“What a gem! Can't wait to go back.”
Review of Bahama Gardens

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bahama Gardens
Boston MA
“What a gem! Can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I just returned from a wonderful long weekend in Key West with 6 high school girlfriends. Bahama Gardens was the perfect spot for us - centrally located, great pool, plenty of space. We stayed in the main house - 4 bedrooms and a pull out couch - and had plenty of room for 7 women and all their stuff. The house is a short walk from a great beach - Fort Zach - and an even shorter walk to great bars and restaurants. John the property manager was very helpful and full of great tips for things to do around the island.
I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank cmbassett

Solo
Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We just celebrated our wedding in Key West on New Year's Eve. We needed housing for our guests/family. We were very pleased with the accomodations at the Bahama Gardens. We rented the Main House and Conch House for a week., 8 and 4 guests respectively stayed. Plenty of room. Best part according to our guests was the location of the property. One block away from the beach, 2 blosks away from Duval St. Meanwhile neighboorhood was very quiet. Only negative might be the roosters crowing in the early hours, but no way to avoid it in Key West. Part of the charm of Key West I guess. Would definately recommend this place especially if needing a larger group for a wedding. Very reasonable cost wise as well.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
jersey
Reviewed 31 July 2009

in april 2008 we signed a lease for jan-mar 2009 In may 2008 we bought a house in key West and tried to contact the owner. I say tried because he would not respond to multiple calls or letters. When we have rented in Fl keys in the past there has always been a cancellation policy. There is none at Bahama Gardens - this is the Roach motel.... All sublets must go through the landlord and there is a rental fee you pay for this plus cleaning fees etc and we were even charged a $100 breakage fee for a tv cable for a tv we never used .... When we rented in 2008 the house was a little 'as is' but the grounds were nice, In 2008 we had a verbal promise from the owner work was going to work on things we were unhappy with(like intermitant hot water, washing machine, window air conditioner right behind the couch etc...) but In 2009 the place was more 'as is' e.g. the shower still had intermitant hot water - and now the grounds needed to be maintained. All I can say there are many rentals in KW keep looking- it was our 15K mistake. Read the contract carefully. Pls don't make the same mistake. The place is for sale maybe that is why it isn't being maintained.
Since we didn't need the 2009 reservation and we could not rent the place, we let family stay free - my sister-in-law tried to clean the back deck, washed the rugs, cleaned the grill .. they left early. That says it all.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jerseyjoan
Arlington Heights IL
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Bahama Gardens is a gem of a property, I almost don't want to tell you about it, and save it for my closest friends.

I've been going to Key West for 30 years and so much of the authentic experience has been replaced with the Hyatts and Hiltons. The scale of the construction has been good for the economy but bad for anyone wishing to get a piece of the Caribbean lifestyle without the expense of flying 4 hours further south.

Fortunately I found this little compound, Bahama Gardens, in the authentic and as-yet-not-overdeveloped neighborhood of Bahama Village. It's still a relatively quiet little neighborhood, with mostly owner occupied houses and roosters crowing in the morning. How did this neighborhood escape the over-development?! You could not get more centrally located. Two blocks from Duval Street, two blocks from the best beach (at the fort), two blocks from the Green Parrot and only one block from Blue Heaven (even though I prefer the Dennis Island cafe across Petronia Street -- again, more authentic and less expensive) .

The property is really a compound of 5 houses that range from small (think small hotel suite) to a full sized 4 bedroom house (just one of these). The houses share the beautiful grounds that have great flowers and plantings and also a nice pool and a hot tub -- which was great for those cool nights while I was there in February. There are brick walkways and white picket fences. The place has a ton of charm.

From the outside, the houses look pretty much like they did when they were built 100 years ago (due to strict restrictions in the renovations) but inside they have been completely renovated with modern finishes and amenities. I stayed in the Turtle house which had granite and lots of glass -- glass shelving in the kitchen, glass table in the dining area, very nice. Over all, I would say the insides have a very personal feel, like you are staying at a friends home with tasteful decor, not sterile or banal as found in the Hiltons and Hyatts. Frankly some of the artwork was so nice I was surprised the owner risked it in a rental property.

Still, the property is not for everyone. You won't get amenities of a hotel like room service or daily freshening of the sheets and towels, or even someone else to make your bed. And most of the sleeping areas are in lofts (which sacrifice some privacy, and not good for anyone who can't climb a ladder or is too inebriated to do it safely). The Main house is the exception, all 4 bedrooms are regular bedrooms, not lofts.

You'll share the commons areas (like the gas grill) with the others on the property. If you are lucky like we were, these will be friendly people and you may find yourself looking forward to sharing some wine with these guests at poolside every evening. Because we became friends with these other guests, we got to see the insides of 2 of the other houses. Both the Cigar House and Conch house were, like the Turtle house, very tasteful and comfortable.

There's a few other benefits -- free wifi on the property, which saved me about $200 from having to pay a hotel their daily internet rates. Unfortunately I had to work a couple hours each days while I was in Key West. I did my work at poolside. Small price to pay to be in paradise.

Also, I found the property has one phone line for guests' use with an unlimited calling package. Now I have cell phone with plenty of minutes and free long distance, so I didn't use this phone, but the guests in the Conch house were from Italy and I think they were calling Europe for free!

There's cheaper places to stay on the island -- but for the money, here you'll pay about the same as nice hotel but you will have access to a nice kitchen, which will allow you to fix a meal or two and this translates into some good savings. I recommend picking up some fresh fish for the grill. You don't have to do much to get fish on the grill to taste great, add some yellow rice, and vegetables (also on the grill) and Cuban bread. Wow! I'm hungry. (There's several options for fresh fish -- ask the fellow who manages the property about where to go.)

If you decide you want to stay here, just one thing -- don't take my weeks at the Turtle House. I have not one, but two more trips already planned back to Bahama Gardens.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank windycity_dude
Dublin
Reviewed 19 March 2009

My husband and I visited Key West for the first time in 2008 and we were lucky enough to have found this lovely little place just enough off the beaten path of Duval Street, but close enough to all that everyone looks to experience while visiting the historic city. We stayed in the Cigar House within the Bahama Gardens compound and it was a quaint, clean and spacious cottage offering everything you need to make your stay comfortable. We really enjoyed the privacy of the grounds, not to mention the beauty of the gardens which are very well maintained. Also, Jerry, who maintains the property, can offer a wealth of information about Key West and where to dine, visit, drink, or people watch! The location is perfect...and safe. Close to the beach (we walked) and really close to Duval street - 2 blocks! There is not one negative thing I can say about the Bahama Gardens!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I booked Bahama Gardens for our wedding party. We rented the main house and the cigar house. We loved the pool, grill and all the other ammenities! The location is ideal too. We were close to just about everything and what was great was that we saved money on food and had a place we could rest and congregate throughout our week. 30 people came to Key West and of all the accomodations, Bahama Gardens surpassed all other rentals!
Thanks for making our wedding stressfree, fun and special!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
orlando
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I do not think that i can say enough about the quality of the main house, the kindness of the owners and ass., the great location, and the property. You will have to get use to the roosters, but that is part of the whole Key West experience.

Don’t let the smallish square footage of the house fool you, the house is so well laid out that it has MORE than enough room for 8 people! The warp around porches and open pool area makes it the both spacious and intimate. You are so close to the action of Duval you can ALMOST hear its heartbeat but with the amazing landscape you are 100% secluded from it. The Owner was present for a good portion of the trip and was not only knowledgeable but a great person. He had a caretaker present that was also just a great person. They both contributed to the feeling of community that you really want to feel in Key West. I will recommend this house to anyone and everyone. If you take care of the house and it fits in your budget, you will not find a better place to stay In Key West....Or anywhere!

• Liked — Huge property, well maintained, close to action, landscape gave amazing privacy
  • Disliked — roosters, only 2 baths (1 shower)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jestercrescent