“Only stay here if you are desperate”

Banana Bay Resort - Key West
Ranked #51 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel, the photos on line looked great, we were given a room "garden view" which looked out onto the main road and the messy overgrown trees and gardens, the whole place is in desperate need of a face lift. We walked through the resort and the whole place was run down, I believe that maybe 10 years ago the place may have looked like the postcard's in reception. The room had a musty smell, glad that it was just one night, got bed bug bites to take home with me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ann E

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Don't believe every negative thing you read. We were very hesitant about staying after reading the negative comments but decided to stay anyway. The staff was extremely helpful and the room was great. It's what I called romantic with the canopy bed and wicker furniture. There were NO bed bugs or mold, just a slight musty smell but you are right on the water. Linens were crisp and white, room was clean, breakfast was good and the pool and hot tub area were lovely. Pool was warm. Beach was cute with many sitting areas although you can't swim there. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank pat g
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I recently stayed at the banana bay resort with my fiancé to celebrate our engagement and my getting a new job. I was trying to find a reasonably priced place to stay as I was booking this sort of last minute and most places in town were either booked or out of my price range. The resort looks like and appears to have been a decent place years ago and the ownership has neglected the place as it is pretty run down. The place was clean on the outside but on the inside the rooms had old carpeting and the bed seemed old as well. The room we stayed in, room 112 had a slight roach problem. This was a problem. I asked for a different room and was told they were booked as it was st patricks day weekend and spring break. Asides from the roach problem the continental breakfast was served in the tv room and that room was not very clean either. Luckily I packed my own bug spray and repellent. This place would be great if the ownership put the money into it and give it a makeover.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Winwin008
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Don't book this place according to web site. Upon signing in and going to room, the rooms we reserved 2 months in advance were not available. 2 double beds for people almost 6 feet tall. Room #101 smelled like urine and vomit. Had to buy air freshner and clorox clean-up, did not help. Carpet was so filthy our feet turned black on the way to the shower. Mattress was little better than a bale of straw and just as noisy. Had to sit just right on toilet seat or you risked falling off. Did not even have bag for dirty clothes. Brochure says they like it quiet and hope we appreciate it. Thats why we picked this place, no one under 16. But........come 10:00 at night the drunk 20somethings get taxied in to continue the party, and get taxied out at 3:00 a.m.Woke us up every morning as they left. No access to water, no chess set, no complimentary newspaper, no complimentary robe. 2 assets to this place. Crystal, at the front desk who checked us in and felt awful about not having the right rooms for us, and the manatee my husband saw in the canal on our second day. Cannot recommend this place for any reason, will definitely never come back here. We have relatives in Key West so we will probably come back. Web site needs updating, rooms need thorough cleaning, surprised board of health has not shut them down. Did not even see a vacuum cleaner with the maids. Off our list and we will make sure our friends and family know not to go here.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here and any room will be better
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine G
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Clean and well kept. secluded hideaway, very peacefull with no children running around. Nice pool, the beach area is nice but not for swimming. Grounds are very nice and well maintained. A little far to walk to Duvall street but the Trolley stop is right across the street. I would go gthere again.

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the pool and not the parking lot.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jim r
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Banana Bay Resort & Marina was a peaceful stay in Key West at a reasonable price. They offer free parking, a pool, a hot tub, a gazebo, and lounge chairs by the water (though I don't think you can swim in the water, only in the pool, and the pool was very cold). I never saw the Tiki Bar open, but I was only there one night. The walkway to my room was not scenic, but once inside the room, the accommodations were fine and the balcony overlooked the pool and water. Guests must be over 16, so it was quiet with no children. And the continental breakfast was fine. The front desk recommended taking cabs to and from historic Old Town rather than driving/parking, which was under $9 each way and very easy. Overall, I had a nice stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank WheninR0ma
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have 3 "pet peeves" or "annoyances" that I use to gauge hotel properties by. I find when hotels skimp on maintenance - these three issues are the first to crop up (as well as the most annoying):

1. Bug/Pest control maintenance

2. Regular replacement of A/C filters

3. Drains missing in tub or sink

This hotel failed on all 3 of my top three annoyances. When hotels skimp on annual maintenance the easiest place to do so is with pest control and spraying of the property. In warm, humid places (like Florida) this causes ants to creep into the rooms. I've seen ants as far up as the 15th floor in Texas - and no matter where the location - bugs indoors means a failure to keep up with semi-monthly bug/pest control.

I had ants crawling all over my next day's clothing at Banana Bay, which was laid out on the writing desk. I had to shake all my clothes out on the terrace - which - was also crawling with ants to the point I could not touch the railing or furniture.

2. Mold/Mildew - Odors of mold and mildew are primarily caused by failure to regularly change AC filters which become petri dishes for all sorts of nasty molds, mildews etc. when they remain in place for years.

3. How am I supposed to shave and dip my razor into the sink with no stopper/drain plug? I can't stand when property owners neglect this. I had to put warm water into a plastic cup and use the cup to dip my razor into for washing it off.

I complained to the hotel - and got comped (reimbursed) 1 night + tax. Someone is NOT MANAGING THIS PROPERTY.

By the way - Breakfast was advertised on the website as "7 am" and was never ready until 8 am. another minor inconvience as we were going fishing at 7:15 and had to purchase breakfast offsite due to my friend and I not being able to wait.

The pillows were okay. That's about it.

Room Tip: No elevator to 2nd floor. They do accomodate wheelchairs w/ramps to 1st floor only
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo