“Peaceful stay in Key West”

Banana Bay Resort - Key West
Ranked #51 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Banana Bay Resort & Marina was a peaceful stay in Key West at a reasonable price. They offer free parking, a pool, a hot tub, a gazebo, and lounge chairs by the water (though I don't think you can swim in the water, only in the pool, and the pool was very cold). I never saw the Tiki Bar open, but I was only there one night. The walkway to my room was not scenic, but once inside the room, the accommodations were fine and the balcony overlooked the pool and water. Guests must be over 16, so it was quiet with no children. And the continental breakfast was fine. The front desk recommended taking cabs to and from historic Old Town rather than driving/parking, which was under $9 each way and very easy. Overall, I had a nice stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank WheninR0ma
There are newer reviews for Banana Bay Resort - Key West

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have 3 "pet peeves" or "annoyances" that I use to gauge hotel properties by. I find when hotels skimp on maintenance - these three issues are the first to crop up (as well as the most annoying):

1. Bug/Pest control maintenance

2. Regular replacement of A/C filters

3. Drains missing in tub or sink

This hotel failed on all 3 of my top three annoyances. When hotels skimp on annual maintenance the easiest place to do so is with pest control and spraying of the property. In warm, humid places (like Florida) this causes ants to creep into the rooms. I've seen ants as far up as the 15th floor in Texas - and no matter where the location - bugs indoors means a failure to keep up with semi-monthly bug/pest control.

I had ants crawling all over my next day's clothing at Banana Bay, which was laid out on the writing desk. I had to shake all my clothes out on the terrace - which - was also crawling with ants to the point I could not touch the railing or furniture.

2. Mold/Mildew - Odors of mold and mildew are primarily caused by failure to regularly change AC filters which become petri dishes for all sorts of nasty molds, mildews etc. when they remain in place for years.

3. How am I supposed to shave and dip my razor into the sink with no stopper/drain plug? I can't stand when property owners neglect this. I had to put warm water into a plastic cup and use the cup to dip my razor into for washing it off.

I complained to the hotel - and got comped (reimbursed) 1 night + tax. Someone is NOT MANAGING THIS PROPERTY.

By the way - Breakfast was advertised on the website as "7 am" and was never ready until 8 am. another minor inconvience as we were going fishing at 7:15 and had to purchase breakfast offsite due to my friend and I not being able to wait.

The pillows were okay. That's about it.

Room Tip: No elevator to 2nd floor. They do accomodate wheelchairs w/ramps to 1st floor only
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Frank R
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I was a little hesitant to stay here after reading some of the negative reviews. There are more positive reviews than negative reviews so I rolled the dice and was delighted with our choice. Considering the price in this area, I wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal but it was still very nice. A little tired in a few places but nothing to complain about. The only complaint I have is that there is no WIFI in the rooms, but not a big deal. I'm glad I stayed here and saved some money. If I ever head back to key west I'll probably stay here again.

Room Tip: If you stay near the breakfast room you can get WIFI on your patio. Also, Its a nice 25 minute walk...
1  Thank johnlearned
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We loved our stay at Banana Bay. It is an "adult only" property an so peaceful at the pool and under the palm trees with no crumb crushers screaming and running around. The drive to Duval Street or the beach is short. The staff is friendly and very helpful

1  Thank Nancy-SC
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had a terrific time. The pool area and bayside seating were excellent. The breakfast was fine. The facility was guiet at night and well maintained. We suggest that the hotel offer bikes for their guests' use. Additional enhancements would be a shuttle that is either scheduled by guests or perioidcally runs downtown and to the airport; and perhaps making several kayaks available for use in the Bay. Finally, since you have a Tiki bar, why not staff it - at least on Friday and Saturday evenings?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I so want to give this property four stars, but I can't because of the attention needed to update or spruce up the rooms. If you want a lovely, quiet atmosphere on the water at a very reasonable price, you should stay at Banana Bay........ but only if you can live with less than pristine conditions in your room. There are signs of wear from the humidity, and the cleaning staff could pay more attention to vacuuming. That being said, I asked for a room with a water view and was given a lovely, spacious room, with a king canopy bed. You won't find a room this size with additional seating area inside the room and a balcony with seating outside, in the downtown area anywhere near this price. We were very comfortable in our room, which also had a small fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. Upon our arrival, the toilet was running, so I called the front desk, and maintenance was there to fix it within five minutes. A request for washcloths was met immediately, too. The included breakfast was the usual buffet, and there was seating inside and outside. My favorite experience was taking a stroll along the water after dark, sitting in the gazebo, and swinging in the hammock swing, enjoying the glow from the pool area and the surrounding mini lights. Do bring your own wine, though, as the bar wasn't open during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
4  Thank GoingPlacesBostonMA
Reviewed 17 February 2012

WOW - for the price we paid we sure didn't get the service. 1st of all, our plans changed unexpectally at the last minute and we really needed to cancel our reservations. When we went to the front desk, we were told we could cancel but they would still charge us for the 2 nights we had booked. We asked to speak the manager and of course she was no where to be found. On our confirmation sheet it stated "subject" to be charged for late cancellation...it didn't say "you would be charged, no discussion".
We decided to suck it up and stay the night and speak to the manager in the morning. we go to the pool, freezing cold water. we try the hot tub, pump was broken and it was freezing too. Tiki Bar not open. asked about the pool...waiting on a part to fix it, it might get there by the end of the week. told they didn't open the tiki bar anymore. Really?? how aobut you put this stuff on your website or tell people this when they make reservations.
we go to our room...the TV didn't work
mold growing on railing on the balcony
walpaper peeling in the bathroom
knobs missing on the dresser
saw dust (termites?) under the desk (and was there both days we stayed)
no lights in the room where the breakfast was...little hard to see to put the butter on the toast.
no towels at the pools - went to front desk to ask about towels and was told that the head housekeeper was on vacation so the staff was slacking off while she was gone. WOW
How about the broken dock? just what you want to look at while relaxing on the so called beach area.
Went to the front desk 3 times the next day to speak to the manager and she was never there. Was told that she managed another hotel and didn't really have a set time when she would be in.
Been to the keys 5 times and wanted to try a new place to stay....should not have picked this place. We have never been so disappointed during our travels as we were with this place. Do not waste your money.

Room Tip: Do some research and stay and a B&B or in the upper keys and drive down
1  Thank Randy W