“Missed this place!”
Review of Azul del Mar

Azul del Mar
Ranked #4 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I have stayed at Azul three times with my wife, the last time in 2009. We would love to have returned but work took a dip and there was always the problem of getting the last two of our children looked after (Azul is adults only). So the years have slipped past and we haven't had a chance to revisit Azul, despite best intentions (we'd come twice a year if we could).

A recent lengthy business trip to various cities in the USA found me needing to be in Miami for the last four days. I contacted Dominic at Azul and he managed to find me space to spend my last two nights at Azul. I leapt at the chance, despite travelling alone. I was so pleased to discover that little had changed and that paradise still exists. My wife and I are now determined to return for a good long vacation stay.

We love the peace and tranquility of Azul, the neat grounds, the tiki huts, the dock, the sea. We have stayed in three of the six apartments at Azul and they are all good. Obviously Royale is the best, but the two upstairs apartments have a great view out to the bay and are more than sufficient size-wise for two people.

A review of Azul would be incomplete without mentioning and thanking Dominic and his team. It's only my opinion, but nothing needs to change at Azul.

Room Tip: Got to have a sea view if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent adults only hotel, designer boutique feel, great decor has its own beach and full sunset view, we snorkelled straight off the beach around the marina edges and saw Barracuda, snapper and parrot fish. Only 5 minutes from John Penningcamp national park.This would be the first place on my list when I go back to Key Largo, wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Where to begin... the place is so serene, catering to adults , with wonderful staff. Our room had a partial ocean view and a small patio/hammock area right outside. The resort has a private dock , offering many excursions if you so desire. The beds are so comfortable, and the whole place pristine !! Dominic was so helpful with everything, offering us info on local places to eat or visit. This place is a paradise in itself, and I would recommend it to anyone- actually did last night. We even preferred Azul in Key Largo , compared to places in Key West. It is so much quieter .... Key West is way too crowded. We will see you again on our next trip!

Room Tip: Any room here would be amazing, garden or ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Let me start by saying the hotel itself was nice, the grounds were lovely, along with the view and the hotel room (Celeste) was clean and spacious.

I was, however, extremely disappointed in our customer service experience with Ana, the resident staff member. We had driven down and arrived earlier than check in (around 2:20pm) and stopped into the office. We were told that our room was not ready, but she assured us it wouldn't be "too long". We walked over and had a drink at the bar a few doors down and then came back around 3:40pm, figuring check in was at 4pm. When we stopped back at the office, Ana informed us our room was STILL not ready and it may not be ready until after 4pm. When I asked about the check in sign on the door and what the Bookings.com email said, she became very curt, bordering on nasty, and said I should have booked directly with them and then I would have known. At no point did she offer to hold our bags, a bottle of water, a restroom, or any other small amenity for the inconvenience/delay. She did hand us 2 beach towels and told us to go sit by the water to wait. During the wait, I did contact Booking.com (who we used) and asked if I had misread the check in time. They assured me that no, 4pm was what indicated. I went back to the office at 4:20 pm and was once again told our room was still not ready along with a shoulder shrug. The explanation I was given was "I can't give you a room that's not ready." and "it just isn't ready." I was told actual check in was "anytime after 4pm, however, the sign on the door and the flyer in our room (which we would later see) indicated 4pm as the check in time. I understand things happen-running behind, late check outs ,etc....but to argue with a guest about a check in time that is posted on the door and become rude just is not the way to go. We also had a back and forth over the rental of the paddle boards which we ended up missing out on being able to use during our trip. Our room was finally available to us at 4:45pm and like I said earlier, it was clean and spacious.

As a frequent traveler, I have high expectations when it comes to customer service-simple kindness and the demonstration of patience with the guests-goes a long way, especially when staying at local/small hotels. It is the customer service and little touches that make them stand out from the large chains. Unfortunately, this was NOT my experience at Azul Del Mar and I would not plan a return stay.

Boutique hotel or not, customer service should always be the number one priority.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
AzulManagement, Owner at Azul del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

At Azul del Mar we work hard to accommodate every guest whenever they arrive. Remember check-in is at 4 and check-out at 11am.

However, as tourism trends towards more “one night stays” this has resulted in guests arriving earlier and wanting to stay later - which is not always possible.

Never was it more evident than this July 4th weekend when every room bar one checked out, new guests began arriving early and, as luck would have it, our first guests to arrive were paired with the last room ready!

We apologize right here and now if an early check-in is not available but patience on both sides of the Reservation Desk is required.

We have an extra bathroom available, we can find you some iced water and of course we have beach towels and a place where you may change. You only have to ask.

However, this guest inquired about our Cancellation Policy – which seemed like an extreme way to apply pressure – given the fact they arrived two hours early!

In a regular-type hotel situation we could simply have offered them our first available room but Azul del Mar is not set up like that. All our boutique suites are unique and matched to each guest.

On this day all rooms were ready for check-in before guests arrived – except this one of course – completed 30 minutes late!

We’re not perfect, but between check-out & check-in we are at our busiest, refreshing the property to maximize your experience. And if you arrive early, surely an extra half hour wait overlooking the water and Everglades’ National Park is not too much to ask on a holiday weekend.

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

I can't tell anyone or describe it enough to do it justice --- but the property, location, grounds and onsite team was great! We paddle boarded -- we sat by the water and watched the sunset -- we loved our room and felt as if we had our own private paradise! Highly recommend. Would stay again and again.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

Set in a secluded location this is a piece of paradise. Rooms were adequately furnished although my one grumble would be no iron and ironing board was in the room but thats a small sacrifice.
Location wise this is within walking distance to bars and restaurants, we were fortunate to be staying over a music fest which made for a lively evening.
Management was very helpful too and we will definitely be back!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2017

My husband and I have stayed at the Azul Del Mar at Christmas, our anniversary in August and by myself in May. The climate is near prefect all year round.
I'm a bit prejudice. We stay at the Azul Del Mar and scuba dive right next store at Amy State's dive shop. It's the best of both world.
AZEL del Mar does provide water sport equipment, such as kayaks, which are great for paddling around the margo grove and visiting with Manatee.
This is a wonderful hide-a-way

Room Tip: We prefer the left upstairs apartment and the front left downstairs apartment. The owners and staff...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple