“Mostly good”

Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: the TOP / prepped daily / fresh & local ingredients / see you soon
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We looked at reviews as we were approaching Gainesville and this place looked good. Saturday night at 6:00 and there was a 45 minute wait - which turned out to be more like 20. This is a very loud, chaotic, dimly lit, hip, cool restaurant with a huge, young following. Server - Larry - was extremely friendly. We ordered garden salads - mine with balsamic viniagrette and the viniagrette was VERY thick and had good flavor. Nice fresh salad. My husband ordered the Broccoli Alfredo with salmon and it came without the salmon. He enjoyed it nonetheless. I ordered the Belgian macadamia nut crusted trout. The trout was delicious and was a HUGE piece of fish. The accompanying brown rice had no flavor whatsoever. Tasted like cardboard and I didn't eat it. Green beans were done nicely. For dessert, we ordered the vegan chocolate cake. The cake was nice and fairly moist. The icing was extremely hard and dense and we left that on the plate. My one complaint about the restroom is that they have one of those ridiculously loud hand dryers that sounds like a 747 taking off. I hate those because in a small, tiled bathroom, it is seriously deafening. When I walked in the bathroom, a woman was drying her hands and I had to cover my ears because it was LOUD. I think this restaurant does a lot of things right and I would definitely return.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

The food was great, and there was a wonderful selection to choose from, both for us meat eaters, as well as for those that prefer not to. The service was also good, both timely and attentive.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

This restaurant has good food and options for vegetarians. There is outdoor seating when weather permits.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

I came to The Top for late night cocktails. Delicious menu and excellent bartenders. Still as good as I remember when I used to go to UF 12 years aggo. Solid.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Service good food was bad. Fish and chicken over cooked soup was cold... don’t know if new cook or blame it on the holidays