“Boardwalk Nirvana!!”

Hollywood Beach Marriott
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed 8 February 2009

As already underlined by many of the reviews don't be put off by the external appearance of this hotel when you arrive – you will discover the interior accommodations are typically mid-range Marriott. We thought our room, the view and location were great for a short stay – albeit all rooms only have very small balconies. We really enjoyed the boardwalk atmosphere, especially taking early morning coffee/breakfast right on the beach front. Bike rental is nearby (approx $10 hour) and the beach is great for family fun. The hotel offers a good selection of food in the main bar area but we were disappointed with the main restaurant menu and seating area - expensive, crowded with slow service so stick to breakfast, or the $10 options at the bar in the evening with a cold beer. Unfortunately there is a limited choice of restaurants nearby, this Marriott is probably the best, but a 10 minute drive into Hollywood provides a much better selection - certainly worth the drive or a short cab ride. If you rent a car there are several malls within 30 minutes. We stayed at this hotel for 5 days then drove down to Key West.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bucsal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed 5 February 2009

I travel frequently to the Caribbean and I was pleasantly surprised to arrive here on Hollywood beach and feel right at home. The water here is amazing! Just like you are looking out at the Caribbean Sea. The hotel is beautiful with a wonderful beach. The rooms are very plush with very comfortable sheets and deluxe down comforters. The maid was there to clean the room each morning. Each room had internet connection, I was able to mix a bit of business with pleasure. We purchased a package that included breakfast and the food was AMAZING! The buffet was stocked well and filled frequently. I did not ever encounter a wait or shortage of food.

The girls at the spa were wonderful. The facilities are very nice there, fresh fruit and drink offered, plush bath robes, etc.

There were not a lot of nice places to eat, we did have to travel a bit to find good seafood. There were plenty of places to get a quick sit down meal on the boardwalk which was a nice walk up the beach.

This hotel was an amazing getaway from the cold and I am looking forward to going again this year. A picture says a thousand words so check out the pictures I included.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funinthesun5
Reviewed 28 January 2009

You can tell if there's poor management in a hotel by the attitude of the staff. The staff at this Marriot are glum, not helpful and seem depressed. This is not a business hotel....the internet connection was the slowest I'd ever encountered (I even got a faster connection in Vietnam!) They have a non-customer friendly voucher system for breakfast, and you're in big trouble if you loose the vouchers (as I did)....I had to battle every day to obtain a new voucher / consume the items I was paying for! The rooms seem old. The whole place is tired.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank waddesdon
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Very nice hotel with beautiful view, access to boardwalk and comfy room. The room had a boutique style to it. Only reason I give it a four is because of the location. There is not too much to do in Hollywood and I wished I stayed closer to Miami.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank ratking23
Reviewed 9 January 2009

This hotel is a very nice facility. Everything at this location is brand new, all the furniture in the rooms including the lovely Marriott beds and bedding, just a total dream. I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

The location is great, right on the board walk. You can walk for hours, rent bikes, shop and eat. Speaking of eating, the restaurant in the hotel has an amazing breakfast as well.

Not sure if I would go here as a destination vacation stay, but it was a lovely surprise as a stopover hotel for my family and me.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank ccrew88
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Hotel rooms are beautiful. Balconies- but so small and glass. This hotel is non-stop action...not the kind of place to go if you are looking for space or a relaxing retreat. Pool gets crazy and hard to find a lounge chair if you don't get there early. Rooms are gorgeous. Really enjoyed the pool side service, the pool entertainment and in house starbucks. Parking is pay or valet.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank sunnydaygirl
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My husband and I go to Florida each winter to vacation with his parents. Last year we stayed at the Diplomat and had a great experience. The Hollywood Beach Marriott is closer to his parents so we stayed there this year and were very disappointed. We will not be back to this property again nor will be recommend it to anyone. I won't say it's an awful hotel or that it should be avoided at all costs or anything like that, but if you are expecting a very nice beachfront hotel or a high level of service, I think you will be disappointed and may want to consider another hotel in the area.

First let me say that I am a Diamond VIP Hilton Honors member and stay in hotels for work at least every other week. I generally prefer Hilton but I also stay at Marriott hotels frequently. I stay at a range of hotels in terms of stars and price and am familiar with the different chains' strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to categorize our dissatisfaction with this hotel it could come down to service, lack of attention to detail and practicality.

Overall, we found the hotel staff, particularly in the restaurant, to be quite rude. Smiles were hard to come by and very rarely were we asked how we were. We were never asked by anyone how our stay was.

Our package included the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It was awful. The food was not hot nor fresh any of the four days we dined there (we went at different times each day), the selection was not great if you don't eat eggs and there were smaller details, like rock hard butter that was covered in crumbs or completely gone, that made it seem very low-budget. Service in the restaurant was hard to come by and it didn't seem like any of the hosts/hostesses knew what was going on. On our first morning, there were lines of people waiting out the door while tables sat open and no host or hostess could be found anywhere. This was the case on two other days as well. Complicating matters was the fact that there is indoor and outdoor seating and there are separate hosts/hostesses for it. Our servers were hurried and simple requests like jam for my bagel or a spoon to stir my coffee with took 15-20 minutes to get fulfilled. On most occasions we simply got up to find things ourselves.

We also ate in the restaurant for lunch one day and it, too, was a poor experience. The food was overpriced, even by resort standards and very bad quality. It took 15 minutes for our server to come and take our food order once we were seated and an additional 35 for us to get our food. I ordered the margarita pizza and it arrived cold with hard congealed cheese. I sent it back uneaten and didn't want to wait another 40 minutes for a replacement. My husband ordered a quesadilla, which was essentially Velveeta or Kraft cheese slices melted in a tortilla. My brother in law ordered the club and it was dry and hard. Our server came to our table exactly once and was not apologetic about our experience.

The 'at your service' staff was only slightly better and this is where practicality enters my review. Our hotel room was very nice looking. The linens are nice, the furniture looks nice and the bathroom is very pretty. However, it's actually an impractical room in many ways. First of all, there is no full-length mirror. In fact, there is no mirror that will allow you to view past your waist. When I asked about this at the front desk, I was rudely informed that the women's room bathroom in the lobby had a full length mirror if I needed one. That's not very helpful if you are trying to get ready to go out at night. Second, the closet had just 6 hangers in it. That wouldn't have been so bad if there was drawer space for our clothes, but a full 2/3 of the very large dresser in the room was actually the safe and mini-bar, leaving just three small drawers to hold our clothes. I had to ask twice for more hangers to be sent to our room. We also had to ask for a hotel binder as we found only three pages of the room service menu sitting on our desk in lieu of the hotel information binder. Housekeeping did not replace it after our first day so I had to request one at the front desk. The room has a flat screen TV but it is poor quality and it took forever to change channels. Finally, when I booked my room and again when I checked in I informed them I was allergic to down and would need non-down linens and pillows. Someone came up with new pillows right away but I was informed that they were waiting for blankets and they would bring them up as soon as possible. When I called later to check they asked how late they could come up. I told them 1:00 AM thinking it would never take that long. At 12:30 AM I called again and they said they were sending some up. Two thin blankets were delivered to our room at 12:35 AM.

On the bright side, the bed is very comfortable and the shower in the room is very good as well. The hotel robes are not the hard terry cloth ones that you find in manyt hotels -- these were soft and comfortable.

The hotel has a nice pool but there are not enough chairs around it and by 9:00 AM each one had a towel on it marking it claimed by someone else. The hotel is right across the boardwalk from the beach and it nicely offers towels for guest use there. However, both times I went to get towels, I was informed they were out of them. On one day, they offered us hotel bath towels instead, which I appreciated.

The hotel 'business center' is laughable -- a bank of a couple computers -- and the fitness center, which I used several times, was nice but hardly state of the art as advertised. I did not use the highly touted spa but I understand it is supposed to be very nice.

It strikes me that the hotel is content to be an average property. The staff attitude and few amenities give the impression that it does not hold itself to the same high standards that most Marriotts I have been to do. For example, I've stayed at two Marriott hotels in New Orleans post-Katrina where you might expect they would have service issues or challenges and both hotels were near-perfect as far as service and amenities. My husband was guessing that our issues here may have been because the hotel was booked solid that the service and attention to detail were lacking but in the economy I think that's a poor excuse. Also, knowing that this is the busy season, I would think the hotel would plan for that.

All in all, for a vacation property, this hotel is not a good choice. If you are looking for a hotel based on location in Hollywood and are less concerned with a solid hotel experience, I think it could be good. Also, perhaps if you are not going during the busy season you may not have the same service issues.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple