“Looks like something I've seen in the Caribbean”
Review of Reggae Shack Cafe

Reggae Shack Cafe
Ranked #26 of 642 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Parking In The Back
Reviewed June 19, 2017

This place had really good food. The restaurant is nothing fancy. You could honestly wear a t-shirt and athletic shorts to go. The food is close to what I have eaten in the Caribbean, it reminds of being down in the island. I enjoy the rice and beans. It also has a little but of an American twist, especially when it comes to the giant onion rings stacked high on one of their sandwiches.

Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant advertises as vegan/vegetarian friendly but has been out of vegan protein options on two separate occasions. I ordered a sandwich, and it came out with only 2 meager slices of veg protein on it. I would love to see more protein & less filler. The fries were the best part, they season them with a variety of spices & sugar! So it was a treat without paying for dessert. I would try again, maybe for meat options this time, and recommend to advertise veg only when in stock (if it ever is)

Reviewed June 1, 2017

We went with a group of over 15 people but the service was still quite good. The menu has a lot of Caribbean dishes, including many jerk-seasoned dishes, curries, and a large selection of vegetarian dishes. I ordered the callaloo and crab, which was interesting, but maybe not the best choice. There was quite a bit of crab, but not a lot of seasoning. With a lot of hot sauce it was pretty good. I should have gone with my first instinct and have gotten the tempeh curry. My companions enjoyed their varied dishes. I would return but select a different dish.

Reviewed April 9, 2017 via mobile

Good food, service and vibe! I wanted to fall in love with this place because vegan food and Reggae are just up my alley, but I left a star off due to the level of fried food and having to change my shirt after lunch due to it smelling like fry Oil. The jerk tofu and seitan was pretty darn good.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed March 29, 2017

We have been here several times. The food is good and seems to be very authentic Jamaican food. It is not cheap. But the biggest complaint is that the service is consistently, amazingly slow!!!! The last visit was a dinner out with my son who is a UF student. We waited an hour and a half for a our food. Yes an hour and a half. We were with my son and his girl friend, and my son likes to eat here, so we didn't raise a stink. We tried to get our waitress but each time she came near, she ducked away and would not come TT us. We asked several others what was up, and they gave us "your food should be ready soon" deal. We went to front to get refill on drinks. Teh Rest. was not busy, yet the cooks and staff were all going crazy in the back. My son told us they do lots of take out orders and cater to take out first. I would do take out but would NEVER go back in again. Our waitress would not even deliver our food. She came back with the bill, dropped it off, apologized for the wait, but did so "on the run-wouldn't look at us and took off....and no concession on the bill.

Date of visit: February 2017