“Authentic MARYLAND Crab Cakes!!”
Review of Marlin Moon Grille - CLOSED

Marlin Moon Grille
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Eat Drink Fish!! Is a perfect slogan for this fine casual dining spot. The cozy bar is lively with a cast of characters in front of and behind the bar, which was made to resemble the transom of a sport fishing boat, "The Pretty Work" from Islamorada, FL. The signature adult beverage is the Orange Crush. You gotta try one!! Food wise it's all about the Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes, fresh local Mayport seafood with beef, pork and chicken options available. Marlin Moon Grille was the recipient of the 2009 People's Choice, Restaurant Association of Maryland's Favorite Restaurant Award before relocating to Jax Beach.
Reviewed 12 February 2016

After living in South Florida for 20 years and Atlantic Beach for 6 months, I had all but given up on ever eating authentic Maryland crab cakes again. After receiving a flyer in the mail from Marlin Moon Grille with a Maryland flag and a picture of crab cakes, I decided to apprehensively order them tonight. Chef Mark's crab cakes are without a doubt the very best MARYLAND crab cakes I have ever tasted. Living in Maryland for most of my life, I consider myself a connoisseur of this seafood delicacy. Mark's crab cakes brought back fond memories of the cakes I ate in Ocean City, Maryland many years ago. Of course they do, Mark is from all places Ocean City! Enough said :)

1  Thank NancyLee2014

Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

Outstanding service and delicious food. We had crab cakes and the blackened Mahi. The dining area/decor could use some updating, but definitely no complaints about the food.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

We went for my birthday dinner this past Wednesday. We got the tuna nachos to start which were veryyyy yummy (small portion). For the main, I got blackened mahi which had a couple shrimp on top, cheddar grits and spinach. I asked if I could switch the spinach for asparagus and our server said yes but it still came out with spinach. The fish was good and the grits were pretty good too. Obviously, I'm not a fan of spinach. My boyfriend got the wahoo with mango salsa. He enjoyed it. I didn't think it was great. The green beans and rice that came with it weren't very fresh tasting (to me). The fish was dry but she did warn us wahoo tends to be more of a steaky fish. I'm no fish expert. I ordered 2 cocktails which were both not very good. They didn't really taste like there was alcohol in them, more just that syrupy sweet taste. It's a cute little local type place inside. The server was very friendly and quite funny sometimes but I often think American service it a bit over the top.

Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

In Jacksonville for a business vacation and decided to take a break from work to have a really good lunch. We explored places on Tripadvisor and found the Marlin Moon rated as one of the top seafood restaurants in the area. When we arrived we were very nervous as the parking lot was nearly empty and the place looked a little run down. We noticed the sign on the door said "open" so we figured "what the heck " let's give it a try. We were greeted by the bartender who assured us into the seating area adjacent to the bar. She was very nice and made several recommendations. Stephanie ordered a Pinot Grigio (Peanut Gorgio) and I tried a local brew called John Boat Ale. The wine was just a regular house wine that was good with food but not really that great by itself. The beer was really tastey and I was impressed that it was made right here in Jacksonville Florida. We started off by splitting an order of the seared tuna nachos. This was a fantastic choice! The nachos were covered with a seaweed salad, teriyaki glaze, and drizzled with a wasabi cucumber aioli. Next we split a Chesapeake chicken sandwich, which consisted of a very nicely prepared seared chicken breast topped with crab meat and cheese and bacon! We ordered this with the sweet potato waffle fries which were perfectly fried and exhibited a deep rich red orange color. Beautiful presentation. We would definitely go back and order this same lineup again. We would recommend that whoever visits the restaurant after reading this post keeps an open mind despite the condition of the parking lot. Go inside and enjoy this rare North Florida treat.

Reviewed 23 November 2015

Someone from Maryland told me about Marlin Moon Grille and that that there was some tie there with authentic Chesapeake Bay Seafood cuisine. And they were right. I used to go to Baltimore on business and have compared their prepared seafood, especially crab cakes, to those around the country. Marlin Moon has the best outside of Baltimore, bar none.