“Good place for a typical plate.”
Review of Reggae Shack Cafe

Reggae Shack Cafe
Ranked #27 of 625 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Parking In The Back
Reviewed July 12, 2017

My wife and I enjoyed dinner at the Reggae Shack Cafe. We do enjoy "typical" plates from many countries, so we looked forward to our first meal at RSC. My wife had curry chicken; I had jerk pork. Both entrees were spicy, the jerk decidedly more so. Both were also very tasty and were accompanied by rice and peas, fried plantains and stewed cabbage. In all, the meal was good, above average. The prices, however, seem a little high to me and I usually do not comment on prices. Two dinners and one bottle of beer cost about $35, tip included. I recommend RSC, but with the caveat that its prices are on the high end of moderate.

Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

We went to celebrate a birthday, but didn't tell the staff. We sang happy Birthday over dessert, and staff came out and sang again, then gifted us one dessert!

Service is great, they will give you suggestions, if asked.

My dish was a bit spicy but great!

A Gainesville must!

Reviewed July 1, 2017

Was very excited to hear about a Jamaican restaurant near me. Upon arrival staff very friendly. Will say that they need some noise reduction for the inside, just plain concrete walls painted with a drab grey.
Placed order for the Jerk Chicken then afterwards server came back and said that they had no chicken only boneless chicken, and this is only right at 11 am. Server said that it was just as good as the reg chicken.
It took a long period to get meal and the sides were at best luke warm. I had the rice and peas with boiled cabbage which is what comes with all meals.

the boneless chicken was mostly a black color and for the most part dry. The seasoning was very hot, mind you I love Jamaican food but this was nothing that I have ever experienced and the flavor was way off. The sweet tea was great.

Staff was very friendly, as far as the food I will not return, I will take the extra trip to Tampa to get food the next time.

Reviewed June 19, 2017

This place had really good food. The restaurant is nothing fancy. You could honestly wear a t-shirt and athletic shorts to go. The food is close to what I have eaten in the Caribbean, it reminds of being down in the island. I enjoy the rice and beans. It also has a little but of an American twist, especially when it comes to the giant onion rings stacked high on one of their sandwiches.

Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant advertises as vegan/vegetarian friendly but has been out of vegan protein options on two separate occasions. I ordered a sandwich, and it came out with only 2 meager slices of veg protein on it. I would love to see more protein & less filler. The fries were the best part, they season them with a variety of spices & sugar! So it was a treat without paying for dessert. I would try again, maybe for meat options this time, and recommend to advertise veg only when in stock (if it ever is)