“Ran out of food”
Review of Salt Rock Grill

Salt Rock Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Rock Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This beach landmark is legendary, and it’s still on fire with a burning passion for delectable food, enticing drink and pleasurable surroundings. For an evening of fine dining, elegant atmosphere, superior service and genuine hospitality, Salt Rock Grill is your destination.Come by land or sea and enjoy the finest dining location in Tampa Bay.St. Petersburg Times–"The first modern surf and turf joint on the beaches still packs them in with red-hot, straight-ahead cooking. Steaks are first-rate, lobsters monstrous, wine cellar deep, seafood and fish souped up in spicy broth. The unexpected treats are root vegetables, lentils and smart spicing"
Reviewed August 21, 2017

We were six girl friends celebrating a birthday. This restaurant came highly recommended by a local. We were there on a Saturday night around 830 pm and they had already run out a lot of the selections. My first choice Salmon was not available. Nor was Grouper . Basically they had only one type of fish available. They had also run out of the filet sliders. Most of us in the party had to make another selection due to unavailability. That being said, all the selections we made were very good. My bacon wrapped scallops and crab portobello were enormous and delicious. The specialty cocktail of the evening was a hit with all of us. I would definitely go back and try it again.

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Salt Rock Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed your options and look forward to having you all back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,689)

Reviewed August 21, 2017

My family decided to come here for brunch on our last day before the flight home. As my daughter's last request was a burger, I phoned the day before. I said I had seen their Brunch menu but there were no burgers on it, and would it possible for her to order one anyway. At this point they could have said 1. we don't do brunch (in which case why is there a brunch menu on the site) and 2. we don't do burgers. Instead we turned up and were seated in a lovely area overlooking the intracoastal and given menu's. When I queried that there was no brunch menu I was told they didn't do brunch, I said there was a brunch menu on the site and the waitress seemed quite puzzled and apologised. Undeterred, we decided we could order something, however when my daughter asked whether they did burgers they said no. At this point we left and went down the road to The Pub. Get your facts straight on your site and get your staff to get their facts straight on the phone. It was very disappointing to be given the wrong information and we won't be back when we return to the area.

Reviewed August 21, 2017

Our group went here for a birthday celebration and weren't disappointed. The seafood was fresh and well prepared, and the menu had unique items we haven't found at other beach town eateries. The only problem we had was the server was somewhat slow; we're not sure why - it was a Sunday night and the place wasn't that crowded. Also, our seating was in a room with poor acoustics so it was hard to hear others in our party. If you're adventurous w/your eating and enjoy seafood, this is the place to go.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back!

Reviewed August 19, 2017

We decided to take my sister to Salt Rock Grill for our last meal of this trip she's never been before and we're never disappointed with this place. We arrived on time and were taken to a table in the room to the left of the bar area, I asked for another table as I wanted it to feel special and that room isn't. We were relocated to a table by the windows overlooking the water, so much better even though it was dark.

This place is so nice, the atmosphere is always perfect, it's always busy and the food never disappoints. My sister and her husband had steak dinners, my wife cedar plank salmon, our niece had chicken and I had the Soft Shell Crab. They all came with salad which is always tasty and we enjoyed it with some cocktails. We ordered a reasonably priced bottle of wine for dinner that we've had there before and it's good value.

Our food was hot, cooked to perfection and we enjoyed a really good evening. The only food that wasn't perfect was the chicken, it was just a little bland but our niece also didn't want the mushroom sauce that it came with. This place is so good and it's less than 5 miles from home. We look forward to any special occasion to come back and visit.

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Salt Rock Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2017

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We appreciate your detailed feedback! We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2017

Visited the Salt Rock last evening with party of six. Family of four visiting from Chicago and two of us, now locals living in Gulfport. The reservation was handled efficiently made several days in advance. Upon arriving for an early dinner at 5pm we were seated promptly and soon greeted by Kevin (Our server) as our guest arrived. So far, everything was fine. Incidentally, because of the early hour, we self parked, almost at the door.
The menu is extensive with multiple printed sheets including the "early bird" selections. Kevin answered questions and explained many of the menu choices and took drink orders. Most of our party ordered off the "early bird". The food was delivered in a reasonable time. Here is where the disappointments began.. most of our party started with the Caesar Salad. The salad was embarrasing, dry lettuce one layer deep with three croutons on a very small plate. Kevin proceeded around the table offering 'ground pepper' but had to be very quick so as not to quickly over power the few lettuce leaves on the plate. Drinks were served including my unsweetened ice tea. Soon the entrees arrived and were served by other staff. I ordered the "fish kabob with baked potato. I was told before hand that would be about 3 ounces of fish (Grouper). There were three tiny pieces on the skewer along with a baked potato about the size of a tennis ball. The plates were not garnished or in any way decorated to enhance the appearance. My partner had ordered a stuffed salmon dish which she later described as tasteless and "tiny." I really didn't notice what others were eating. The "early bird" included dessert, so soon after our dinner plates were cleared, "Tiny" little cups were delivered and placed in front of each person. The cups contained the same unidentifiable concoction of "something" ? We were never asked if anyone actually wanted these little surprises. They were obviously put down quickly to fulfill the menu inclusion of dessert. At this point, one got the impression we were at a low end catered wedding.. the only thing missing was the "Chicken a la King". Even at a catered Chamber of Commerce Dinner, I would be offered fresh iced tea.. but not here, at the "early bird". To my knowledge, we were never thanked for dining and ignored once the check was presented. All in all, having dined all around the Tampa Bay area, the Salt Rock is now off my future list. They must cater to a "drinking crowd" and tourists.. who really enjoy the view more than the food. Of course, this restaurant obviously does not want to offer an "Early Bird" menu and would be well advised just to remove it, rather than serve a mediocre meal, regardless of the price. Upon leaving the dining area, I could not help but notice the "poor" display of chilled meats/fish in a prominent case. I say poor because the case was nearly empty with a pathetic display of food. Instead of an abundant display of seasonal iced fish and seafood with some lobsters, crabs and shellfish of all varieties, it contained I think... a couple of pieces something (Un-appealing ). The foyer area did not smell fresh or inviting, but rather had a heavy smoke odor. The staff, are all neat and well uniformed and the restaurant as a whole was clean. The valet parking (complimentary) would be a good touch at most hours. Having dined at the Salt Rock before on a couple of occasions, I was always seated outdoors on the deck at lunch with an ordinary experience. Last evening it would have been far too hot to sit on the deck.
So, I hope this helps others... We will stay in Gulfport where the restaurants are abundant, the sea food plentiful and fresh, the prices reasonable with ambiance and service good. The Tampa Bay area is loaded with good, attractive restaurants and we enthusiastically suggest downtown / waterfront St. Petersburg for fun dining.

3  Thank Gary I
BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Salt Rock Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your honest opinions. Our owner Frank Chivas would like the opportunity to speak with you direct regarding your unpleasant experience. He has asked that you connect with him via cell or email (whichever you prefer) - he can be reached at 727-480-6704 or frank@tbi.net - Thank you in advance!