“Hollywood Beach Marriott vs Harbor Beach Resort”

Hollywood Beach Marriott
Ranked #6 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 23 December 2011

My wife and I decided to take a quick 4 day trip to Florida just as a work break. We stayed here during the week of December 15th. I am a Marriott Platinum member and could not decide between the Harbor Beach Resort and Marriott Hollywood Beach. We ended up splitting up the trip and staying two nights at each hotel.

To see my review of Harbor Beach go to the Harbor Beach Marriott review section. We loved both hotels but had more fun at the Hollywood Beach hotel. I am a Marriott Platinum Member and we traveled as a couple.

Hollywood Beach Hotel

I have to thank “Chris” the front desk attendant. He really took great care of me. He upgraded me to a full ocean view room and probably the best room they had in the hotel ! It had two balconies and teh room was spacious. THANK YOU CHRIS !!!!

This is definitely an older hotel that was remodeled. The room itself was great. The bathroom was very nice but as others have commented, the glass bathroom door is a little bizarre and I really don’t understand what they were thinking when they designed this. However, I have to say, it really was not that big of a deal. The truth is you really can’t see much through the glass. It is smoked glass and I would not let that stop you from staying at this hotel.

I do have to admit, the front desk staff, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the managers etc.. are all great. They are extremely friendly and take good care of you. However, as others have commented, the cleaning staff ..well not so much. I think I read other reviews about this but on our first night there we left the room at about 11:30am the next morning. I didn’t think this was exceptionally late since we are on vacation but our room was never cleaned. I guess they do a once over down the hall in the morning and if you have a do not disturb sign on your door, your out of luck. We got back to our room about 5:30pm and the room was not cleaned so we just asked the front desk staff to bring up some clean towels which they did and were very apologetic. The hallway itself outside the rooms had kind of a damply musty smell to it but it never really bothered us. We could not smell anything in our room.

The location of this hotel is great !!! The Hollywood beach area is very nice. We didn’t really get to enjoy the beach too much because of the windy weather but it was extremely clean. It is a public beach, no alcohol is allowed and you have to rent chairs from the city. There is a booth right outside the hotel that rents chairs ( $ 8 for lounge chairs, $ 24 for a cabana with chairs).

The pool at the hotel is very small as others have mentioned. It was not busy so there were plenty of chairs available but there is no wow factor or anything real inviting about the pool itself. I imagine that during their busy season finding space around the pool could be a problem but you can always just sit on the beach.

The bar at the hotel was just great !! They had live music during the day although it seemed to be the same person playing Jamaican type music. Plenty of TV’s around to watch sports. At night they had a different group playing live music and the one night the duo group was fantastic !! playing current hits. The female singer was awesome ! The bar staff is excellent and we enjoyed talking to all of them. We ate there both nights and I have to say the food is exceptional !! Outstanding food, worth every penny. The location of the hotel is perfect because it is a little away from the busier part of the beach and broadwalk (yes "broadwalk" not boardwalk) area yet close enough that you can just step out of the hotel onto the broadwalk and take a nice walk to the area with restaurants and shops. We did eat at some places along the broadwalk but found the atmosphere and food much better at the Marriott. Right next door to the Marriott there is a little tiki bar with live music also, a nice place to hang out.

The broadwalk is also a lot of fun. We enjoyed just walking back and forth and there are some great and reasonably priced places to eat along the way. Although there are a couple of bars along the way, the truth is there really are only a couple and we didn’t find any places that looked real inviting to just sit and hang out for awhile. We had the most fun hanging out at the Marriott Hollywood bar and downtown Hollywood as explained below.

We took the trolley one night to the downtown Hollywood area. This is highly recommended. Hollywood blvd in downtown has tons of bars, restaurants and shops. This is a great place to walk, eat and hang out. The trolley cost $1 per person and there is a stop right at the broadwalk that will take you back and forth to downtown. We had a great conversation with the driver who took good care of us on the way back (dropped us off right in front of the hotel).

The broadwalk has a lot of dated boutique hotels and the shops along the broadwalk are a little ..well …. dumpy. The area itself is not a “high end” area like Ft. Lauderdale but you will still have a lot of fun. I don’t know if I would want to spend a full week there since I think you would get a little tired of the limited variety along the broadwalk and downtown vs Ft. Lauderdale where there would be more to do but I highly recommend staying there.

The bottom line is that if the weather is going to cooperate and you are looking to just lay around at the beach and pool then Harbor Breach Resort is the place to go. You will love their pool and the beach and with a little effort, you can still venture outside to the populated places in Ft. Lauderdale. If you are looking to have some fun with a place you can hear live music, walk around with ease and people watch then Hollywood Marriott is the place to go. We ended up having much more fun at the Hollywood Beach hotel and will return although we will probably return to the Harbor Beach hotel someday too.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a corner ocean view room. It will have two balconies and views of everything...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mbateacher
Write a ReviewReviews (1,591)

Reviewed 10 December 2011

ask you for your room key go too the pool, they watch your every move from the pool , come in from the beach ask if your aguest, when go again too room more front desk people watching. very very unpleaseant experince, would not recommend like being in prision..

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank lisa b
marriottbeachfront, Manager at Hollywood Beach Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Thank you for your comments and for noting how well our security is, for we do value this since it is all about the guests and we want to ensure each and everyone of you experience a safe, secure vacation, business trip, wedding, or for any other reason you are here. Our pool is exclusively for you, not for just anyone.
Situated right on the beach and on the Hollywood Broadwalk, we have many people that would love to utilize our pool, and we have a system in place to make sure you, the guest, comes first.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here one night for an early flight the next day. What a great place! It's not too big, not too little and right on the beach. It was supposed to be just a stop over for us, but we'll go there again just because it was convenient and very nice. We were going to go out for dinner but since the restaurant has a pation facing the ocean, we decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised. So we did breakfast the next morning too and it was great too. The staff is very friendly, polite and helpful. We were very pleased.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We were blown away by how nice the staff was at this hotel. I don't think there was one single person that did not greet us with a smile, and ask us how they could help us during our entire stay. It was almost annoying, but clearly each person had a goal to do this for each guest. the hotel itself was decent. Quiet rooms, clean public areas, good location. the food for breakfast and lunch at the pool bar was great, but a little expensive as expected. We tried this hotel instead of the Harbor Beach property this time. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The boardwalk can be noisy, although the closer you are, the better the view. You will need to weig...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed here for one night. Thankfully. The room was attractive, until further inspection.
There were hundreds of tiny bugs, maybe ants, couldn't tell. Climbing the walls, roaming the bathroom floor. Just didn't feel very clean to me.

Since it was a jam packed weekend, I didn't feel like causing a stir. Wedding going on, Christmas parade outside, place was lively, energetic. Just hope they leave me alone while I am in bed.

Location great, food options a plenty. But, those little red bugs.

Room Tip: Find one without the red bugs
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank lefty713
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We have enjoyed staying at this Marriott several times and have been very happy. The front desk is very good and the restaurant is pretty good. The location couldn't be netter. About 10 steps from the beach. The only complaint is the housekeeping forgot to clean my room two days in a row and around 4:30 both days I had to call the front desk. This is unacceptable at a Marriott hotel. This hiccup won't prevent me from visiting again...but the housekeeping standards are a bit below par compared to the rest of the top staff..thanks

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We stayed 6 nights recently. Kevin at front desk provided excellent service, thanks. If you want Hollywood area, you cannot get a better location - right on the broadwalk (not boardwalk!) and a beautiful clean beach. Nicely updated older hotel with a good energy. Great for runners and joggers - there is even a long crushed shell trail. Rooms and pool area are small but workable. This area is not as upscale or flashy as other parts of Miami, but it is friendly and safe, and there is a sense of pride and cleanliness and history - lots of well preserved older buildings. Parking is well-controlled around here, so expect to pay $$ at this hotel or anywhere nearby. Food was good and there is a lively outdoor bar. Happy with the stay.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms are good unless on very low floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family