“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #57 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The only negative in my opinion was the price and the bathroom.

Great location. Nice big room. Neat gardens and quiet atmosphere (and it's just a couple blocks away from everything I wanted!)

The gentleman at the desk was helpful when I asked about places to go and things to do.

All in all I'm glad I stayed here! And I'm usually pretty blunt with my reviews.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We just returned from 4 nights in Heron House.

Our room was enormous and very beautiful and clean, on the 2nd floor, overlooking the pool. Fridge, sink, counter, 2 love seats, big king bed, nice sized bathroom, desk, great fast wifi, small balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. Saw not one bug, not one dirty sheet, nothing weird. Water power in the shower was a bit weak and the hot seemed to give out in due time. No big surprise in this style of house, in Key West. Still was able to enjoy a nice shower; not a big negative at all.

Tasty hot breakfast with something different daily. Wonderful big breezeway where you could enjoy breakfast basically outdoors even when raining. Lovely grounds, very quiet, great location 1 block from Duval.

The staff aren't brimming over with warmth but they aren't rude, either, Just sort of businesslike and not chatty at all. But we didn't go there to meet hotel staff anyway.

Guests were couples, 40, 50, 60. (We are a 55-ish couple). No kids were there. I loved the no cell phone rule in all public areas. Also liked the woo-woo zen music playing at the pool. Overall a very pleasant experience. We are going back in about 6 weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for 9D and you will be delighted.
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a night. Heron House is an average size B&B with an attractive and cozy center patio containing a small pool, a few tables and chairs and very basic breakfast which is included in room rate. There is no parking and finding a spot so close to Duval Street is definitely not easy. Our room was one category above standard. The room size was fine but dark. We did have a really small but private patio. Bathroom was tiny and shower even tinier. The room was generally clean but had a horrible musty/damp odor. Since we checked in later in the afternoon and the front desk is unmanned from around 6 pm to the next morning; we could not ask for a remedy to this or change our room. We discovered that the odor came from the AC unit and had to shut it down which was did not make for a comfortable sleep. The next morning we complained about the odor to the front desk person; and he just gave us a smile and said it happens from time to time and obviously the AC filter needs to be cleaned. He did not offer any apology. He looked at me with such a blank face that I had to either lose my temper or save my day by walking out. I did the latter.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, specifically ask for room on second floor. They are definitely bright...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LiveAmused
Rosemark, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This was our first trip to Key West. Heron House is beautiful and you can easily access most of key west by walking. There is a small grocery store around the corner where you can buy alcohol and water and snacks. We took a snorkeling tour with danger charters and it was great. Small group, excellent guides. You can easily ride a bike around most of the island and the bike companies will deliver a bike to your hotel. The daily breakfast was different everyday and was good everyday.

Room Tip: We had one of the smaller rooms in the hotel. It was small, but had everything we needed. There is...
Reston, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Nice facility,good rooms and friendlly staff. Centrally located to main attractions of Key West.
Adults only so very relaxing but not stuffy.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We recently stayed at Heron House. We were disappointed that there was no parking available and although they told me that this is mentioned on their website, I am unable to find any mention of it now that I am back home and able to browse the website. I do feel it should be clearly stated that there is no parking. We had hired a convertible Mustang especially for this trip and had to leave the car in a car park three blocks down ($20 per day). It was still there when we came to leave which was a relief!

I would suggest the addition of a coffee/tea tray with coffee maker or little kettle or jug for boiling up water for your early morning cuppa and for an arrival hot drink. Having said that, coffee is available from the pool area from 7 am onwards until the end of breakfast. Starbucks is a short walk around the corner.

The owners have been at pains to provide for their guests' every need. There are the mini shampoo, soaps, conditioner etc. The towelling looks almost new and is clean and fluffy. There are two dressing gowns in the wardrobe, a safe, iron, ironing board and hair dryer. A small tv. A CD player was beside the bed. The bed was narrow for two people, 4'6" at the most but otherwise comfortable with plenty of pillows.

Unfortunately our bedroom smelt very musty when we arrived but we kept the fly screened window open and the door open as much as we could and after a few days the smell seemed to lessen.

They keep the rooms and surrounding areas clean and insect free. The staff are extremely nice and polite. The breakfasts are very pleasant with fresh fruit salad, cereals, breads, and eggs etc. available. Breakfast can be eaten poolside or on the deck outside your room.
The 'happy hour' wine and cheese evening we experienced was very pleasant with nice wines available and a seemingly limitless supply of cheese and biscuits available. The pool area is particularly nice with palms and tropical plants. The pool is pristine. They will not tolerate noisy behaviour which is good.

We would stay here again but would fly in next time as it was a bit of a worry about the car in a dubious looking car park. We had wanted to drive the bridges down which was great.
Heron House is well located with restaurants etc. reasonably close by.

All in all, a nice hotel with pleasant staff who genuinely wish to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were in Room 45 which, from reading other reviews, would appear to be one of their small rooms.
1 Thank Linda186299
Almont, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

looking forward to our trip in March, this is our second trip and I have compared value, price and accomadations. By far Heron House is the best, very nice, clean and convienient to everything, low keyed not fancy but comfortable. I can't see why people have anything negative to say about this B&B, I would not let that discourage you. I am a business owner and I want to go to a vacation where I can relax and enjoy, I know about customer service. The Heron House is accomadating and very professional.

Room Tip: I prefer upper so I can sit on the balcony and look over the pool
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple