“Very good food!”
Review of Omi's Playa Azul

Omi's Playa Azul
Ranked #226 of 646 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed June 12, 2017

I believe that I had the "ropa vieja". The shredded beef was cooked on point with nice aroma and spices. Nice ambiance!

1  Thank Helene H

Reviewed March 28, 2017

I was meeting a dear friend for lunch and we chose Omi's as neither of us had ever been here.
It opened at 11:00. I arrived at 11:25 and the sign still said closed. A server was setting up the buffet. Two other customers just went and sat down at the table. Within a few minutes, the server noticed us.
The tables have long table cloths on them that were dirty. The length of those tablecloths is a real trip hazard.
Our server, the only one we saw, seemed distracted and was not overly attentive.
We ordered the pulled pork tacos, the chicken tacos and the tostones. The tostones were tasty. I found the chicken tacos to be rather bland. The guacomole was lacking.
I would have expected much more based on the reviews.
We have no intentions of going back.

2  Thank Pascale S
Reviewed March 11, 2017 via mobile

I arrived at the back end of the lunch time and ordered the $10. buffet while sitting at the bar counter. The restaurant was quite and clean. I found the food tasty but some of the entrees were gone. I had black beans with white rice, picadillo, salad (limited salad dressings), maduros and roast pork with sweet tea. All were excellent and savory. The wait person returned repeatedly and kept my tea refilled. I suspect arriving earlier than 1 pm would result in more choices and hence a lower rating.

Reviewed February 23, 2017

Gainesville is so lucky to have such an excellent new restaurant. Better than any near Hipp. The waitress was friendly and efficient. The food beautifully presented. Round tables with pretty blue clothes. Promptly served!
Highly recommended by family member who had lunch with his Board.

I will look forward to dining again soon and recommending to friends.

Reviewed February 6, 2017

This place was reviewed in a local magazine with actual recipes printed.....sounded good. I actually made the white chicken lasagna recipe at home and it was delicious! So....we thought we'd try the place out since it was right next door to where we were to go see some live theater in a couple of hours. We walked in and there was no one in the place (saturday night)....but it was early (6:30pm)....Paola came to wait on us...she was very sweet......but advised us of a few things that were NOT on the menu for the evening.....several things they were supposedly noted for! (no white chicken lasagna!) It took 20 minutes for our food to come......it was good.....but I've had better. It was not expensive...reasonable. I had the cuban roasted pork, pinto beans (tiny portion), 3 sweet plantains & a delicious pork tamale (highlight of my dinner). My husband had "Four Cubans".....minus the beef (one of the four) they didn't have!...some plantains & black beans & rice...small portions. There wasn't much atmosphere....the music was a bit loud.......but the place WAS empty. When we left to go to the theater, there were only a few more people eating. Hmmmmm......don't think we'll return......just didn't scream "yummy & come back!"