“Will recommend and repeat”

Merlin Guest House Key West
Ranked #34 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Wilmington, NC
“Will recommend and repeat”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

You really cannot beat the location of this Inn. The office staff was very friendly. My husband and I were in our 20's, we were a little young for the crowd. We stayed in an economy roof, certainly had no frills, but was clean and well priced for where it is. Despite being one block off Duval, it was quiet at night. A little nosier in the morning with the morning cleanup crews rolling by. Breakfast was also, no frills, but sufficient.

1 Thank ktsaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Burlington
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights, Jan. 22 & 23/12. Even though we arrived early our room was ready. The room was very relaxing and comfortable, having a small deck to sit out on was a bonus that we enjoyed. The continental breakfast included fruit, juice, cereal, yogurt, bagels, english muffins and a variety of bread for toast. What else can you ask for in a continental breakfast! Being able to sit in the courtyard having your breakfast and mingling with the staff and other guests was the perfect way to start the day. The courtyard was extremely relaxing whether you wanted to swim in the pool, read, socialize with other guests or lay in the hammock and watch the chickens you left feeling very refreshed. The location is perfect, we left our car parked on the street and walked everywhere. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Havertown, Pa
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Spent a long weekend with 19 friends from Havertown PA at the Merlin Guesthouse. We stayed in a 2 story 2 bedroom one bath cottage, very nice accomodations. Great location, one block off Duval, never used a car, walked everywhere. The employees were great to deal with. I enjoy staying in a different atmosphere than a hotel, especially in Key West, and that has its good and bad points. Clean, neat, no major complaints. I have stayed at fancier guesthouses, but that is the only reason I give 4 instead of 5 rating. I would stay there again although I'd like to try other guesthouses in Key West.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street rooms, I hear they are noisy, but we had no noise troubles.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pinboy
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 12 February 2012

The Merlin is located in the old town of Key West and is within walking distance of all of the sights, the harbor, and restaurants in old town. As in all of old town parking is at a premium. I was fortunate to find a parking space next to the Guesthouse and did not move my car until I was ready to leave. The Guesthouse is an historic property with all of its charm but pleasant rooms with up-to-date bathrooms, comfortable beds, and AC. The continental breakfast is minimalist, but served on the patio next to the pool. My only complaint was the room I was in faced the street and the noise of the cars going by was distracting.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This is European review...;)

I have been in Key West many times, and prices against quality aint what you can usually
get in KW.
There is huge amount of places that try to get you in, but quality doesn't usually comes within it.

This Place is nicely run, welcoming people, not trying to offer you more than you get.

Close to Duval, so you get your restaurants and drinks. No screaming cocks in site, which i loved, cause they usually wake you up at 6 am. ;)

Welcoming staff, nicely situated, small brekkie.
What more do you want ?

Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 10 February 2012

After a fair amount of research & review reading, we selected the Merlin Guest House. Cut to the chase: at about 5:30 AM the first morning we were awakened to CLANG! BANG! BANG! That was the neighborhood garbage truck emptying a dumpster and then a glass recycling bin...TINK! TINK! TINK! TINK! The next morning, about 6:30 AM: a semi tractor trailer rig and then a motorcycle with megaphone exhaust pipes BAHROOOM! goes zooming past. The problem: the same location that makes it so convenient to old town Key West is also a main traffic artery: i.e. Simonton street. I would never again stay in any place that faces Simonton street. It's amazingly loud! AT ALL HOURS! You have been warned!

Ok, that being said......The staff is really friendly, welcoming & helpful. They recommended some great places to eat & see & fun watering holes. The courtyard & pool area are lush, green & well maintained. It was a pleasure to sit outside & enjoy it. The continental breakfast was great...I had yogurt & granola & real orange juice...fairly substantial for me. And a nice treat.... good coffee!
The room: clean & neat. But a funny smell that at first I thought smelled like at some point somebody pee'd on the wood floor & it soaked in. Then, I realized it was a peculiarly musty smell common to many of the areas of the old town. Just took a little getting used to. The four poster bed was cool looking, but had a mattress about 6 inches thick.....I'm not kidding. Not comfortable. We like to read in bed....the light above the bed was quite high & not accessible from a sitting position on the bed. The bathroom: close to spotlessly clean, but not a good setup. No counter top for your items. Most importantly: poor & potentially hazardous shower access. You have to squeeze past the toilet to get to the shower. But once you're in it's a good shower ;-) There was a roomy 6 drawer dresser with a mirror for clothes, but as another reviewer noted, no place to put your luggage, so it's hard to avoid tripping over it!
I just didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

If you want to stay in a prime location, it's always pricey. I understand that and in most cases I'll make the sacrifice. But.....I paid almost $200 bucks a night for a tiny room and couldn't even get a good night's sleep? No, not good. Sorry. I think next time (and I hope there is a next time!) I'd look for a less expensive place a little further out of the old town & travel by the convenient city bus, rent a bike or at the worst, drive & find someplace to park close in for the day.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing Simonton street!
1 Thank JerryGowandering
home
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at this property, after staying at a sister property, Lighthouse Court, during our last KW trip. Both offer great value in a town that is not inexpensive to stay in. Needed a separate bedroom b/c we have a baby, so the cottage was perfect. The cats and chicks kept our baby girl entertained, along with the pool Great location, two blocks off Duval. Convenient to several good restaurants (7Fish, Duffy's, DJ's Clam Shack), with many more in walking distance. Close to pretty much anything you want to do or see in KW. Don't miss the Butterfly & Nature Conservancy.

• Stayed January 2012