“Quite disaqppointing for a Joe's Crab Shack”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Joe's Crab Shack brings fresh seafood, authentic flavors and Southern coastal flair to locations all across America. Joe's menu features crab, fish, lobster, mussels, clams and shrimp.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've eaten at Joe's before - many years ago in the DFW area; it was great. This time, this one...was so-so.

They weren't too busy this evening - it was about 8:30. There were a couple of big tables with birthday parties - maybe that was the distraction.

We got seated...and waited...and waited...and waited. The hosts were back in the vicinity of their station and a couple of them were obviously goofing around with each other - they weren't busy. There were plenty of servers available for the first 'happy birthday table festivity we watched. And we waited. Finally, after a good 10-15 minutes (yeah, really!) my partner got up and went to the host station and told them we hadn't been attended to. There was a bit of a scurry and a couple of minutes later a young gal came to the table. Her first question? "Has anyone taken care of you yet?"

She asked if we wanted anything to drink - my buddy got a beer, I stuck with water. She asked if we wanted appetizers - we said no, and added that we were ready to order. She took the order. The water and beer came within a few minutes. Then we waited...and waited...and waited. We each commented on how long it was taking and were about ready to give up when I saw her coming out of the kitchen with our order. It had been a much longer-than-average time by then. She served us and told us she would be back with my garlic bread - it never came. She did ask if I wanted any seafood sauce (I did) and she brought it out within about 3 minutes. But no garlic bread.

I already noted that my Steamer order (clams, mussels, shrimp) was not 'steaming' as I would have expected. It wasn't 'cold' but certainly wasn't HOT!. Between not being able to get her - or anyone's attention and not really wanting to wait any longer for a hot order I ate the Steamer order anyway. It was excellent, as I'd hoped, but still wasn't right because it wasn't as hot as it should have been. The server slipped by the table one time a while later - it was a low-speed-fly-by, certainly not a 'concerned check.' They did have at least two more happy birthday table events - so there were plenty of crew there to handle all activity; they just weren't on the ball.

We had to gain attention to request the check.

Positive: the food tasted good
Negative: interminable wait for initial contact; longer-than-average wait for the food; warm - not HOT food when it got there; garlic bread with my order; literally no follow-up table attention.

Will I go back? Based only on the fact that Joe's is (or at least used to be) better than this, and the menu is right-up-my-alley, probably yes. But I'll surely hope the service is better, the food is hotter, all of it is served, and maybe - that they're busy. They used to be better than this when they were running flat-out.

1  Thank Antiquetuck

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Visited Joe's for dinner on a Saturday night. It was crowded but we were seated within a few minutes. Emerald, our waitress, was very cordial and extremely knowledgeable about the menu. Her continued service throughout our meal was unsurpassed. The meals were outstanding. A great place to go for a relaxing atmosphere and outstanding food.

Reviewed October 10, 2018

Sit inside if you want to FREEZE, sit outside if you want to learn to fence with the various seagulls and pigeons seeking food... Crab boils are excellent with a decent mix of veggies, crab and shrimp... beverages are average and the tourist store is in full swing. Dont forget to steal your crab crackers from "This was stolen from Joe's Crab Shack" baked into the handle. Great for singles, couples and family size gatherings... I rated 3 stars which is average, not bad and not very good... just average... between the price and the crazy slow service... The food/kitchen is great.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

We had not been there in about two years, so we decided to stop for lunch: bad idea! While the beer and the waiter were good, the salad with fish and the seafood platters were not!
the crab legs overcooked and dry inside, the calamari while tender inside, were encrusted in thick breading with no flavor! The rest of the food was mediocre!
Anyway, we used to enjoy this place years ago, but it will be a looong time before we try it again!

Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

We had reservations for a party of nearly twenty. Our server was amazing, never skipped a beat. Drinks never ran out, food came out fairly quickly for such a large party! The servers all came out and did a fun little line dance to the tune of "car wash". Overall a great place to dine! Fun atmosphere right on the water. Nice deck for outside seating as well. Would definitely visit again! All the kids loved the little sharks!