one person working the front desk. A housekeeping staff member was doing her best to assist her. There was a baseball team spending the night at the hotel, and staff members at the front desk assured us that the manager wanted to know if we had any problems with noise and provided us with the manager's cell phone number. Fortunately, we had no noise problems. Our room was nicely furnished and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and nicely appointed, but the lighting was not good. Unfortunately, the breakfast area is very small and the hotel was full. We had to take our food back to our room because there was no place to sit. There was a fair selection of basic breakfast foods. There is a small business center just off the lobby. Overall, it's an okay place to spend a night.

Room Tip: Our third floor room toward the end of the hall, away from the elevator was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingfoolGeorgia
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is your typical "stay one night in a clean place" type of property. It is o.k. for business, but would not stay for any other reason. Pretty basic. There are other properties in the area to stay if you want a lot of amenities. Rooms are a nice size though.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank flamingoluvr
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was on the road for work and needed a place to sleep for the night. I booked the room based on the pictures I saw on the website. I will say from the time I entered the lobby I felt at ease. This is the 2nd Sleep Inn I have stayed at and the first property was brand new. This one seems to be fairly new judging from the room that I stayed in. The room was clean and updated. The bed was also very comfy. So comfy that I almost over slept. If I am ever in the area again I will definitely stay here again as long as the price is right.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 247HardWorker
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Having never stayed at a Sleep Inn before, I had nothing to go on but these reviews, and knowing the hotel was new. My mom was going to check out the hotel for us; but I told her not to worry because TripAdvisor is very reliable and the reviews for this particular hotel were almost flawless!

We checked in with confidence and our family in the next room was just as happy! The lobby/front area is elegant and clean. In the evening you are greeted with popcorn and cookies, along with coffee!

The rooms are very big for this genre in the hotel industry. The rooms are bigger than Hampton Inn, and on par with the size of Drury Inn rooms. Simply put, ROOMY! We had a two-queen room. The bathroom is very large with a wall to wall lavatory to easily accommodate all of your toiletries while keeping the area uncluttered.

The beds are medium to firm, pillow top mattress....four very nice pillows on each bed. Wonderful night's sleep!

Coffee in room is really good. Of course, flat screen TV, bigger than usual desk area, microwave with nice sized fridge, CLOSET (this is not common for this level of hotel as far as I know). Three dresser drawers... I'm telling you. PLENTY of room to stretch out and keep all your gear nicely organized.

Also, this Sleep Inn is above the mark on breakfast. FULL HOT BREAKFAST with waffles, scrambled eggs, canadian bacon some mornings, sausage patties on others, breakfast bars, yogurt, apples, oranges, all sort of types of breads, biscuits and gravy, cereal....great, wonderful....filling...fresh....plentiful breakfast!

Now on to service. The service was over the top from the time I picked up the phone to work out my reservation until the point of check-out. Just perfect. Couldn't ask for more. For specifics, feel free to email me.

A few tips. 315,317 are right off the elevator and very quiet. One thing for travelers who carry foods to prepare their own meals. The fridge is quite cold and large enough to accommodate plenty of food. However, if you freeze water bottles as I do in order to keep food cold once you get back on the road, you'll have to find alternate methods because this hotel, like many others, does not have a freezer inside the fridge. It's possible that they may freeze and keep your bottles for you until departure as the Drury Inn will; but I didn't think to ask because I had too much going on to think of it.

Wi-Fi...slower than some, but adequate.

My apologies for not having bountiful pictures as I usually do on my reviews. I actually didn't have a camera at check in! I was going to get some pictures after I got my camera but never got to it! Their pictures are good...but the rooms are EVEN BETTER than what the pictures show!!!!!

For those of you who doubt the "Choice Hotel" brand, or this level of Choice hotel...book this particular property with confidence. They've been open for four years and are not yet beginning to show their age.

Room Tip: 315, 317 right off the elevator and quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family