New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Needs attention now!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oasis Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oasis Guesthouse
Ranked #81 of 85 Key West B&B and Inns
Rockville Maryland
“Needs attention now!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a week in Feb. 2012. I had been here several years ago and things have gone downhill fast. Our room had a bed that sagged in the middle, The shower door leaked, the cleaning staff didn’t come around until late in the afternoon (there is a staffing problem on the island apparently), wood was rotting, carpets needed cleaning, the whole complex just needs a good going over and sprucing up. There is only one reason I would consider returning; the guests. The loyal guys who return year after year keep this place alive and make it worth a visit.

There were several discussions from a group of regulars about the declining facility and what to do next. The answer was to go in mass to another guest house. We’d go with them.

Whoever owns this place needs to get a clue. Put some money back into the property and you’ll have a profitable business for years to come. Otherwise, bye bye…..

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rockville_Roamer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ftelia, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great location and awesome guests, but if you have allergies or you are a clean freak, beware. Half an inch of dust on ceiling fans, stained carpets, sticky shower floors, air conditioning that is variable, rotting wood, musty rooms, refrig that doesn't work, etc.. It's unfortunate. It use to be the premier place. It still gets awesome guests out of loyalty, the grounds are nice and it is not a bath house.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank GayFreqTrvlr

Travellers are raving about these Key West hotels

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've been coming here for 10 years. The place is classic. Nice rooms. Great staff. Friendly guests. The pool areas are quite nice. Free frozen drinks every afternoon by the pool and happy hour early evening. Wide variety of rooms - never had a bad one.

• Stayed February 2012
Sewanee, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

MY partner and I spent the night of January13,2012 at the oasis the room stunk the dust was one inch thick and the plumbing did not work .we checked out early the next mornig and found another place . The management is lousy cleaning people are lazy the amenities are not as advertised . I stayed there for a week in 1998 and it was truely a resort top notch it is now barely above a flop house

Room Tip: STAY elsewhere!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jim G
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Booked the Oasis (1 of 3 properties that all go together) with a friend for our first trip to Key West. It turned out to be a lovely place to stay. I met a group of men there who have been enjoying the property for over 10 years and had a great week with them. My friend & I didn't have any issues with the breakfasts which is basic continental - nothing cooked - or the evening h'or d'oeurves - nothing special but edible and nice to have while sitting around the pool talking. The afternoon drinks by the pool were available everyday but one (I guess they forgot) and were just basic frozen margaritas in a plastic cup. Worked fine for me!!

This is not to say there weren't problems. They have many cats at the Oasis so beware if you have allergies (like I do). They offered to move me to a room at the Coral across the street but I was fine after my medication kicked in. Also, I had white ants in my room. They sprayed the room every other day to make sure they didn't come back. The rooms have definitely seen better days. They were cleaned everyday, though one of the cleaning guys was not very thorough so I always hoped he wouldn't get my room. The guys who run the place (and own it, I think) are not the friendliest but they weren't rude, just not as outgoing as I would have liked. Most people from the other two properties end up poolside at Oasis as it seems to have the biggest pool area and gets the most sun. I had one of the small side rooms which worked fine with me (even though the bathroom was as big as my bedroom!). My friend had one of the top floor rooms which was much larger and quite nice. He was able to lounge outside his room as the sun went down and still get rays.

The walk into town is easy and nice. The gay scene didn't impress me at all, though. Most of the gay bars are filled with straight women and most of the dancers had a straight vibe that turned me off quickly. The drag show in town was horrendous - worst thing I have ever had to sit through. We did a Blu Q sail and it was fantastic. I highly recommend the sunset cruise. The main thing to do is sit at the pool and go out to one of the many fine restaurants in town. Overall, the trip was exactly what I was looking for and Oasis was a lovely place to spend time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tmgmdny
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My partner Joe and I stayed in the Oasis for a week in September 2011 and had a great time. It was our second stay at the resort. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We opted for a premier king room which was spacious and very clean. The air conditioning was excellent and very much needed at this time of year as it was very warm. Key West is just beautiful. With it's tropical vegetation and surrounded by the turquoise sea, it is heaven on earth. We had a wonderful time in the Oasis and we look forward to going back there in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denis_Ireland
strasbourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

The place itself, as a whole is very nice: different pools at different temperatures, and a lot of space. Friendly customers too.
However, although the rooms are very expensive, they have never been renovated, it is really getting old...if not dirty. Ten years later, same furniture, same bed spreads, same closets litterally falling apart, same bathroom equipments looking very old if not simply broken.
When something goes wrong, you can be sure that no matter what, you will have to ask again and again, because the staff doesn't seem to care at all. They don't seem to care about cleaning the place either. Many times, at 8 AM, for breakfast, you have to clean your table yourself, because the staff PRETEND not to see the french fries or cigarettes sitting there since the day before, or glasses and cans sitting on the floor for several days! I had to get rid of them myself, and insist that a cleaning person would clean my table! Having breakfast among the garbage from the previous day is not a good experience, and it happened several times. Will not go back there again, although i tried several times, hoping it would get better over the years...but on the contrary. Waste of money and energy, plus big frustration.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple